more mast questions

  • andrew t clark
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2001
      I've been behind on the mast pressure and breakage diatribe. I went sailing
      with my brother week before last, and half way across the lake, my mast
      collapsed. I've been using a 11' galvanized piece of conduit, about 1" in
      diameter. but I had made a wooden spacer to attach to the bottom end to
      match the pvc mast step. This is the part that failed in a strong puff/gust.
      In my research to improve, I am thinking I will have to find a longer,
      larger diameter pipe and/or make a new spacer. A wooden mast woould be nice,
      but I don't think i have the skills to build, or the funds to purchase.
      I have a Mowhawk "nova 16" canoe and a gaff rig that I designed(with help
      from various sources especially the internet) and built myself.
      -main sail: highly modified shower curtain
      -jib sail: double layered poly plastic sheet
      -thwarts: old oak floor boards; one for the mast and one for the
      leeboards.
      -leeboards: roughly airfoil shaped plywood
      My questions: What do y'all use for masts and standing rigging? As I am
      thinking of replacing the triple flat braided polyester with something that
      is easier to tighten and stay tight. I am considering webbing and buckles.
      thank you.

      Andrew Turner Clark
      The One and Only
      Live from Wal-mart.com
      Resistance is futile
      You will be assimilated
      Scrounger on a shoe-string

    • Lew Clayman
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2001
        --- andrew t clark <atc1973@...> wrote:
        > -main sail: highly modified shower curtain
        > -jib sail: double layered poly plastic sheet
        > -thwarts: old oak floor boards; one for the mast and one for the
        > leeboards.
        > -leeboards: roughly airfoil shaped plywood

        Given the above, have you considered a length of closet rod?

        =====
        "It's never happened in the World Series competition, and it still hasn't."
        - Yogi Berra
        =====

        http://personals.yahoo.com
      • Rique@paradise.net.nz
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2001
          Hi Andrew,
          I have used bamboo for masts and spars with great sucsess, (and it's
          free) also Tyvec for sails. I don't know where you are, but here in
          NZ it costs only $o.45 a square meter!! The tape is a bit expensive
          here, but I now have enough to make several small sails.
          Go well,
          Rique

          http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp
        • K_S_ONeill@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2001
            Go to a sailing club. Yacht club, college sailing club, small boat
            club, hobie shop, whatever. Tell 'em you want a stick, some kinda
            lightweight broken mast half about 15'. Hang around, let them think
            about it, leave your phone number. Something will pop up, and it'll
            be cheap, likely.

            For example, look at my cheapo daysailor:

            http://home.swbell.net/eliz-kev/scout/scout_page.html

            yard, boom and battens are bamboo. Mast is the upper section from a
            broken Laser mast, 2" dia aluminum, lighter and stronger than the
            steel you're using. Got a bunch of them free from a private
            school dumping the sailing program afew years ago. Mast step is a
            hunk of heavy walled pvc, glassed in good top and bottom.

            Cannibalize racing classes. Fastest cheapest way to get something
            workable on the water.

            Kevin

            --- In sailing_canoes@y..., "andrew t clark" <atc1973@h...> wrote:
            > I've been behind on the mast pressure and breakage diatribe. I went
            sailing
            > with my brother week before last, and half way across the lake, my
            mast
            > collapsed. I've been using a 11' galvanized piece of conduit, about
            1" in
            > diameter. but I had made a wooden spacer to attach to the bottom end
            > match the pvc mast step. This is the part that failed in a strong
            puff/gust.
            > In my research to improve, I am thinking I will have to find a
            longer,
            > larger diameter pipe and/or make a new spacer. A wooden mast woould
            be nice,
            > but I don't think i have the skills to build, or the funds to
            purchase.
            > I have a Mowhawk "nova 16" canoe and a gaff rig that I
            designed(with help
            > from various sources especially the internet) and built myself.
            > -main sail: highly modified shower curtain
            > -jib sail: double layered poly plastic sheet
            > -thwarts: old oak floor boards; one for the mast and one for the
            > leeboards.
            > -leeboards: roughly airfoil shaped plywood
            > My questions: What do y'all use for masts and standing rigging?
            As I am
            > thinking of replacing the triple flat braided polyester with
            something that
            > is easier to tighten and stay tight. I am considering webbing and
            buckles.
            > thank you.
            >
            > Andrew Turner Clark
            > The One and Only
            > Live from Wal-mart.com
            > Resistance is futile
            > You will be assimilated
            > Scrounger on a shoe-string

            http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp
          • Fishwick
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 4, 2001
              K_S_ONeill@...
              On: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 21:00:38 -0000

              >Go to a sailing club. Yacht club, college sailing club, small boat
              >club, hobie shop, whatever. Tell 'em you want a stick, some kinda
              >lightweight broken mast half about 15'. Hang around, let them think
              >about it, leave your phone number. Something will pop up, and it'll
              >be cheap, likely.
              <cut>

              Broken windsurfer masts are quite useful too. They seem to break at
              the boom height so you're left with about 10 foot of lightweight mast
              usable for a spritsail or gunter rig.

              Simon