Bhagavad Gita – The Book of Life - in English [Ch. 15 and 16]

  • saidevotees_worldnet@yahoo.co.in
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 27, 2006
      Bhagavad Gita – The Book of Life

      Chapter Fifteen - The Yoga of the Supreme Spirit

      The Holy Lord said:
      There is th’ eternal Ashwattha
      With roots above, branches below,
      The sacred hymns, the leaves; he who
      Knows it, is a Veda-knower. (1)

      Below, above, spread its branches,
      Nourished by the gunas; its buds
      Are sense-objects; and in the world
      Below its roots give rise to acts. (2)

      This its form is not here perceived–
      Its end, origin, existence.
      Having cut this firm-rooted tree
      With the axe of non-attachment– (3)

      Then that goal is to be sought for,
      Which, attained, they never return:
      “In that Primeval Purusha,
      Fount of actions, I seek refuge.” (4)

      Without pride, delusion–attachment conquered–
      Dwelling in the Supreme Self, without desires,
      Freed from the dualities–pleasure and pain–
      The undeluded reach that eternal Goal. (5)

      That the sun illuminates not,
      There shines neither the moon nor fire;
      For that is My Supreme Abode,
      Going whither they return not. (6)

      An eternal part of Myself,
      Becoming a soul in this world,
      Takes on the senses and the mind
      And abides within Prakriti. (7)

      When the Lord obtains a body
      And when He leaves it, He takes these
      And goes, as the wind takes the scents
      From their seats: the flowers and herbs. (8)

      Thus presiding over the ear,
      The eye, the touch, the taste, the smell–
      As also the “sense” of the mind–
      He experiences objects. (9)

      When He departs, remains, enjoys,
      Accompanied by the gunas,
      The deluded do not see Him–
      Those with the eye of knowledge see. (10)

      The yogis, striving, behold Him
      Dwelling within themselves; but the
      Unrefined, unintelligent,
      Even though striving, see Him not. (11)

      The light which resides in the sun,
      That light illumines the whole world;
      That which is in the moon and fire–
      Know that light to be Mine as well. (12)

      Entering the earth, I support
      All beings with My energy.
      Having become the wat’ry moon,
      I Myself cause all plants to thrive. (13)

      Dwelling within living beings
      In the form of digestive fire,
      Joined with prana and apana,
      Do I digest the fourfold food. (14)

      I am seated within all hearts;
      Memory, knowledge, and their loss
      Proceed from Me: for I am the
      Veda’s Goal, Author, and Knower. (15)

      Two Purushas are in this world–
      The Changing and the Unchanging.
      All beings comprise the Changing,
      Kutastha is the Unchanging. (16)

      But there is also the Supreme
      Purusha, called the Highest Self,
      Immutable Lord, Who pervades
      All the three worlds and sustains them. (17)

      I transcend the Changing and am
      Above even the Unchanging,
      So in this world and the Veda
      I am called the Supreme Spirit. (18)

      He who, free from delusion, thus
      Knows Me as the Supreme Spirit,
      He, knowing all, thus worships Me
      With all his heart, O Bharata. (19)

      Knowing this most secret teaching
      Imparted by Me, one awakes
      To the highest enlightenment–
      All his duties thus accomplished. (20)
      Om Tat Sat
      Thus in the Upanishads of the glorious Bhagavad Gita, the science of the Eternal, the scripture of Yoga, the dialogue between Sri Krishna and Arjuna, ends the fifteenth discourse entitled: The Yoga of the Supreme Spirit.

      Chapter Sixteen - Yoga of the Division between the Divine and the Demoniacal

      The Holy Lord said:
      Courage, purity, firmness in
      Knowledge and yoga, almsgiving,
      Sense-control, sacrifice, study,
      Austerity, and uprightness, (1)

      Harmlessness, absence of anger,
      Truthfulness, renunciation,
      Tranquillity, truth, compassion,
      Uncovetousness, gentleness, (2)

      Boldness, forgiveness, fortitude,
      Purity, absence of hatred,
      Absence of pride–all these belong
      To one born for a divine state. (3)

      Flamboyance, arrogance, anger,
      Self-conceit, harshness, ignorance–
      All these qualities belong to
      One born for a demonic state. (4)

      The divine state is deemed to make
      For liberation–for bondage,
      The demonic; but do not grieve:
      You are born for a divine state. (5)

      There are two types of beings in
      This world: divine and demonic.
      The divine type has been described;
      Now hear of the demonic type. (6)

      Those of demonic nature know
      Not what to do or refrain from;
      Purity is not found in them,
      Nor is good conduct, nor is truth. (7)

      “The universe is without truth,
      Without a basis, without God,
      Produced by mutual union,
      With lust for cause–what else?” say they. (8)

      Holding this view, these ruined souls
      Small-minded and of cruel deeds
      Arise as the enemies of
      The world, bent on its destruction. (9)

      Filled with insatiable desires,
      Full of hypocrisy, pride, and
      Arrogance, holding evil thoughts
      Through delusion, they foully work. (10)

      Beset with immense cares ending
      Only with death, and regarding
      Gratification of lust as
      The highest–feeling it is all; (11)

      Bound by a hundred ties of hope,
      Given over to lust and wrath,
      They strive to gain by unjust means
      Wealth for sensual enjoyment. (12)

      “This today has been gained by me;
      And this desire I shall obtain;
      All this is mine, and now this wealth
      Also shall be mine in future. (13)

      “I slew that enemy, and more
      I shall slay. For I am the Lord,
      I enjoy, I am successful,
      Perfect, powerful, and happy. (14)

      “I am rich and well-born,” they say,
      “Who else is equal unto me?
      I will sacrifice, give, rejoice.”
      Thus deluded by ignorance, (15)

      Led astray by many fancies,
      Covered by delusion’s meshes,
      Addicted to gratifying
      Lust, they fall into a foul hell. (16)

      Self-conceited, stubborn, filled with
      The pride and foolishness of wealth,
      They sacrifice in name, for show,
      Contrary to the prescribed forms. (17)

      Given over to egoism,
      Power, insolence, lust and wrath,
      These malignant people hate Me
      In both themselves and in others. (18)

      These malicious evildoers,
      Cruel, most degraded of men,
      I hurl perpetu’lly into
      Only the wombs of demons here. (19)

      Entering the demonic wombs,
      And deluded birth after birth,
      Not attaining to Me, they fall
      Into still lower conditions. (20)

      Yea, triple is this gate of hell,
      That is destructive of the self–
      Lust, anger, and greed; therefore one
      Should forsake ev’ry one of these. (21)

      The man who has got beyond these
      Three gates of darkness, Arjuna,
      Practices what is good for him,
      And thus goes to the Goal Supreme. (22)

      He who sets aside the counsels
      Of scriptures from desire’s impulse,
      Attains not unto perfection,
      Nor happiness, nor Goal Supreme. (23)

      The scriptures should be your guide in
      What should be done and what should not.
      Knowing what the scriptures prescribe,
      You should act here within the world. (24)
      Om Tat Sat
      Thus in the Upanishads of the glorious Bhagavad Gita, the science of the Eternal, the scripture of Yoga, the dialogue between Sri Krishna and Arjuna, ends the sixteenth discourse entitled: The Yoga of the Division between the Divine and the Demoniacal.

      TO BE CONTINUED...