Re: [sailnethelms] Re: Where are you?

  • Dan Z
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1, 2011
      Will do.
      Meanwhile, hers's my sail a few evenings ago
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ5maNEnRWA

      Dan Zeitlin,  Annapolis, Maryland                       http://danzee.org
      Check out the illustrations of Lou Marchetti
      at http://loumarchetti.com

      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1, 2011
        Looks like you are good to go if those "u-bolt" chain plates are firmly attached and properly bedded (so they don't let in water). I'm not sure about the 24, but I think you will find the upper plates (middle of the three shrouds) are attached to an interior bulkhead. Look to see that the attachement is good and that the bulkhead to hull joint had good attachment. The lowers, the outer two plates, will be backed on the inside. Look for deck integrity at and near the plates and fix if it looks or feels questionable.
        Simply attach the shroud turnbucklles to the U-bolts.
        The backstay plate attachment (two if you have a split backstay) are obvious. Just put the turnbuckle in the hole of the tang. Forestay turnbuckle goes, you guessed it, into the stem fitting.

        --- In sailnethelms@yahoogroups.com, "seaobin" <reids@...> wrote:

        > please go under photos and look at helms 25 cleanup (last three photos)
        >
        > --- In sailnethelms@yahoogroups.com, Dan Z <dan_zeitlin@> wrote:
        > >
        > > The chain plates would be affixed to the boat and the turnbuckles to the chain plates.
        > > What attachment points do you have on the boat?
        > >

        > > Dan Zeitlin,  Annapolis, Maryland                       http://danzee.org
        > > Check out the illustrations of Lou Marchetti at http://loumarchetti.com

      • seaobin
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 1, 2011
          problem is that i have 1 of the ubolts that has the plates on it, and only one. so do I need 5 more of the plates or just the turn buckles to the ubolts

          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 1, 2011
            You mean ther are no plates on the deck in the other positions? Yes, I'm sure you need them to seal the deck. They ought to be available. It's a common arrangement. You'll have to do some detective work after you have the dimension to track down a similar part, or you can fabricate or have them fabricated from the one sample you have. CatalinaDirect.com sells a kit for the Cat27 that may be the same if you're lucky. Of course it has the u-bolts and hardware as well, but maybe . . . .

            --- In sailnethelms@yahoogroups.com, "seaobin" <reids@...> wrote:

            > problem is that i have 1 of the ubolts that has the plates on it, and only one. so do I need 5 more of the plates or just the turn buckles to the ubolts
            > --- In sailnethelms@yahoogroups.com, "dan_zeitlin" <dan_zeitlin@> wrote:
            > >

            > > Looks like you are good to go if those "u-bolt" chain plates are firmly attached and properly bedded (so they don't let in water). I'm not sure about the 24, but I think you will find the upper plates (middle of the three shrouds) are attached to an interior bulkhead. Look to see that the attachement is good and that the bulkhead to hull joint had good attachment. The lowers, the outer two plates, will be backed on the inside. Look for deck integrity at and near the plates and fix if it looks or feels questionable.
            > > Simply attach the shroud turnbucklles to the U-bolts.
            > > The backstay plate attachment (two if you have a split backstay) are obvious. Just put the turnbuckle in the hole of the tang. Forestay turnbuckle goes, you guessed it, into the stem fitting.
            > >

            > > --- In sailnethelms@yahoogroups.com, "seaobin" <reids@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > please go under photos and look at helms 25 cleanup (last three photos)

          • Rick Schmidt
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 2, 2011

              We have a  Helms 24 located on Lake Murray.  Have had for 7 years now and enjoyed it a lot.  The 6’ head room is very nice.  I have added a bimini in the last year, which has been very nice on sunny days.

              Ours also has the Yanmar Diesel.  Does anyone else have a yanmar?   It has been very reliable, but still learning a lot about Diesels.

              Rick

              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 2, 2011
                I have a Yanmar YSB-12 in my Helms 30.  Been using it since it was new in 1978.  No issues with minimal maintenance.  Added an external fuel filter and replaced the fuel tank after it developed leaks.  Other wise only occasional preventive injector cleaning and water pump impeller replacement.  It has proven to be reliable.  Always starts on first crank in the Spring.

                Dan Zeitlin,  Annapolis, Maryland                       http://danzee.org
                Check out the illustrations of Lou Marchetti
                at http://loumarchetti.com

                We have a  Helms 24 located on Lake Murray.  Have had for 7 years now and enjoyed it a lot.  The 6’ head room is very nice.  I have added a bimini in the last year, which has been very nice on sunny days.

                Ours also has the Yanmar Diesel.  Does anyone else have a yanmar?   It has been very reliable, but still learning a lot about Diesels.

                Rick

                Where are you proud Helms owners. This is a great boat that deserves some attention. I have a Helms 24 at Lake Norman Sail Club in Denver, NC. I have owned ARTWORK for only a few months and am having a ball both sailing and upgrading. Send me a note and let me know how you like your Helms.

              • rogelio
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 2, 2011
                  I have a Helms 24 on Lake Norman at my friends dock. I have not sailed " Sancho" for a while now but we will be at it again soon!!!! I like my Helms 24 very much. Lots of room and very solid!!!

                  --- In sailnethelms@yahoogroups.com, "art2sail" <art.berg@...> wrote:

                  > Where are you proud Helms owners. This is a great boat that deserves some attention. I have a Helms 24 at Lake Norman Sail Club in Denver, NC. I have owned ARTWORK for only a few months and am having a ball both sailing and upgrading. Send me a note and let me know how you like your Helms.

                • C
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 2, 2011
                    I have the 25 in East Tn. If you need any pictures or info let me know...