Where are you?

  • art2sail
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1, 2011
      Where are you proud Helms owners. This is a great boat that deserves some attention. I have a Helms 24 at Lake Norman Sail Club in Denver, NC. I have owned ARTWORK for only a few months and am having a ball both sailing and upgrading. Send me a note and let me know how you like your Helms.
    • C Hughes
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1, 2011
      I'm afraid she has no name. I'm the second owner of a all original including the shag carpet(now gone). The hull needs a good buffing before a name is properly placed. Prayers poems and promises is top of the running though. We be in Ten Mile Tn. on Watts Bar lake. Only had her for two months and most of that time has been spent cleaning and fixing the little stuff. Sunday was the best wind yet. Heeled to 25% plus. I had more fun than my wife, she keep letting out the sails.
       I hate the lack of head room but love the boat. There is a 27 for sale in Knoxville for $4500.00, very tempting. We are recovering the cushions this weekend then more sail less work......
      Ill send a few pictures with this. Thats my wife cleaning..

      Message 3 of 16 , Aug 1, 2011

        My 24 didn’t have a name when I bought her a couple months ago.  Spent this weekend (Hot, No wind) cleaning fixing and getting the vinyl graphics on.   Have had a lot of fun making her personal, with mostly Good Will purchases.  Curtains, bedding etc.  I have spent a few nights aboard, love the 6” headroom and comfy cabin.

        I have only had a few days of good sailing, summers on Lake Norman, NC are not breezy.   Sail club races in Spring and Fall.  Helms is pretty quick so I look forward to it.   Good luck with your project.Helms 2.jpg

        [Attachment(s) from C Hughes included below]

[...]

        This email is intended solely for the addressees named and any other use is prohibited. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. It may contain confidential information. If you received this email in error, please contact the sender by return email. We do not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message, if it has reached you via the Internet. Any opinions expressed are those of the author and are not necessarily endorsed by the company. Recipients are advised to apply their own virus check to this message and all incoming email on delivery.
      • kentmnnc
        Message 4 of 16 , Aug 1, 2011
          Art,

          We're in the same marina at LNSC! I bought an 82 Helms 27 in March 2011. It's a great boat! And everybody that sees it agrees. Should have the name on it in the next month or so. "Hangin On" is the intended name. Take a left on the outside dock and you'll find me in one of the inside slips.

          See you on the Lake!

          Kent

          --- In sailnethelms@yahoogroups.com, "art2sail" <art.berg@...> wrote:

          > Where are you proud Helms owners. This is a great boat that deserves some attention. I have a Helms 24 at Lake Norman Sail Club in Denver, NC. I have owned ARTWORK for only a few months and am having a ball both sailing and upgrading. Send me a note and let me know how you like your Helms.

        • Dan Z
          Message 5 of 16 , Aug 1, 2011
            http://danzee.org/boating/IntroNew.htm tells my Helm story.
            I was out a couple of evenings ago.  Nice breeze drove the boat to about 5.5 knots with the #2 genoa (135%) alone.  Lazy sailing.  Too hot and windless for daytime sailing lately here areound Annapolis.  Shot a video.  Maybe I should post?

            Dan Zeitlin,  Annapolis, Maryland                       http://danzee.org
            Check out the illustrations of Lou Marchetti
            at http://loumarchetti.com

            Where are you proud Helms owners. This is a great boat that deserves some attention. I have a Helms 24 at Lake Norman Sail Club in Denver, NC. I have owned ARTWORK for only a few months and am having a ball both sailing and upgrading. Send me a note and let me know how you like your Helms.

          • seaobin
            Message 6 of 16 , Aug 1, 2011
              Raleigh is too hot this time of year. I hope to rig my mast for the first time in a few weeks

              Can someone post a few pics of all of the attachment points. Not sure if I need turnbuckles or turnbuckles and chain plates

              Message 7 of 16 , Aug 1, 2011
                The chain plates would be affixed to the boat and the turnbuckles to the chain plates.
                What attachment points do you have on the boat?

                Message 8 of 16 , Aug 1, 2011
                  please go under photos and look at helms 25 cleanup (last three photos)

                  Message 9 of 16 , Aug 1, 2011
                    Will do.
                    Meanwhile, hers's my sail a few evenings ago
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ5maNEnRWA

                    Dan Zeitlin,  Annapolis, Maryland                       http://danzee.org
                    Check out the illustrations of Lou Marchetti
                    at http://loumarchetti.com

                    please go under photos and look at helms 25 cleanup (last three photos)

                    --- In sailnethelms@yahoogroups.com, Dan Z <dan_zeitlin@...> wrote:

                    > The chain plates would be affixed to the boat and the turnbuckles to the chain plates.
                    > What attachment points do you have on the boat?
                    >

