roller furling

  • bgoodoooo
    Message 1 of 3 , May 8, 2006
      Has anyone installed a roller furling to there boats , Im thinking
      about purchasing either the schaefer free style #sch55000 , or harken
      436 small boat furling system. Any imput would be helpful. Thanks Bret
    • dan zeitlin
      Message 2 of 3 , May 8, 2006
        Bret,
        I assume you have a 24 or 25 footer since you are
        considering systems that rely on the sail's wire luff.
        I can't speak from personal experience, having
        never actually used the luff wire type myself, but
        furling solutions that use a luff-groove device (head
        foil) insted of the sail's wire luff will certainly
        give you less headstay sag at a minimum, as well as
        other advantages. I have seen larger boats (27 - 35
        ft LOA) in the dim past with really awful sag due to
        their heavy wire luff type furling systems.
        If you have a sail with a wire luff now, you might get
        an idea of the sag by free-flying the sail upwind in a
        breeze and seeing if you are OK with what you get. I
        suspect you will want an adjustable way of tensioning
        the luff using a backstay adjuster of some kind. That
        way you will be able to crank up tension when needed
        and back it off when not needed (including in the slip
        or mooring).
        All the above is my simply IMHO and YMMV.
        Good Luck,
        Dan

        --- bgoodoooo <bgoodoooo@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone installed a roller furling to there boats
        > , Im thinking
        > about purchasing either the schaefer free style
        > #sch55000 , or harken
        > 436 small boat furling system. Any imput would be
        > helpful. Thanks Bret

        Dan Zeitlin
        Annapolis, Maryland
        <dan_zeitlin@...>
      • Allen Flanigan
        Message 3 of 3 , May 9, 2006
          Bret,

          I bought and installed the CDI flexfurl FF4 on my 25 and have been very happy with it.  Cost about $500.

          If you don't currently have roller furling you will need to convert your jib for roller furling.  Sailrite sells a kit for such conversions that works very well and is relatively easy to do yourself on a home sewing machine.  You can cover the sail with a sleeve but I think you still need to modify the luff. Figure on another couple hundred or so.

          The units you are considering are furlers only.  They are not designed to reef the jib.  This may be what you want but in terms of flexibility (being able to depower the sails when the wind picks up) you are better off with hanked on sails of different sizes or a roller reefing system that allows you to partially furl the sail so you don't get overpowered in a blow.  I can't think of too many sailing venues where you wouldn't want to have as much flexibility in setting sail area as possible.  I sail on the Potomac and the big genoa is needed most of the time in light wind but when a squall comes through it's nice to be able to reef it to maintain better balance compared to reefed main alone (hard to tack under main alone).

          Allen Flanigan

          Norma June