DASARA DIVINE DISCOURSE ON 7-10-2005

  • saienterprises@mtnl.net.in
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 11, 2005
      DASARA DIVINE DISCOURSE ON 7-10-2005
      THE INDWELLER IS GOD HIMSELF
      During childhood, man develops absorbing
      interest in play in the company of other children;
      During youth, under the influence of cupid
      he roams about in the company of women with infatuation;
      During the middle age he is entangled in worldly
      matters and deeply engrossed in hoarding wealth;
      And lastly in old age he craves for this and that
      not contemplating on God even at that ripe age.
      Unable to get rid of old habits,
      Unable to develop interest in Godward path,
      Man wastes his precious human birth,
      Deeply enmeshed in the web of karma.
      (Telugu poem)
      Embodiments of Love!
      Man spends his life time thus, deeply enmeshed in pursuing ephemeral
      things. He is carried away by unproductive thoughts depending upon the
      particular stage of growth he is passing through. Ultimately he
      realises that, he has, in fact, wasted his precious human birth in vain
      pursuits. Is this the real nature of a human being? Is this what he has
      to learn in life? These activities are momentary like water bubbles.
      They cannot provide lasting happiness to man. It is mere foolishness to
      spend one’s time in such futile pursuits.
      When God takes birth in human form, people doubt whether he is born
      like any other human being from the mother’s womb or out of His Divine
      will. The fact is when God takes birth in human form, he selects His
      parents. He carries on with His avataric mission with the help of the
      form He has assumed. This happens in every age. Same was the case with
      Lord Krishna in the Dwapara Yuga. He made friendship with the Pandavas.
      In fact, He was friend, philosopher and guide to them. He constantly
      protected them against the machinations of the wicked Kauvaras. When
      they were engaged in the Kurukshetra war with the Kauravas, Krishna
      donned the role of a Ratha Sarathi (charioteer) to Arjuna and led the
      Pandavas to victory.
      After the war ended, Lord Krishna informed the Pandavas that He would
      leave for His palace in Dwaraka. He wanted one of the five Pandava
      brothers to accompany Him during this journey. Kunthi, the mother of
      Pandavas, suggested that Krishna may take Arjuna with Him, since they
      were very close to each other. Accordingly, Lord Krishna took Arjuna to
      Dwaraka and provided all comforts to him during his stay there. Arjuna
      was a bit embarrassed to take avail of the services rendered by Lord
      Krishna to him. He told Krishna “Oh! Lord! How can I take services from
      You?” Krishna replied, “Arjuna! You are mistaken. Whom am I serving? Is
      it your body? Even your body belongs to Me. It is not yours. I am the
      protector of all beings in the world. You, therefore, should not delude
      yourself thinking that you are the body.
      The body is made up of five elements and is bound to perish sooner or
      later, but the Indweller has neither birth nor death. The Indweller has
      no attachment whatsoever and is the eternal witness. Truly Speaking,
      the Dehi (indweller) is Devadeva (God of gods) Himself.
      (Telugu Poem)
      “I am that Devadeva. You identify yourself with the body out of
      delusion and say “I”. But, that is not your real Self. You are not the
      body. As long as you identify yourself with the body, you remain as the
      individual being (Jiva). Once you come out of that delusion, you become
      one with Deva (the Supreme Self). Hence, give up attachment to the
      body. The human body is like a doll. However, one has to perform all
      his karmas using the body as the instrument. Man has the right only to
      perform karma. The entire world moves on account of karma. I am the
      Director of this cosmic play, Oh! Arjuna!”, said Lord Krishna.
      The Yadavas with whom Krishna spent His entire life perished due to
      their ego and hatred. In the end, Krishna Himself gave up the human
      vesture and left for His divine abode. Watching these developments
      helplessly, Arjuna wept inconsolably. Unable to bear the separation
      from his dear Lord, friend, philosopher and guide, he wailed, “Oh!
      Krishna! You have been constantly protecting me and guarding me. Now
      that you left for your heavenly abode, in whom shall I seek refuge?” At
      last, realising the futility of spending his time in grief, he returned
      to Hasthinapura.
