Any 27 owners ot there.

  • John Pender
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 16, 2006
      Hello all,

      I am seriously looking at adding a Helms 27 to my little fleet. I am
      trying to learn as much as I can about the boat before purchasing.

      After a week of searching this is what I have learned:

      Designer: Stuart Windley
      Builder: Jack A Helms Co
      Production run lasted from 1975-1987
      Learned from an old magazine that 520 were manufactured by 1985

      LOA: 26'10"
      LWL: 21'7"
      Beam: 9'8"
      Draft: 4'3"
      Displacement: 6,200lbs
      Ballast: 2,400lbs
      Mast height: 38'6"
      Sail Are: 347 sqft
      PHRF: 204

      There were two recall notices, one for "Non USCG type hoses" and one
      for "Electrical Sheathing" The USCG site states that the case was
      open from 11 1980 until 2 1981, with a note saying "closed quickly"

      Boat U.S. had little info, and stated that they did not have any
      complaint reports or defect notices on the Helms-27.

      Some unanswered questions:

      Was there a printed brochure for the 27?
      How well do they sail?
      Are there any common problem areas to look for?
      How many 27's were built ect.
      Where are they all?
      Why is there so little info available on the 27-30' Helms
      Does anyone know of a professional review being done of the any of
      the helms boats?
      How many of each of the designs were produced?

      Any and all info would be appreciated

      Take care,
      John
    • dan zeitlin
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 17, 2006
        John,
        I have owned a Helms 30 since 1978 when it was new.
        I had more than several conversations with Jack and know the boat rather well.
        From what I remember, the 27 is not much different, but I have no first hand experience with it.  If you need info on the 30, I have it.

        John Pender <fardog@...> wrote:
[...]

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        Dan Zeitlin
        Annapolis, Maryland
        <dan_zeitlin@...>

      • John Pender
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 17, 2006
          Thanks for the reply Dan,

          I can only assume that your 30 is well built and sails well, looking
          at your website it would appear that you could have upgraded to a
          new boat if you we not pleased with MOJO. It would appear that alot
          of Helms owners keep them for a good long time.

          Please send any and all info about your Helms 30 that you can.
          Brochures, line drawings, construction details, pics anything will
          be greatly appreciated.

          Thanks,
          John

          --- In sailnethelms@yahoogroups.com, dan zeitlin <dan_zeitlin@...>
          wrote:

          > John,
          > I have owned a Helms 30 since 1978 when it was new.
          > I had more than several conversations with Jack and know the
          boat rather well.
          > From what I remember, the 27 is not much different, but I have
          no first hand experience with it. If you need info on the 30, I
          have it.

          > John Pender <fardog@...> wrote:
          > Hello all,
          >
          > I am seriously looking at adding a Helms 27 to my little fleet. I
          am
          > trying to learn as much as I can about the boat before purchasing.
          >
          > After a week of searching this is what I have learned:
          >
          > Designer: Stuart Windley
          > Builder: Jack A Helms Co
          > Production run lasted from 1975-1987
          > Learned from an old magazine that 520 were manufactured by 1985
          >
          > LOA: 26'10"
          > LWL: 21'7"
          > Beam: 9'8"
          > Draft: 4'3"
          > Displacement: 6,200lbs
          > Ballast: 2,400lbs
          > Mast height: 38'6"
          > Sail Are: 347 sqft
          > PHRF: 204
          >
          > There were two recall notices, one for "Non USCG type hoses" and
          one
          > for "Electrical Sheathing" The USCG site states that the case was
          > open from 11 1980 until 2 1981, with a note saying "closed quickly"
          >
          > Boat U.S. had little info, and stated that they did not have any
          > complaint reports or defect notices on the Helms-27.
          >
          > Some unanswered questions:
          >
          > Was there a printed brochure for the 27?
          > How well do they sail?
          > Are there any common problem areas to look for?
          > How many 27's were built ect.
          > Where are they all?
          > Why is there so little info available on the 27-30' Helms
          > Does anyone know of a professional review being done of the any of
          > the helms boats?
          > How many of each of the designs were produced?
          >
          > Any and all info would be appreciated
          >

          > Take care,
          > John

          Service.