                    > Dan Zeitlin,  Annapolis, Maryland                       http://danzee.org
                    > Check out the illustrations of Lou Marchetti at http://loumarchetti.com

                  • dan_zeitlin
                    Message 10 of 16 , Aug 1, 2011
                      Looks like you are good to go if those "u-bolt" chain plates are firmly attached and properly bedded (so they don't let in water). I'm not sure about the 24, but I think you will find the upper plates (middle of the three shrouds) are attached to an interior bulkhead. Look to see that the attachement is good and that the bulkhead to hull joint had good attachment. The lowers, the outer two plates, will be backed on the inside. Look for deck integrity at and near the plates and fix if it looks or feels questionable.
                      Simply attach the shroud turnbucklles to the U-bolts.
                      The backstay plate attachment (two if you have a split backstay) are obvious. Just put the turnbuckle in the hole of the tang. Forestay turnbuckle goes, you guessed it, into the stem fitting.

                      Message 11 of 16 , Aug 1, 2011
                        problem is that i have 1 of the ubolts that has the plates on it, and only one. so do I need 5 more of the plates or just the turn buckles to the ubolts

                        Message 12 of 16 , Aug 1, 2011
                          You mean ther are no plates on the deck in the other positions? Yes, I'm sure you need them to seal the deck. They ought to be available. It's a common arrangement. You'll have to do some detective work after you have the dimension to track down a similar part, or you can fabricate or have them fabricated from the one sample you have. CatalinaDirect.com sells a kit for the Cat27 that may be the same if you're lucky. Of course it has the u-bolts and hardware as well, but maybe . . . .

                          --- In sailnethelms@yahoogroups.com, "seaobin" <reids@...> wrote:

                          > problem is that i have 1 of the ubolts that has the plates on it, and only one. so do I need 5 more of the plates or just the turn buckles to the ubolts
                          > --- In sailnethelms@yahoogroups.com, "dan_zeitlin" <dan_zeitlin@> wrote:
                          > >

                          > > Looks like you are good to go if those "u-bolt" chain plates are firmly attached and properly bedded (so they don't let in water). I'm not sure about the 24, but I think you will find the upper plates (middle of the three shrouds) are attached to an interior bulkhead. Look to see that the attachement is good and that the bulkhead to hull joint had good attachment. The lowers, the outer two plates, will be backed on the inside. Look for deck integrity at and near the plates and fix if it looks or feels questionable.
                          > > Simply attach the shroud turnbucklles to the U-bolts.
                          > > The backstay plate attachment (two if you have a split backstay) are obvious. Just put the turnbuckle in the hole of the tang. Forestay turnbuckle goes, you guessed it, into the stem fitting.
                          > >

                          > > --- In sailnethelms@yahoogroups.com, "seaobin" <reids@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > please go under photos and look at helms 25 cleanup (last three photos)

                        • Rick Schmidt
                          Message 13 of 16 , Aug 2, 2011

                            We have a  Helms 24 located on Lake Murray.  Have had for 7 years now and enjoyed it a lot.  The 6’ head room is very nice.  I have added a bimini in the last year, which has been very nice on sunny days.

                            Ours also has the Yanmar Diesel.  Does anyone else have a yanmar?   It has been very reliable, but still learning a lot about Diesels.

                            Rick

                            Message 14 of 16 , Aug 2, 2011
                              I have a Yanmar YSB-12 in my Helms 30.  Been using it since it was new in 1978.  No issues with minimal maintenance.  Added an external fuel filter and replaced the fuel tank after it developed leaks.  Other wise only occasional preventive injector cleaning and water pump impeller replacement.  It has proven to be reliable.  Always starts on first crank in the Spring.

                              Dan Zeitlin,  Annapolis, Maryland                       http://danzee.org
                              Check out the illustrations of Lou Marchetti
                              at http://loumarchetti.com

                              We have a  Helms 24 located on Lake Murray.  Have had for 7 years now and enjoyed it a lot.  The 6’ head room is very nice.  I have added a bimini in the last year, which has been very nice on sunny days.

                              Ours also has the Yanmar Diesel.  Does anyone else have a yanmar?   It has been very reliable, but still learning a lot about Diesels.

                              Rick

                              Where are you proud Helms owners. This is a great boat that deserves some attention. I have a Helms 24 at Lake Norman Sail Club in Denver, NC. I have owned ARTWORK for only a few months and am having a ball both sailing and upgrading. Send me a note and let me know how you like your Helms.

                            • rogelio
                              Message 15 of 16 , Aug 2, 2011
                                I have a Helms 24 on Lake Norman at my friends dock. I have not sailed " Sancho" for a while now but we will be at it again soon!!!! I like my Helms 24 very much. Lots of room and very solid!!!

                                Message 16 of 16 , Aug 2, 2011
                                  I have the 25 in East Tn. If you need any pictures or info let me know...