Re: 1976 Helms 24 Dodger and bimini

  • waynehelm25
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 6, 2008
      --- In sailnethelms@yahoogroups.com, "walickirobert"
      <walickirobert@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      > I am looking for help in getting a dodger and a bimini new or used) for
      > my 1976 helms 24. Any sugestions?

      I did a long search for a Bimini for my Helms 25. I Googled bimini
      tops and found a lot of sites. The price for an all stainless steel
      frame, Sunbrella, 6' long, 73" wide, 42" high, 3 bow was between $550
      and $650.
      What I found after some detailed measuring is that I will need the
      fastening point to be off center due to the main sheet location on my
      boom. I also found some good details on the Catalina Direct site.

      Wayne

    • Bud Brueggeman
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 14, 2008
        Gentlemen,

        I replied to this today, with pitures, from my cox.net account because I wasn't sure it work through here with sailnethelms closed.

        Bud Brueggeman

        > I am looking for help in getting a dodger and a bimini new or used) for
        > my 1976 helms 24. Any sugestions?

        I did a long search for a Bimini for my Helms 25. I Googled bimini
        tops and found a lot of sites. The price for an all stainless steel
        frame, Sunbrella, 6' long, 73" wide, 42" high, 3 bow was between $550
        and $650.
        What I found after some detailed measuring is that I will need the
        fastening point to be off center due to the main sheet location on my
        boom. I also found some good details on the Catalina Direct site.

        Wayne

      • chiefdangeorge18
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 20 10:17 AM
          Although this message is a year old and no one probably checks this site anymore, I'd love to see pictures and here details on getting a bimini on a Helms 24.
          --- In sailnethelms@yahoogroups.com, Bud Brueggeman <b.brueggeman@...> wrote:

          > Gentlemen,
          >
          > I replied to this today, with pitures, from my cox.net account because I wasn't sure it work through here with sailnethelms closed.
          >
          > Bud Brueggeman

        • david applegate
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 22 6:57 AM
          Try sailnet in the Helms area of forums...I still check in here. Your Helms 24 is a standing head room version w/ fixed keel.  I own a 25ft center board that makes me stoop when the pop top isn't up. I mounted slides to the outside of the coaming box to fit a bimini, I can't use it while sailing due to stern mount mainsheet traveler.  I am planing to move traveler to coach roof someday.
          David
          CHIMERA

          Although this message is a year old and no one probably checks this site anymore, I'd love to see pictures and here details on getting a bimini on a Helms 24.
          --- In sailnethelms@ yahoogroups. com, Bud Brueggeman <b.brueggeman@ ...> wrote:

          > Gentlemen,
          >
          > I replied to this today, with pitures, from my cox.net account because I wasn't sure it work through here with sailnethelms closed.
          >
          > Bud Brueggeman

        • crickschmidt
          Message 5 of 6 , Jul 22 5:51 PM
            I have a Helms 24 and am in the process of adding a Bimini top. I found a 80" wide (72" long x 36" high) frame from Bass Pro for $75 – a catalog return. I then made a canvas top that is only 48" long. This caused the height to increase to 46". I test fitted it to the boat this past weekend. It appears to clear the mainsheet and boom well. It is close the backstay though. Next step is to mount the frame to the deck. I plan to mount on the lower deck near the genoa track, not the upper deck that the winch is mounted to.

            When I get it finished, I will attempt to add pictures to the yahoo group page. Every once in a while a Helms 24 will surface on the internet for sale that has a Bimini top. This can give you some good ideas.

            Rick