Significance Of Meditation (Part 4 Of 7)

  • Swamy Mahadevan
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2006

      Meditation is a mind free from thoughts. Meditation is the heart of
      yoga, the roof of Sadhana, the master key to knowledge the stream of
      love, the sacrificial rite that earns the richness of the Guru's
      Grace. Meditation is also one form of the Guru. Many will ask now to
      meditate and for how long. These are primary and essential
      questions. It is said in the Gita. The vision of the Self is
      obtained through meditation. In the Srimad Bhagavata it says : "In
      the meditation the Sadhaka becomes the form of God."

      Just we have occupied in mundane activities, our mind also is
      immersed in love for God in meditation. When the mind becomes empty
      of thoughts and becomes one with the Self, we reach a very high
      state. So we must keep our mind empty. When we wakeup after sleep,
      we experience a few moments when our mind is free of thoughts. We
      should make our mind peaceful and thought free, so that it becomes
      no different from the Self. This progress is to come in meditation.

      PART 4

      Does Constant Meditation Develop Great Powers?

      "Constant meditation develops great powers. The letters of the
      Mantra become prominent and are flashed before the mental eye and
      they seem to burn like fire. Whenever repeated with an object in
      view, the object will be attained with the help of the Mantra which
      reveals itself as described above. Such a Mantra is usually known
      as 'Siddha Mantra'. When uttered, it is capable of producing the
      most extraordinary results. Similarly, when concentration is on a
      deity for a long time and according to a fixed procedure with
      devotion and under the guidance of a ,competent Guru, your Istha-
      Devata will be realised. This Deity reveals itself before the
      Sadhaka and offers him everything he desires. Your Istba-Devata
      never leaves you and remains practically at your side always. The
      concentration should make you entirely oblivious of the surroundings
      and you should think of yourself as one with the Universal energy.
      Your mind should think of yourself as one with the Universal energy.
      Your mind should be akin to Susupti or deep sleep condition. When
      this is practised for a long time, certain signs appear before your
      mental eye and your Istha Devata show conclusively that the Sadhaka
      is progressing towards the realisation of your Istha Devata. The
      signs appear in five successive stages. The sign in the beginning is
      the vision of mirage. This gives place gradually in the second stage
      to a vision of smoke. In the third stage, the Sadhaka visualises
      bright sparks in the space in the form of fire flies. The form of
      light is seen in the fourth stage which is replaced in the fifth
      stage by a constant light like that of the cloudless sky. That is to
      say, when meditation is practiced for a sufficient length of time,
      you see the vision of a constant light which does not revert to the
      other four inferior stages. The light referred here is the Light of
      Pure Satva. When the mind is deeply absorbed in that quality, then,
      indeed, does this condition of Light which is free from all pain
      follow. This is the Jyothi, light which is the sure sign of constant
      meditation on the deity can now be practised with confidence in
      order that the deity may appear before the Sadhaka in a vision. In
      the beginning the vision will appear, disappear and again reappear.
      By constant practice, the vision becomes permanent. Then you should
      have reached perfection when this state is reached. The deity will
      confer on you all that you desire and never leaves you. Thereby, you
      become endowed with supernatural powers and acquire control over the
      Law of Nature. To attain the above, one must have enough patience,
      regular practice for years or perhaps for a whole life time.
      Everything depends on faith and Sadhana. The Sadhana is the greatest
      and most glorious mystic experience that can be attained in your
      life. Your life would be aimless without pursuit of Sadhana."

      These Golden words were preached by Sri Sankaracharya.

      Our sorrows are our teachers. We must wipe of our ignorance and
      passions. Ignorance is destroyed by wisdom. The desires and thoughts
      are to be understood. When we observe highly bright colours during
      our meditation we see a form in that colour. The brightness of the
      colour equals to that of the Sun. The colour depends on our
      thoughts. Each of Kama-Krodha etc. have a different colours. By
      identifying the colour.in the meditation, we can know what Guna is
      predorninant in our mind. After some time, these colours in
      meditation embrace each other into one and we can see the form
      clearly. We must practise to identify this.

      "Do Sadhana to experience the state of thoughtlessness (Nirvikalpa
      Sthithi) through meditation. This is definitely superior State. In
      the state of Nirvikalpa Samadhi, every thing appears as 'Brahmam'.
      When the illusion of life ceases we will experience the Supreme
      Knowledge that we are 'Para- Brahrna'. Our Ajnana will be burnt in
      the fire of that knowledge. We should not stop At that. We must
      further know that 'Paramatma' is in us only. This .can be realized
      by only Meditation.

