UNITY, PURITY, DIVINITY

  • saienterprises@mtnl.net.in
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 19, 2005
      UNITY, PURITY, DIVINITY

      During his childhood man develops absorbing interest in play in the
      company of other children. In youth and middle age, he is entangled in
      worldly matters and deeply engrossed in money earning. Finally in old
      age, he craves for this and that without contemplating on God even at
      that ripe age. Thus, he wastes his precious human birth.
      (Telugu poem)

      In this world, there are millions of educated people. Right from a
      child to a learned old man, everyone is interested in reading books and
      acquiring knowledge. But in what way are they benefited by the
      acquisition of bookish knowledge? Such education can only help you to
      eke out a livelihood. Right from a pauper to a millionaire, everybody
      wants his children to be well educated. Parents are prepared to spend
      any amount of money and they even borrow money (even beyond their
      means) to provide quality education to their children. In spite of the
      fact that the parents face a lot of hardship in educating their
      children, the children do not have any gratitude towards their
      benefactors. They do not introspect, “Who is responsible for all my
      development? Who has made me what I am today?” Under these
      circumstances, we should enquire into the true purpose of education.
      One may study a number of books and master various branches of
      knowledge, but does he enjoy peace and tranquillity? All the knowledge
      that we acquire from books can only take care of our physical needs.
      The fact is, true knowledge is latent in everyone. Women do not lag
      behind men in academic excellence. People think that education confers
      on them respect and esteem. But, people lack true wisdom in spite of
      their high academic achievements.

      In the present parents want their children to pursue solely job-
      oriented education. But, what is the use of such education which does
      not bring about transformation among children? Neither are the children
      benefited nor are they able to render any help to their parents. Modern
      man develops ego on account of his educational achievements. Humility
      is the hallmark of true education. If a man lacks viveka
      (discrimination) and vinaya (humility), all his education is of no
      value. You should understand that your education is meant for the
      welfare and progress of society. But, in what way is society benefited
      by educated people? Actually, you are learning many things from society
      and derive benefit from it. But power of discrimination which is found
      even in uneducated people is not to be found in the so-called educated
      people today. When this is the true state of affairs why should the
      educated get inflated with ego? There is scarcely any humility among
      students today. They show no respect towards elders. They do not
      realise their responsibilities towards society. What is the use of
      merely acquiring bookish knowledge if one does not respect elders and
      serve society? One who leads such a life is not true to his nature. His
      walking, talking, reading, writing, everything becomes an affectation.
      If this is the result of academic education, why should one go to
      college at all? Every student must enquire into himself, “What am I
      doing in the college? What am I supposed to do?” Only when he conducts
      such self-enquiry, can he understand the true meaning of education.
      Mere bookish knowledge is not true education. It is merely transfer of
      what is contained in pustaka (book) to mastaka (head) and vice-versa.
      In this manner, people are entangled between pustaka and mastaka
      without really understanding the true meaning of education. They are
      wasting their time in the pursuit of bookish knowledge instead of
      acquiring practical knowledge. No doubt there is a lot of information
      in pustaka, but what purpose does it serve if the mastaka is filled
      with filth? You can never achieve the desired results from such an
      education. The same was explained by the chief guest in his
      address. “Though all people learn and study, what is the ultimate
      result out of this?” he questioned. People spend thousands of rupees
      for acquiring academic education. What is the role the educated people
      play in society today? Do they contribute for peace in society? Do they
      try to bring about transformation in individuals? No. In fact, they are
      unable to inculcate discipline to their own children. Most children may
      pretend to be well behaved and humble in the presence of their parents,
      but they behave like rowdies once they step out of their houses.

      Students should strive to earn a good name in society. Today’s
      education is making the students materialistic. It does not prepare the
      students to turn inward to listen to their inner voice. One should
      acquire Atma Prabodha (Atmic knowledge). That is true education.
      Without awareness of the Self, all other knowledge is useless. Why
      should one pursue such education?

      People are interested in exercising their influence and power; they are
      not making efforts to cleanse their mind and heart. This is the result
      of modern education. People have learnt to talk sweetly, but they do
      not translate their words into action.

      Embodiments of Love!

      Mere learning by rote the contents of books is not important. You
      should imbibe the gandha (essence) of all Granthas (texts). That is
      true education. People read a number of books, but what is the use?
      They merely quote what others have said. Is this what you are supposed
      to learn? You should listen to the prompting / utterance of your inner
      voice and share it with others. But, scarcely anybody thinks on these
      lines today.

      Embodiments of Love!

      You must put into practice at least one or two principles of what you
      have learnt and set an example to others. There are many learned
      scholars, but do they practise what they have learnt? They appear to be
      people of eminence (‘chief’), but they are cheap in their behaviour.
      The end of education is character. We should consider character as our
      very life-breath. Education without character is useless like half-
      cooked rice. We should practise at least one or two principles and only
      then venture to preach to others.

