Please remember your parents and all elder

  • sheshagiri.shenoy@veco.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2005

      From: sheshagiri.shenoy@...

      Good Morning

      Today is World Elders Day. Please remember your parents and all elder who have sacrificed a lot for us.I seek all elders their blessing and best wishes on this day. Have a nice day and a good weekend.

      Regards

      Sh esha giri

      **

      When an old lady died in the geriatric ward of a small hospital near Dundee , Scotland , it was felt that she had nothing left of any value.
      Later, when the nurses were going through her meager possessions, they found this poem. It's quality and content so impressed the staff that copies were made and distributed to every nurse in the hospital. One nurse took her copy to Ireland . The old lady's sole bequest to posterity has since appeared in the Christmas edition of the News Magazine of the North Ireland Association for Mental Health. A slide presentation has also been made based on her simple, but eloquent, poem. And this little old Scottish lady, with nothing left to give to the world, is now the author of this "anonymous" poem winging across the Internet.

      An Old Lady's Poem

      What do you see, nurses, what do you see?
      What are you thinking when you're looking at me?
      A crabby old woman, not very wise,
      Uncertain of habit, with faraway eyes?

      Who dribbles her food and makes no reply
      When you say in a loud voice, "I do wish you'd try!"
      Who seems not to notice the things that you do,
      And forever is losing a stocking or shoe...

      Who, resisting or not, lets you do as you will,
      With bathing and feeding, the long day to fill...
      Is that what you're thinking? Is that what you see?
      Then open your eyes, nurse; you're not looking at me.

      I'll tell you who I am as I sit here so still,
      As I do at your bidding, as I eat at your will.
      I'm a small child of ten...with a father and mother,
      Brothers and sisters, who love one another.

      A young girl of sixteen, with wings on her feet,
      Dreaming that soon now a lover she'll meet.
      A bride soon at twenty -- my heart gives a leap,
      Remembering the vows that I promised to keep.

      At twenty-five now, I have young of my own,
      Who need me to guide and a secure happy home.
      A woman of thirty, my young now grown fast,
      Bound to each other with ties that should last.

      At forty, my young sons have grown and are gone,
      But my man's beside me to see I don't mourn.
      At fifty once more, babies play round my knee,
      Again we know children, my loved one and me.

      Dark days are upon me, my husband is dead;
      I look at the future, I shudder with dread.
      For my young are all rearing young of their own,
      And I think of the years and the love that I've known.

      I'm now an old woman...and nature is cruel;
      'Tis jest to make old age look like a fool.
      The body, it crumbles, grace and vigor depart,
      There is now a stone where I once had a heart.

      But inside this old carcass a young girl still dwells,
      And now and again my battered heart swells.
      I remember the joys, I remember the pai n,
      And I'm loving and living life over again.

      I think of the years...all too few, gone too fast,
      And accept the stark fact that nothing can last.
      So open your eyes, people, open and see,
      Not a crabby old woman; look closer...see ME!

      Remember this poem when you next meet an old person who you might brush aside without looking at the young soul within...we will one day be there, too!

      ANGER IS A CONDITION IN WHICH
      the tongue works faster than the mind.

      YOU CAN'T CHANGE THE PAST,
      but you can ruin the present
      by worrying over the future.

      LOVE...AND YOU SHALL BE LOVED.

      GOD ALWAYS GIVES HIS BEST TO THOSE
      who leave the choice with Him.

      ALL PEOPLE SMILE IN THE SAME LANGUAGE.

      EVERYONE NEEDS TO BE LOVED...
      especially when they do not deserve it.

      THE REAL MEASURE OF A MAN'S WEALTH
      is what he has invested in eternity.

      LAUGHTER IS GOD'S SUNSHINE.

      EVERYONE HAS BEAUTY
      but not everyone sees it.

      IT'S IMPORTANT FOR PARENTS TO LIVE
      the same things they teach.

      THANK GOD FOR WHAT YOU HAVE,
      TRUST GOD for what you need.

      IF YOU FILL YOUR HEART WITH REGRETS OF YESTERDAY AND THE WORRIES OF TOMORROW,
      you have no today to be thankful for.

      MAN LOOKS AT OUTWARD APPEARANCE
      but the Lord looks within.

      THE CHOICE YOU MAKE TODAY
      will usually affect tomorrow.

      TAKE TIME TO LAUGH, FOR IT IS
      the music of the soul.

      PATIENCE IS THE ABILITY TO IDLE YOUR MOTOR
      when you feel like stripping your gears.

      LOVE IS STRENGTHENED BY WORKING
      through conflicts together.

      HARSH WORDS BREAK NO BONES
      but they do break hearts.

      TO GET OUT OF A DIFFICULTY,
      one usually must go through it.

      WE TAKE FOR GRANTED THE THINGS
      that we should be giving thanks for.

      LOVE IS THE ONLY THING THAT CAN BE
      divided without being diminished.

      HAPPINESS IS ENHANCED BY OTHERS
      but does not depend upon others.

      FOR EVERY MINUTE YOU ARE ANGRY WITH SOMEONE,
      you lose 60 seconds of happiness
      that you can never get back.

      DO WHAT YOU CAN, FOR WHO YOU CAN,
      with what you have, and where you are.