      The city of Dwaraka presented a scene of total destruction. The entire
      Yadava clan had perished. Arjuna did not know what to do in those
      circumstances. He remembered the possibility of his mother Kunthi
      enquiring about the welfare of Lord Krishna and the Yadavas. A hundred
      and one questions cropped up in his mind, but he had no answers for any
      of them. Finally, Arjuna collected all the Gopikas and started on his
      march out of Dwaraka, as per the Divine command. Suddenly Arjuna and
      the Gopikas were surrounded by a horde of forest dwelling nomads. But,
      to his utter dismay, Arjuna could not even lift his bow, the Gandiva;
      strange indeed! The great warrior Arjuna who tore the opposing army
      lines into pieces with utter ease in the Kurukshetra war, could not
      even lift his Gandiva now. He lamented at his helplessness and prayed
      to Krishna “Oh! Lord Krishna! What has happened to all my strength?
      Where is it gone now?” Again, he answered to himself: “He who had
      granted this power to me has now taken it back.”
      At last, in utter helplessness and agony, he prayed to Lord
      Krishna “Oh! Lord! You have to protect your Gopikas yourself. I am
      helpless.” Finally Arjuna reached Hasthinapura along with some of the
      Gopikas who could be saved from the clutches of the barbarians by the
      divine grace of Krishna. There, Arjuna found the people in great
      despair. He could not understand the reason for their sorrow.
      Meanwhile, Dharmaraja was very anxious to know from Arjuna the welfare
      of Lord Krishna. Arjuna replied, “I will tell you everything that had
      happened, in detail.” Mother Kunthi was, however, very anxious to know
      about the welfare of Lord Krishna. She enquired: “Son! Arjuna! Is my
      dear Krishna alright? Please tell me in detail as to what had happened
      during your stay in Dwaraka.” She was very eager to know the facts and
      Arjuna could not but reveal the truth. Finally, he steadied himself and
      related everything about the departure of Krishna for His heavenly
      abode and the subsequent developments. The moment Arjuna revealed that
      Krishna had shed His mortal coil, mother Kunthi could not bear the
      grief and she collapsed on the cot on which she was sitting..
      Dharmaraja rushed to her side and tried to console her saying, “Mother!
      What was destined to happen, had happened. These are all the Divine
      leelas of Lord Krishna. There is no use grieving over these
      developments. Please get up.” But, mother Kunthi did not respond. He
      realised that she had left her mortal coil. He put her head on his lap
      and called all his brothers. He gave instructions to his brothers for
      performing the obsequies of mother Kunthi. At the same time, he gave
      instructions for the necessary arrangements to be made for the
      coronation of young Parikshit, the heir apparent, as the King of
      Hasthinapura.
      Thereafter, he called Nakula and Sahadeva to his side and told them to
      make arrangements for their Mahaprasthana (the great march) of the
      Pandavas to the Himalayas. Droupadi, the queen of the Pandavas, who was
      witnessing these developments could not maintain her poise anymore. She
      could not bear the double loss of Lord Krishna’s departure on the one
      side and the sudden demise of mother Kunthi on the other. Dharmaraja
      called Arjuna and instructed him to make arrangements for the cremation
      of the dead body of mother Kunthi. Arjuna complied with his
      instructions. The brothers could not contain their grief. They wept
      inconsolably on two counts – one for losing their dear Lord Krishna and
      the other over the death of their beloved mother. Dharmaraja led the
      funeral procession, carrying the fire in an earthen pot. The same
      tradition was in vogue in those days also. As the funeral procession
      was proceeding, the people of Hastinapura could not contain their
      emotions. Finally, when the body of mother Kunthi was placed on the
      funeral pyre in the cremation ground, Dharmaraja lit the pyre. In a few
      moments, the mortal body of mother Kunthi was consigned to flames. The
      Pandava brothers returned home.
      The next item on their agenda was to perform the coronation of young
      Parikshit . What a great wonder! They lost their dear mother; they lost
      their very life breath, Lord Krishna; yet they were now prepared to
      perform the coronation of Parikshit with perfect calm and poise! Time
      marches on! And, all things that have to be performed have to take
      their course. The kingdom of Hastinapura has to be protected. Thinking
      thus, the priests started chanting the Vedic mantras for conducting the
      rituals connected with the coronation of Parikshit. He was brought into
      the court and the royal crown was placed on his head amidst the
      chanting of Vedic mantras by the priests. Parikshit was, however, very
      unhappy and pleaded with the Pandavas, “Oh! My dear grandfathers! You
      are all great kings. You are still hale and healthy. Is it proper for
      me to wear the royal crown in your esteemed presence? Do I deserve to
      wear this royal crown? How worthless and insignificant am I! Some one
      of you, please wear this crown and rule the country.” The Pandava
      brothers tried to convince Parikshit saying, “Dear child! We will not
      be here anymore to rule this kingdom. There must be someone to look
      after the welfare of the people as king of this great country. You have
      to, therefore, shoulder this responsibility. The affairs of the kingdom
      have to be looked after. You should not flinch from your duty in
      ensuring the continuity of the regal obligations.” Explaining thus and
      convincing the young Parikshit, they sat down. Thereafter, the
      coronation of Parikshit as the King of Hastinapura was performed as per
      the wishes of Dharmaraja. Parikshit too bowed to the wishes of
      Dharmaraja and allowed the rituals of coronation to be completed. The
      Pandavas then started on their great march to the Himalayas, straight
      from the royal court where the coronation of Parikshit was being held.
