Re: [sailing_canoes] inflatable sail boat

  • David Elderton
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2003
      I have seen one, a commercially made model, outside a local marine shop. I
      don't know the name or anything. It looks like an inflatable yacht tender
      or small zodiac with a windsurfer rig

      DE
    • atc2099
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2003
        Just thinking out loud so to speak, but has anyone heard of an
        inflatable raft like sail boat? perhaps using the bent conduit like
        stuff they use on expidetion rafts and cata-rafts. I think you would
        almost have to use an A-frame style mast. But how would you attach
        the leeboards?
        I was think of using an off the shelf raft or inflatabe kayak. any
        body care to add any thoughts?

        Thank you
        Andrew T Clark
        Scoutmaster Troop 359 LHC
      • alex
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2, 2003
          At least some sort of frame is needed, if it will be a *boat*. Catamaran with 2 separate inflatable balloons and rigid frame in between is, I think more appropriate craft than inflatable boat, and I've seen photos of commercial inflatable sailing cats, but haven't heard any reports on performance :-). Rigid "amas" will perform better than balloons and are more reliable.
          Alex.

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 2, 2003
            > Just thinking out loud so to speak, but has anyone heard of an
            >inflatable raft like sail boat?

            You are on the right track. I love my cheap, inflatable kayak that follows
            me everywhere in the trunk of my car (or did, until family members started
            "borrowing" it). And my cheap, adjustable, take-down canoegear.com canoe
            sailing rig for my Grumman canoe, with paddle steering.

            I'm not sure what you need exactly, but there is the SeaEagle.com Paddle
            Ski...

            http://www.paddling.net/buyersguide/showBoat.html?boatID=994&boattype=Kayaks

            I'd be skeptical because it's not actually cheap, light, or compact. But it
            is interesting, and I'd love to hear if anyone has tried it out.

            Mike

          • Ronald Sell
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 2, 2003
              I don't know about inflatable, but I just got back from a mini cruise in a
              10' FOLDING dingy-- it unrigs and folds downto a 5" thick package in about
              10 minutes, cartops easily. We did an overnight trip on Lake Michigan
              around the tip of the lower penninsula, traveled 26 mi and averaged over 4
              mph, camped on the beach....

              Ron

              ----------
              > From: Mike Stallings <stallings_mike@...>
              > To: sailing_canoes@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: [sailing_canoes] inflatable sail boat
              > Date: Saturday, August 02, 2003 8:01 AM
              >
              > Just thinking out loud so to speak, but has anyone heard of an
              >inflatable raft like sail boat?

              You are on the right track. I love my cheap, inflatable kayak that follows

              me everywhere in the trunk of my car (or did, until family members started
              "borrowing" it). And my cheap, adjustable, take-down canoegear.com
              canoe
              sailing rig for my Grumman canoe, with paddle steering.

              I'm not sure what you need exactly, but there is the SeaEagle.com Paddle
              Ski...

              http://www.paddling.net/buyersguide/showBoat.html?boatID=994&boattype=Kayaks
              <http://www.paddling.net/buyersguide/showBoat.html?boatID=994&boattype=Kayak
              s>

              I'd be skeptical because it's not actually cheap, light, or compact. But
              it
              is interesting, and I'd love to hear if anyone has tried it out.

              Mike

              <http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail>

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT
              [click here:
              <http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/ed/ediets/stat_300x250_atkinsnewsvii.gi
              f>]
              <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.3551198.4824677.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050160
              61:HM/A=1663535/R=0/SIG=11ps6rfef/*http://www.ediets.com/start.cfm?code=3050
              4&media=atkins>
              [<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=194081.3551198.4824677.1261774/D=egroupma
              il/S=:HM/A=1663535/rand=135096163>]

              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
            • jhkohnen@boat-links.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 2, 2003
                There's a fellow in Corn Valley who's come up with a clever way to rig up an
                inflatable dinghy to sail. He puts the mast and daggerboard right up
                forward, and uses a big rudder for balance:

                http://www.scully-fin.com/

                http://www.boat-links.com/messabout/03/Messabout-1.html

                --
                John <jkohnen@...>
                http://www.boat-links.com/
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 4, 2003
                  The Tinker Inflatable sailboat. This boat has been around for
                  awhile. They displayed it at the Annapolis Sailboat show a few
                  years ago. It appeared to be well built.
                  Sailboy
                  http://www.tinkerinflatables.com/home.htm

                  --- In sailing_canoes@yahoogroups.com, "atc2099" <owllorddraco@w...>