      There are three important principles in every human being – Manas
      (Mind), Buddhi (Intellect) and Atma (Self). What is the nature of Self?
      It is all-pervasive. True education is that which originates from the
      heart. The reference in this context is to the spiritual heart and not
      the physical heart. There are many noble souls who are setting ideals
      to society by translating their knowledge into action. If you do not
      act in a principled manner, all your education becomes useless. It is
      what you practise that matters, not what you speak. Wherever you may
      go, your behaviour should be exemplary. That is what pleases Me.

      Happiness is union with God. You are not ordinary mortals. All are
      essentially divine. In order to realise your true nature, practise what
      you preach. Only then can you experience bliss. Verily, bliss is the
      true nature of man. Why should you give up that which is natural to you
      and lead an artificial life? Wherever you see, in colleges and schools,
      students lack practical knowledge. They give importance, only to
      bookish knowledge and become ‘books’ themselves. True education is that
      which originates from the heart. Heart is very important for human
      existence. When a child is born, the first thing that people observe is
      the heart beat. You should rely more on your spiritual heart than on
      the physical heart. Conscience is another name for spiritual heart.
      Keep your heart pure. That should be your main endeavour. Whatever is
      done with love and purity of heart will confer bliss on you. In fact,
      bliss is latent in everyone. But man is unaware of this truth. One
      should make every effort to manifest one’s innate bliss in him. What is
      the nature of this bliss? Nityanandam, Parama Sukhadam, Kevalam
      Jnanamurtim, Dwandwateetam (God is the embodiment of eternal bliss, He
      is wisdom absolute, beyond the pair of opposites). It transcends
      duality. So long one is immersed in duality one cannot experience
      bliss. First of all one should understand the principle of unity. Unity
      leads to purity and purity leads to divinity. A true human being is one
      who strives for unity, purity and divinity. Otherwise, he is no better
      than birds and animals. First, purify your senses and develop unity.
      Consider all as your brothers and sisters and live in harmony. In
      public meetings, we hear the speakers addressing people as brothers and
      sisters. But do they really mean what they say? Do you find unity among
      brothers and sisters today? No. True happiness lies in unity. Human
      life can be compared to a tree. Our relations are like branches and sub-
      branches. Contemplation of God is like a flower from which you will get
      the fruit of bliss.

      Students!
      You can certainly acquire secular knowledge. But you should not rest
      contented with that. You should turn inward and acquire spiritual
      knowledge as well. Only then can you attain peace.

      Embodiments of Love!
      Love is the essence of education. Bereft of love, education is
      artificial. Therefore, develop love in the first instance. Understand
      that the indweller is the same though bodies are different. Hold on to
      this fundamental principle and experience Ananda (bliss). So many of
      you have assembled here. Everyone’s attention is focused on Swami. In
      the same manner, let your mind be focused on divinity always.
      Contemplate on God. Serve your fellowmen. If a person who has been
      starving for ten days is served a sumptuous feast, you can well imagine
      the joy he experiences. When all the tanks and lakes are dried to a
      trickle, you can imagine the joy that a continuous downpour brings with
      it. Similarly, serve those who are in desperate need of your help. Give
      them happiness. You can attain divinity only through service. Human
      life is most precious. But, man is behaving like an animal and thus
      wasting his life.

      Students!
      Being Vidyarthis, you should endeavour to aquire true Vidya
      (education). There is no point in merely going through books without
      understanding the true meaning of Vidya. Always contemplate on the
      fundamental principle of life. Beings are many, but the Divine
      principle is one and the same. Hence, recognise the principle of
      divinity that is present in all in the form of Atma. Atma is Adhara
      (support) and body is Adheya (the supported). Consider Atma as the
      basis of your life and everything else will be taken care of. Everyone
      can have the vision of the Atma. All are endowed with such power.
      Enquire into yourself what have you achieved by going through a number
      of voluminous books? You have become hard-hearted. If this is the
      result of your education why should you study at all? First of all,
      develop love. When you have love in you, everyone will become your
      friend. If your heart is not suffused with love, your life will become
      artificial. Life is meaningless without love. If everyone shares his
      love with his neighbour, there will be no room for hatred at all. Share
      your love with everyone and live like brothers and sisters. Today we
      find conflicts and differences even among brothers and sisters, because
      they lack proper understanding.

      People do not understand the true meaning of love. Their love is
      tainted with physical and worldly feelings. When you understand the
      principle of love and develop love to love relationship, all will
      become one. The Veda says, “Sahasra Seersha Purushah ...” It means that
      all heads, all eyes, all feet are His. Once you understand the
      principle of oneness that is present in all, you can live in tune with
      the true spirit of brotherhood.

