Re: [sailnethelms] Re: 1976 Helms 24 Dodger and bimini

  • david applegate
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 22, 2009
    Try sailnet in the Helms area of forums...I still check in here. Your Helms 24 is a standing head room version w/ fixed keel.  I own a 25ft center board that makes me stoop when the pop top isn't up. I mounted slides to the outside of the coaming box to fit a bimini, I can't use it while sailing due to stern mount mainsheet traveler.  I am planing to move traveler to coach roof someday.
    David
    CHIMERA

    Message 2 of 6 , Jul 22, 2009
      I have a Helms 24 and am in the process of adding a Bimini top. I found a 80" wide (72" long x 36" high) frame from Bass Pro for $75 – a catalog return. I then made a canvas top that is only 48" long. This caused the height to increase to 46". I test fitted it to the boat this past weekend. It appears to clear the mainsheet and boom well. It is close the backstay though. Next step is to mount the frame to the deck. I plan to mount on the lower deck near the genoa track, not the upper deck that the winch is mounted to.

      When I get it finished, I will attempt to add pictures to the yahoo group page. Every once in a while a Helms 24 will surface on the internet for sale that has a Bimini top. This can give you some good ideas.

      Rick