  • Robert Walicki
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 11, 2007
      Hi,
      I noticed that most of the comments and questions pertain to Helms 25 boats are there any Helms 24 owners? I am in the process of purchasing Helms 24 (I have a Catalina 22 now) and I wonder if that is a wise move ( I still can back out)?
      Robert

    • dabenns
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 11, 2007
        Hi Robert,

        I have a Helms 27 and it a great boat. They way to compare a Helms
        is if a Catalina is a Chevy then a Helms is a Pontiac or Cadalic.
        That's why the one web site is Helms Yachts.

        Good Luck, Dave

        -- In sailnethelms@yahoogroups.com, Robert Walicki

        ______________
        > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

      • david applegate
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 12, 2007
          Robert,
          I think there are more 25's than all the others (combined) I've seen some production numbers somewhere, plus we are louder or type more.  I have seen some one the 24's, I think they offer standing head room where my 25 and your 22 are stoopers'. Performance wise you are really stepping up from the 22 and ahead of my 25. This is the result of the fixed keel in that 24. The fixed keel makes a lot of changes to sailing, trailering.  I manage to ground mine occasionally in "thin water" and as fas as my sailing style..may as well buy a RV if I had a fixed keel, since I'd be stuck most of the time!

          These guys are the aging dinosaurs of manufacturers no longer around,  price wise the fixed keel seems to command more per/ft. I would go over the sails with a fine tooth comb, there is a story there if you read braille.

          I sailed offshore on a Catalina that developed engine/fuel related problems. The Capt. made a call from his cell to Catalina in California for support on a Friday afternoon . You aren't going to get factory support on a HELMS, just some groups. There are 3 on Yahoo...if you don't have the links email me, eh?
          Let us know what you decide
          David Applegate

          Robert Walicki <walickirobert@...> wrote:
          Hi,
          I noticed that most of the comments and questions pertain to Helms 25 boats are there any Helms 24 owners? I am in the process of purchasing Helms 24 (I have a Catalina 22 now) and I wonder if that is a wise move ( I still can back out)?
          Robert

        • PLC
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 12, 2007
            Greetings Robert.
            I currently own a Helms 30 and a Helms 25 and have owned a Helms 24.  I'm located on Lake Norman about two hours north of Elmo, South Carolina where the Helms boats were manufactured by Jack Helms.
            There are a number of Helms sailboats here on Lake Norman.
            As  I write this email the Helms 24 is rafted up to the Helms 30.  Basically the 24 is a shortened version of the 30.
            I've also owned a Catalina 22 and you'll love going to the Helms 24 as it offers much more cabin space particularly head room.  Holler if you need any more info...I say go for it you won't be sorry.
            v/r, Pete

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 12, 2007
              I agree with Dave's comments.
              I have sailed aboard both the 25 and 24 on numerous
              occasions. You are on the right track if you can
              stand the fixed keel. While they are both nice, the
              24 is a better sailing faster boat.
              Dan

              --- Robert Walicki <walickirobert@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              > I noticed that most of the comments and questions
              > pertain to Helms 25 boats are there any Helms 24
              > owners? I am in the process of purchasing Helms 24
              > (I have a Catalina 22 now) and I wonder if that is a
              > wise move ( I still can back out)?
              > Robert

              > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

              Dan Zeitlin
              Annapolis, Maryland
              <dan_zeitlin@...>
              http://danzee.org
            • Bud Brueggeman
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 12, 2007
                I have a Helms 24 and love it!!  I live in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, and my boat is slipped in Portsmouth.  Certainly, I am pleased to hear that there are other 24' owners out there, and would like to hear and discuss more about this great sailing craft.

                Bud

                --- Robert Walicki <walickirobert@ yahoo.com> wrote:

                > Hi,
                > I noticed that most of the comments and questions
                > pertain to Helms 25 boats are there any Helms 24
                > owners? I am in the process of purchasing Helms 24
                > (I have a Catalina 22 now) and I wonder if that is a
                > wise move ( I still can back out)?
                > Robert

                > http://www.yahoo. com/r/hs

                Dan Zeitlin