      Our hand has five fingers and each of them has a specific duty assigned
      to it. All the fingers work in unison and harmony while performing a
      task. Once an argument ensued among the five fingers of the hand as to
      which finger among them is the great. The thumb claimed, “It is not
      possible to undertake any work without me. Hence, I am the great.” Then
      the index finger smiled and said, “Look here, Oh thumb! How can you
      perform any task without my support? Moreover, I am used as pointer to
      identify individuals. Hence, I am greater than you.” The middle finger
      intervened and said, “There is no point in what you say. I am the
      tallest among all the fingers. Two of you on one side and two on the
      other are serving me as ADCs. Hence, I am the greatest.” Then the ring-
      finger said, “I feel like laughing at your ignorance. Don’t you know
      that people adorn me with gold rings studded with precious stones like
      diamond, emerald, topaz, etc.? Hence, I am your king.” In the end, the
      little finger said, “I always lead from the front when it comes to
      teaching a lesson to someone and punishing the guilty. Hence, I am your
      leader and you have to follow me.” As the fingers were arguing among
      themselves in this manner, the heart intervened and said, “Oh ignorant
      ones! Each one of you is as important as the other. One cannot perform
      any task if there is no unity and harmony among you. In fact, you
      represent the five human values which are like five life-breaths of a
      human being.” Hearing these words of wisdom, the five fingers realised
      their mistake and bent their head in shame. A deep enquiry reveals that
      the heart is the greatest of all. Body, mind and intellect are mere
      instruments. Hence, one should follow the advice of the heart in all
      his endeavours. Understand that all are one and each one is equally
      important. Do not become egoistic thinking that you alone are very
      important. Do not waste your precious time in vain argumentation. Be
      friendly with all and face the challenges of life with unity and
      harmony.

      Students!
      You have to lead your lives in an ideal manner. In fact, all ideals are
      latent in you. They cannot be learnt from books. The principle of ‘I’
      is common in all. If someone asks, “Who is Sai Baba?” I respond
      saying, ‘I’. If someone asks who is the Vice Chancellor? He will
      say, ‘I’. The single letter ‘I’ represents the principle of Atma. The
      Veda declares, Ekameva Adviteeyam Brahma (God is one without a second).
      True spirituality lies in knowing your true Self. But you are unable to
      know your true Self as you identify yourself with the body.
      Identification with the body gives rise to ego. One with ego cannot
      know the reality. Your welfare and also of others will be ensured when
      you have a firm conviction that all are one. Develop such a spirit of
      unity. You cannot expect divinity to manifest in you unless you
      cultivate such unity. The Veda has exhorted:

      Let us all move together, let us all grow together,
      Let us all stay united and share our knowledge,
      Let us live together with friendship and harmony. (Telugu poem)

      Some students do not share even their textbooks with others. How can
      they attain happiness if they are so self-centred and narrow-minded?
      You should all stand united. Where there is unity, there is bliss.

      Embodiments of Love!
      There is only one thing that you have to learn. Develop love. The same
      principle of love is present in you, in Me and in everyone. I see only
      love in others. Hence, all are one for Me. You too should develop such
      feelings of love and equality. All are one, be alike to everyone. This
      is what you have to learn today.

      Embodiments of Love!
      Along with the acquisition of secular knowledge, you should also make
      efforts to understand the principle of oneness. Only then can you
      achieve unity and harmony. Take for instance this rose flower. It
      consists of a number of petals. Likewise, our heart can be compared to
      a flower and the virtues are like petals. The petals of a rose flower
      may fade and fall by the next day, but the flower of heart remains ever
      fresh. It symbolises the principle of oneness. People worship the
      Navagrahas (nine planets) to invoke their blessings. You might have
      observed that there is perfect unity and harmony among the nine
      planets. (Bhagawan with a wave of his hand materialised a gold ring
      studded with nine types of gems.) Here you see a Navaratna ring.
      Whoever wears this ring will be protected by the Navagrahas wherever he
      goes.

      Develop unity. Be courageous and develop the necessary strength to face
      the vicissitudes of life. I don’t want to take much of your time.
      Whatever you have learnt here, let it be imprinted in your heart. Only
      then can you attain peace and your education will become meaningful.

      Embodiments of Love!
      I shower My love and blessings on one and all. Be always united and
      spend your time in a bliss. Make your parents happy. Your body is given
      to you by your parents. Hence, first of all, express your gratitude to
      them for this gift. Only then can you find fulfilment in life.

      Bhagawan concluded His Discourse with the Bhajan, “Prema Muditha Manase
      Kaho …”

      source:http://www.sssbpt.org/Pages/Prasanthi_Nilayam/International_Conference.htm