Swami's declaration 54 years back

  • Sai Darshan Society
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 26, 2001
      WHO IS SAI? - SWAMI'S DECLARATIONS 54 YEARS BACK

      [A letter written by Bhagawan Sri Sathya Sai Baba to
      His brother on 25 May 1947
      revealing His Mission]

      To all who are devoted to me:

      My dear one! I received the communication that you
      wrote and sent; I found in it the surging floods of
      your devotion and affection, with the undercurrents of
      doubts and anxiety. Let Me tell you that it is
      impossible to plumb the hearts and discover the
      natures of Jnanis, Yogis, ascetics, saints, sages and
      the like. People are endowed with a variety of
      characteristics and mental attitudes; so, each one
      judges according to his own angle, talks and argues in
      the light of his own nature. But we have to stick to
      our own path, our own wisdom, and our own resolution
      without getting affected by popular appraisal. As the
      proverb says, It is only the fruit laden tree that
      receives the shower of stones from passers by. The
      good always provoke the bad into calumny; the bad
      always provokes the good into derision. This is the
      nature of this world.

      One must be surprised if such things do not happen.
      The people too have to be pitied, rather than
      condemned. They do not now. They have no patience to
      judge aright. They are too full of lust, anger and
      conceit to see clearly and know fully. So they write
      all manner of things. If they only knew, they would
      not talk or write like that. We, too, should not
      attach any value to such comments and take them to
      heart, as you seem to do. Truth will certainly triumph
      some day. Untruth can never win. Untruth might appear
      to overpower Truth, but its victory will fade away and
      truth will establish itself.

      It is not the way of the great to swell when people
      offer worship, and shrink when people scoff. As a
      matter of fact, no sacred text lays down rules to
      regulate the lives of the great, prescribing the
      habits and attitudes they must adopt. They themselves
      know the path they must tread; their wisdom regulates
      and makes their acts holy. Self-reliance, beneficial
      activity - these two are their special marks. They may
      also be engaged in the promotion of the welfare of
      devotees and in allotting them the fruits of their
      actions. Why should you be affected by doubt and
      worry, so long as I am ering to these two? After all,
      the praise and blame of the opulace do not touch the
      Atma, the reality; they can touch only the outer
      physical frame.

      I have a 'Task': to foster all mankind and ensure for
      all of them lives full of Ananda. I have a 'Vow': to
      lead all who stray away from the straight path back
      again into goodness and save them. I am attached to a
      'Work' that I love: to remove the sufferings of the
      poor and grant them what they lack. I have a 'reason
      to be proud,' for I rescue all who worship and adore
      Me aright. I have My definition of 'devotion' [I
      expect that those] devoted to Me have to treat joy and
      grief, gain and loss, with equal fortitude. This means
      I will never give up those who attach themselves to
      Me. When I am thus engaged in My beneficial task, how
      can My Name be tarnished, as you apprehend? I would
      advise you not to heed such absurd talk. Mahatmas do
      not acquire greatness through someone calling them so;
      they do not become small when someone calls them
      small. Only those low ones who revel in opium and
      ganja but claim to be unexcelled yogis, only those who
      quote scriptural texts to justify their gourmandry and
      pride, only those who are dry-as-dust scholars
      exulting in their casuistry and argumentative skills,
      are moved by praise or blame.

      You must have read life stories of saints and divine
      personages; in these books you must have read of even
      worse falsehoods and more heinous imputations cast
      against them. This is the lot of Mahatmas everywhere,
      at all times. Why then do you take these things so
      much to heart? Have you not heard of dogs that howl at
      the stars? How long can they go on? Authenticity will
      soon win.

      I will not give up My Mission, nor My determination. I
      know I will carry them out; I treat the honor and
      dishonor, the fame and lame that may be the
      consequence with equal equanimity. Internally, I am
      unconcerned. I act but in the outer world; I talk and
      move about for the sake of the outer world and for
      announcing My coming to the people, else I have no
      concern even with these.

      I do not belong to any place, I am not attached to any
      name. I have no "mine" or "thine." I answer whatever
      the name you use. I go, wherever I am taken. This is
      My very First Vow. I have not disclosed this to anyone
      so far. For me the world is something afar, apart. I
      act and move only for the sake of mankind. No one can
      comprehend My Glory, whoever he is, whatever his
      method of inquiry, however long his attempt.

      You can yourself see the full Glory in the coming
      years. Devotees must have patience and forbearance. I
      am not concerned nor am I anxious that these facts
      should be made known; I have no need to write these
      words; I wrote them because I felt you will be pained
      if I do not reply.

      Thus, your Baba.

      [Source: Sathyam, Shivam, Sundaram Vol II, 8-11]

      ***

      I have come to light the lamp of love in your hearts,
      to see that it shines day by day with added luster.

      I have come not to disturb or destroy any faith, but
      to confirm each in his own faith - so that the
      Christian becomes a better Christian, the Muslim, a
      better Muslim, and the Hindu, a better Hindu.

      There is only one religion, the religion of Love;
      There is only one language, the language of the Heart;
      There is only one caste, the caste of Humanity; There
      is only one law, the law of Karma; There is only one
      God, He is Omnipresent.

      You cannot see Me, but I am the Light you see by. You
      cannot hear Me, but I am the Sound you hear by. You
      cannot know Me, but I am the Truth by which you live.

      Start the Day with Love; Spend the Day with Love; Fill
      the Day with Love; End the Day with Love; This is the
      way to God. The Lord will be watching with a thousand
      eyes the least activity of man to discover any slight
      trace of selfless love sweetening it.