Re: Where are you?

  • kentmnnc
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1, 2011
      Art,

      We're in the same marina at LNSC! I bought an 82 Helms 27 in March 2011. It's a great boat! And everybody that sees it agrees. Should have the name on it in the next month or so. "Hangin On" is the intended name. Take a left on the outside dock and you'll find me in one of the inside slips.

      See you on the Lake!

      Kent

      --- In sailnethelms@yahoogroups.com, "art2sail" <art.berg@...> wrote:

      > Where are you proud Helms owners. This is a great boat that deserves some attention. I have a Helms 24 at Lake Norman Sail Club in Denver, NC. I have owned ARTWORK for only a few months and am having a ball both sailing and upgrading. Send me a note and let me know how you like your Helms.

    • Dan Z
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1, 2011
        http://danzee.org/boating/IntroNew.htm tells my Helm story.
        I was out a couple of evenings ago.  Nice breeze drove the boat to about 5.5 knots with the #2 genoa (135%) alone.  Lazy sailing.  Too hot and windless for daytime sailing lately here areound Annapolis.  Shot a video.  Maybe I should post?

        Dan Zeitlin,  Annapolis, Maryland                       http://danzee.org
        Check out the illustrations of Lou Marchetti
        at http://loumarchetti.com

        Where are you proud Helms owners. This is a great boat that deserves some attention. I have a Helms 24 at Lake Norman Sail Club in Denver, NC. I have owned ARTWORK for only a few months and am having a ball both sailing and upgrading. Send me a note and let me know how you like your Helms.

      • seaobin
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 1, 2011
          Raleigh is too hot this time of year. I hope to rig my mast for the first time in a few weeks

          Can someone post a few pics of all of the attachment points. Not sure if I need turnbuckles or turnbuckles and chain plates

          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 1, 2011
            The chain plates would be affixed to the boat and the turnbuckles to the chain plates.
            What attachment points do you have on the boat?

            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 1, 2011
              please go under photos and look at helms 25 cleanup (last three photos)

              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 1, 2011
                Will do.
                Meanwhile, hers's my sail a few evenings ago
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ5maNEnRWA

                Dan Zeitlin,  Annapolis, Maryland                       http://danzee.org
                Check out the illustrations of Lou Marchetti
                at http://loumarchetti.com

                please go under photos and look at helms 25 cleanup (last three photos)

                --- In sailnethelms@yahoogroups.com, Dan Z <dan_zeitlin@...> wrote:

                > The chain plates would be affixed to the boat and the turnbuckles to the chain plates.
                > What attachment points do you have on the boat?
                >

                > Dan Zeitlin,  Annapolis, Maryland                       http://danzee.org
                > Check out the illustrations of Lou Marchetti at http://loumarchetti.com

              • dan_zeitlin
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 1, 2011
                  Looks like you are good to go if those "u-bolt" chain plates are firmly attached and properly bedded (so they don't let in water). I'm not sure about the 24, but I think you will find the upper plates (middle of the three shrouds) are attached to an interior bulkhead. Look to see that the attachement is good and that the bulkhead to hull joint had good attachment. The lowers, the outer two plates, will be backed on the inside. Look for deck integrity at and near the plates and fix if it looks or feels questionable.
                  Simply attach the shroud turnbucklles to the U-bolts.
                  The backstay plate attachment (two if you have a split backstay) are obvious. Just put the turnbuckle in the hole of the tang. Forestay turnbuckle goes, you guessed it, into the stem fitting.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 1, 2011
                    problem is that i have 1 of the ubolts that has the plates on it, and only one. so do I need 5 more of the plates or just the turn buckles to the ubolts

                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 1, 2011
                      You mean ther are no plates on the deck in the other positions? Yes, I'm sure you need them to seal the deck. They ought to be available. It's a common arrangement. You'll have to do some detective work after you have the dimension to track down a similar part, or you can fabricate or have them fabricated from the one sample you have. CatalinaDirect.com sells a kit for the Cat27 that may be the same if you're lucky. Of course it has the u-bolts and hardware as well, but maybe . . . .

                      --- In sailnethelms@yahoogroups.com, "seaobin" <reids@...> wrote:

                      > problem is that i have 1 of the ubolts that has the plates on it, and only one. so do I need 5 more of the plates or just the turn buckles to the ubolts
                      > --- In sailnethelms@yahoogroups.com, "dan_zeitlin" <dan_zeitlin@> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > Looks like you are good to go if those "u-bolt" chain plates are firmly attached and properly bedded (so they don't let in water). I'm not sure about the 24, but I think you will find the upper plates (middle of the three shrouds) are attached to an interior bulkhead. Look to see that the attachement is good and that the bulkhead to hull joint had good attachment. The lowers, the outer two plates, will be backed on the inside. Look for deck integrity at and near the plates and fix if it looks or feels questionable.
                      > > Simply attach the shroud turnbucklles to the U-bolts.
                      > > The backstay plate attachment (two if you have a split backstay) are obvious. Just put the turnbuckle in the hole of the tang. Forestay turnbuckle goes, you guessed it, into the stem fitting.
                      > >

                      > > --- In sailnethelms@yahoogroups.com, "seaobin" <reids@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > please go under photos and look at helms 25 cleanup (last three photos)

                    • Rick Schmidt
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 2, 2011

                        We have a  Helms 24 located on Lake Murray.  Have had for 7 years now and enjoyed it a lot.  The 6’ head room is very nice.  I have added a bimini in the last year, which has been very nice on sunny days.

                        Ours also has the Yanmar Diesel.  Does anyone else have a yanmar?   It has been very reliable, but still learning a lot about Diesels.

                        Rick

                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 2, 2011
                          I have a Yanmar YSB-12 in my Helms 30.  Been using it since it was new in 1978.  No issues with minimal maintenance.  Added an external fuel filter and replaced the fuel tank after it developed leaks.  Other wise only occasional preventive injector cleaning and water pump impeller replacement.  It has proven to be reliable.  Always starts on first crank in the Spring.

                          Dan Zeitlin,  Annapolis, Maryland                       http://danzee.org
                          Check out the illustrations of Lou Marchetti
                          at http://loumarchetti.com

                          We have a  Helms 24 located on Lake Murray.  Have had for 7 years now and enjoyed it a lot.  The 6’ head room is very nice.  I have added a bimini in the last year, which has been very nice on sunny days.

                          Ours also has the Yanmar Diesel.  Does anyone else have a yanmar?   It has been very reliable, but still learning a lot about Diesels.

                          Rick

                          Where are you proud Helms owners. This is a great boat that deserves some attention. I have a Helms 24 at Lake Norman Sail Club in Denver, NC. I have owned ARTWORK for only a few months and am having a ball both sailing and upgrading. Send me a note and let me know how you like your Helms.

                        • rogelio
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 2, 2011
                            I have a Helms 24 on Lake Norman at my friends dock. I have not sailed " Sancho" for a while now but we will be at it again soon!!!! I like my Helms 24 very much. Lots of room and very solid!!!

                            --- In sailnethelms@yahoogroups.com, "art2sail" <art.berg@...> wrote:

                            > Where are you proud Helms owners. This is a great boat that deserves some attention. I have a Helms 24 at Lake Norman Sail Club in Denver, NC. I have owned ARTWORK for only a few months and am having a ball both sailing and upgrading. Send me a note and let me know how you like your Helms.

                          • C
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 2, 2011
                              I have the 25 in East Tn. If you need any pictures or info let me know...