      We must cry for God to experience His sweetness in meditation. Our
      sorrows drop off as we turn inwards deeply in meditation. If we
      meditate on Sri Sai Baba wholeheartedly, we shall have a blessed
      life. If we meditate on Baba through Nirvikalpa Samadhi, we will
      become eternal and prove to be the sole Supreme Consciousness. If we
      have faith in Sri Sai Baba and meditate, our mind shall be pristine,
      pure (Suddha-Satvika). If we thus meditate, we shall experience
      certain appearances such as Divine Light (Jyothi). Such appearances
      are proof that our mind is sanctified.

      Meditation does not mean a Karma done with the mind. Meditation is
      looking into all the transactions of Karma generated in the mind.
      This is the insight. The insight is the one that wipes out our
      defects. This deep insight removes our sorrows and worries.
      Meditative life is a blessed life and get Divine pleasure. We must
      always make ourselves Atma Vimarsha by recapitulating all that we
      have so far done in this birth.

      Baba said to one of His devotee : "Have complete faith in Me and
      give away your wants to Me. Who asked you to suffer? While 1 am
      showing the right path, you are going in a wrong way. If you have
      got confidence in Me, 1 shall reveal all the secrets relating to My
      Philosophy. Perpetual meditation is the way of your life. Qualities
      like anger, grief, greed are making you restless. By constant
      meditation you can get rid them off. Selfless deeds and thoughts
      purify your mind. Practise this through your meditation."

      Baba also says - 'Those who take complete refuge in Me and think of
      Me always in meditation, they are able to see the Universe in their
      bodies and passions of mind as Chaitanya, but also 1 will show
      various colourful visions, sounds and other worlds in the
      meditation. To those who manage to see the external world as inert
      in meditation, 1 will slow to such people the place of 'Diwividhya
      Tyagi'. 1 am the 'Adwaitha Brahma'.

      Baba says: "If you meditate on Me with perseverance and
      concentration, you will get results. Such people can get over Maya
      or the 'Tri gunas'. 1 am responsible for well being of those who are
      devoid of egoism and attachment. Treat pain and pleasure equally.
      Offer your mind and Buddhi to Me and then meditate with one-pointed
      mind. Some. of you are inviting your own down fall by practising
      sorcery against My devotees being foolishly prompted by arrogance,
      jealousy and hatred. All of you must meditate on Me, with firm faith
      that 1 am the father and mother of this Universe. Know that 1 am in
      those who meditate on Me, with complete faith, then they are in Me.'

      Sri Sai Baba always says: 'If one ever meditates on Me, repeats My
      name, sings My deeds and is thus transformed into Me, one's Karma is
      destroyed. 1 stand by his side always.'

      It was Baba's look out to see that His nature and attitude towards
      His devotees should be thoroughly well impressed upon devotees mind
      and look after their welfare. Baba had to repeat his efforts to
      ensure the thorough fixing of these valuable truths and impressions
      in Chandorkar's mind. The most common and basic things one would
      include in the list of ordinary man's needs are water to drink and
      food to eat. By a kind act, act of Divine Providence, Baba provides
      these two to His devotees.

      In meditation, render your mind vacant and spirituous all of your
      senses. Then only the world outside will disappear. In order to
      reach the inner world, we transcend our mind and the senses. This is
      possible only in meditation.

      "Meditation' means - 'Releasing liberation from the shackles of the
      Finite into the freedom of 'infinite'. This process is called

      The aim of meditation is to make contact with the Reality. This is
      possible only after the self of the body mind complex is duly
      penetrated. This is possible only when the subtle as well as the
      causal body surpasses, when the body-consciousness takes its place.

      Concentration must not be mistaken for meditation. For
      concentration, things are important. Purity of consciousness moral
      awareness and spiritual discrimination. Concentration is below
      senses and meditation is beyond senses. If we are interested in
      meditation, we must undertake the journey from below the senses and
      beyond the senses. When we experience Blissful consciousness, that
      experience is meditation.

      When the individual awareness is released from the clutches of the
      body-rnind consciousness and loses its identity and rnerges with the
      Divine Consciousness, that is called meditation.

      So we must try to practise such meditation and thereby we will gain

      Meditation is the name for a period of rest provided for the busy
      and wayward mind.

      The Vasanas i.e. recollection of past experiences, influences the
      thought process, ie. the mind plays the time and the body acts out
      the role through five senses of Karma Indriyas.

      Detachment of the mind from the Sense,objects as well as the relief
      from the consequent mental agitation, are essential for success in

      We must be vigilant, never lose our temper, avoid pride, and
      tendency of fault finding of others. A sense of joy is necessary for
      concentration and, meditation.

      Jai Sai Ram
      Swamy Mahadevan
      Bow to Shri Sai-Peace be to all