Re: mast

  • Bret G Goodman
    Message 1 of 5 , May 23, 2007
      --- In sailnethelms@yahoogroups.com, Eric Swift <fatguylittlebike@...>
      wrote:

      > the rake in the mast can add weather helm to the boat. just like a
      windsurfer the further foward the mast, the more pressure it puts on
      the bow. the further aft, it puts pressure on the stern. you can trim
      the boat with rake and the leach line on your mainsail. usually a good
      rule of thumb mast strait up or forward is good for light air, and a
      mast rakes back is for heavy air. mine is slightly back and i leave it
      that way year round.

      > Eric
      >
      > Sean Reid <reids@...> wrote:
      > Mine had a shim that raked it back
      >
      > Sean
      >
      > --- In sailnethelms@yahoogroups.com, "Bret G Goodman" <bgoodoooo@>
      > wrote:
      > >Thanks Eric I did end up putting in a 1/4 shim of brass stock plate
      at mast step,then I reset all tensions and now its raked back jut a
      little , Ill let you know how she sails.

      Bret
      > > This is just a general question , when my helms 25 is in its slip
      > with
      > > all the other sailboats my mast appears to be slanted to the front
      > > compared to all other boats . it is perfectly straight when sighted
      > > from bottom of mast looking up and is in column, and she sails great,
      > > im just wandering if anyone every puts a shim under mast step to make
      > > mast go towards aft.or is this just the way a 1976 sits in the water.
      > > p.s. the cabin top where mast step is solid , no rot or soft spots.
      > >

      > ---------------------------------

    • Bret G Goodman
      Message 2 of 5 , May 23, 2007
        --- In sailnethelms@yahoogroups.com, "Sean Reid" <reids@...> wrote:

        > Mine had a shim that raked it back
        >
        > Sean
        >
        > --- In sailnethelms@yahoogroups.com, "Bret G Goodman" <bgoodoooo@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > This is just a general question , when my helms 25 is in its slip
        > with
        > > all the other sailboats my mast appears to be slanted to the front
        > > compared to all other boats . it is perfectly straight when sighted
        > > from bottom of mast looking up and is in column, and she sails great,
        > > im just wandering if anyone every puts a shim under mast step to make
        > > mast go towards aft.or is this just the way a 1976 sits in the water.
        > > p.s. the cabin top where mast step is solid , no rot or soft spots.

        Thanks Sean ,I tried putting one in last night took about 1/4 inch
        plate, but she looks just right and hope she sails as good