      They immersed the ashes of their mother in the holy river Ganges.
      Thereafter, they continued their march in the Himalayas, proceeding one
      behind the other. Dharmaraja, the eldest of the Pandavas, led the great
      march. Bhima, Arjuna, Nakula and Sahadeva followed him in that order.
      Droupadi, being the wife of the five Pandava brothers, walked behind
      the brothers.
      While the Pandavas and their queen Droupadi were thus proceeding in
      their great march to the Himalayas, Droupadi first dropped down.
      Thereafter, the four brothers, Sahadeva, Nakula, Arjuna and Bhima
      dropped down in that order during the course of their jouney. But, none
      among them looked behind during their march. For each of them, it was a
      lone journey to their final abode. Finally, Dharmaraja was alone and he
      continued his march.
      In this manner, the Pandavas’ earthly sojourn came to an end. Pariskhit
      was grief-stricken when he came to know about their departure from this
      world. When they set out on the Mahaprasthana, people were unable to
      bear their separation and hence many of them shed their mortal coils.
      It appeared as though destiny was unkind towards the Pandavas. Who can
      understand its ways! None, except God, can know about the turn of
      events in one’s life. One may don ochre robes, but that will not enable
      him to know what the future has in store for him.
      The Pandavas symbolised virtues and valour. They could shed their
      mortal coils peacefully as they had led their lives in an ideal manner
      and sanctified their time in the contemplation of God.
      Like the Pandavas, King Parikshit was also one of virtues and valour.
      Even while carrying out his kingly duties He spent his time in
      namasmarana. When he took over the reigns of Hasthinapura, some evil
      minded kings joined hands and waged a war against him. They
      underestimated his strength and valour thinking that he was young and
      inexperienced. But, some other noble kings came to his rescue. With
      their help, Parikshit could vanquish the enemies and assert his
      supremacy. He could emerge victorious due to his unflinching faith in
      God. That is why I often tell you - God is your sole refuge wherever
      you are - whether on the mountain top or in the sky or in the town or
      in the city or in the middle of the deep sea.
      When Parikshit was anointed as the king, initially people were
      apprehensive as to how a young boy could shape the destiny of a
      kingdom. However, under the able guidance of Kripacharya’s son,
      Parikshit proved to be an efficient king. He followed in the foot steps
      of the Pandavas. He took some time off from his royal duties and went
      to the place where the Pandavas shed their mortal coils. He performed
      pradakshina (circumambulation) and wore the dust of their feet on his
      head in reverence. He practised and propagated their ideals. The
      Pandavas are ideals to the entire world. We should emulate their ideals
      and sanctify our lives. We may have to face sorrows and suffering, but
      should remain undeterred by emotional obstacles. Only then will the
      true power and strength manifest in us. When we follow the ideals of
      the Pandavas, we will experience peace, happiness and prosperity.

      Students!
      You are young and have a long life ahead of you. Pariskhit was much
      younger to you when he ascended the throne. However, he took up the
      challenge with admirable courage and faith in God. He stood as an ideal
      to the young generation. You too should develop such courage and
      fortitude and strive for the welfare of society. That is the true
      ideal. Pray to God to bestow on you the necessary strength to hold on
      to this ideal. The Pandavas left the world long ago but their ideal is
      eternal and ever fresh. You should cherish their ideal in your heart
      and try to follow the same in letter and spirit.

      Embodiments of Love! Students!
      All of you are highly virtuous. You should be an ideal to others. Never
      give room for sorrow. Be always fearless. You don’t need to be a slave
      to others. Have firm faith that God is always with you, guiding you and
      guarding you. Having God firmly installed in your heart and with the
      divine name on your lips, you should march forward saying Jai, Jai,
      Jai....