Water in the cabin

  • walickirobert
    Message 1 of 4 , May 27, 2008
      On my old new Helms 24 during my first two times on the water I noticed
      some water coming into my cabin below the area of the sink, this only
      heppens when the boat is moving powered by the outboard motor. I can
      not locate the source of the leak the fittings apear OK. Any ideas
      please. How much water in the bilge is to be expected?
    • david applegate

        Message 3 of 4 , May 28, 2008

          Robert,

          As David stated, you should aim to have no water in your bilge.  Have you check the sink drain and drain piping?  I'm not familiar with the plumbing on the H24, but on my H25 the sink drain is plumbed to the swingkeel cable pipe near the center of the boat.  I removed my sink and associated plumbing but initially forgot to plug the drain hole.  Even though the drain hole is above the waterline I was getting water in the bilge during motoring and when I was in wave swells.  I've since plugged the hole and have no water.

          Maybe your sink drain pipe leaks?  Trace it back to the exit point and check all the fittings.

          Message 4 of 4 , May 29, 2008
            Robert,
            My fixed keel '78 H24 has a water tank mounted directly below the
            cockpit and behind the sink...about where an inboard would go. Take
            a look-see if you have a deck fitting, or a hose, or a tank that is
            leaking. If there is a problem near the rear of the tank such as a
            broken vent connection, it could show itself only when the outboard
            provides significant thrust to force the water in the tank to the
            rear.
            Also a thought about the ventilation ports on the transom: if the
            weight of the motor + gas tank + operator is enough to lower the
            stern just enough to slap any following waves into the ports, the
            water will eventually find it's way out. It will follow the hull
            down and show up under the sink before it goes into the bilge.
            The color/smell/taste of the water is sometimes a good indication as
            to the source of the intrusion and how long it's been hanging around
            before it shows itself in the bilge. Taste is an absolutely last
            resort if the baby powder/newspaper doesn't help.
            Cheers! - Steve

            --- In sailnethelms@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Walters <kwaltersmi@...>