The Authentic Voice

  • saibabanews
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 6, 2007
      Ramchand Chugani <rgcjp@...> wrote:
      Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 03:37:54 -0700 (PDT)
      From: Ramchand Chugani <rgcjp@...>
      Subject: THE AUTHENTIC VOICE

      SRI SATHYA SAI BABA

      DIVINE LOVE AND GUIDANCE

        The Authentic Voice (Source Sanathana Sarthi, July 1958

       Sathya Said Baba has often said that He had tried hard to postpone announcing that  He was Avatar, until at last the call became irresistible in his 14th year. Even during His childhood, His divine powers broke through and astounded all who experienced them. He could see into the future and the past

      He could read people’s mind, And He could create anything out of nothing. Above all, words of profound wisdom---the authentic voice itself---fell from those lips when He cared to advise or admonish anyone.

      Nothing more clearly illustrates this aspect of the Avatar than the advice He gave to renunciates at two different times---One while He was 15 and the other 16 years later. Strangely enough, the advice He gave them both identical. These two instances reveal that only an Avatar can penetrate so deeply into personality, admonish with such love and compassion, and grant boons with such assurance and authority.

      In the summer of 1951, the town of Bukkapatnam, which is adjacent to Puttaparthi was all agog with celebrations in connection with the visit of a renuciate called Digambara swami. He had lost the use of his legs, and the more devoted among his followers were carrying him about in kind of cradle.

      But he had a great reputation for scholarship and spirituality. His Bukkapatnam admirers were eager to pit him against our young Baba at puttaparthi and watch the reaction. Of the sweet little divine child and the hefty hero who would not talk

      So, one evening they carried him into Puttaparthi village and seated him in the house where Baba was. Baba gave Digambara swami a teaching and a towel!! “If you have cut off all relationships with society and social decencies—and I do not say it is wrong---then your place is in some forest or mountain cave,” said Baba to naked ascetic. “On the other hand, if you crave the comforts of social life, do not make this show of non-attachment. The teenaged boy continued.

      I know your problems, you are afraid you won’t get food regularly if you retire from the company of men. Is not that so ? And mark these words. Well, I assure you that I shall give you food regularly wherever you are---in the Himalayas or in Dandakaranya a forest !” That was the authentic voice. Only an AVATAR could have declared so.

      Sixteen years later, Baba had occasion to meet another renunciation. He was profound scholar in Eastern and Western philosophy and noted practitioner of raja-yoga, the path of union between devotion and action. At more than seventy years old, this renunciation was engaged in establishing and fostering centers of certain religious organization . After his interview with Baba, he spoke about it at a meeting in Puttaparthi.

      At that time, the renunciation said, “It was wonderful Baba told me about rare and elevating yogic experience I had had years before He Baba was born! He rebuked me midly for running about with delusion that I was doing great good for the world by my activities. He said that if only I continued my yogic practices from the stage that early experience had elevated me to, I would , from whatever retreat I was in, do more good for the world than by my present efforts.

      This was advice no one so far had blessed me with, and it struck me as most correct and timely for my spiritual development. Then, turning to me while I was leaving His presence. He BABA said, “Wherever you are, do not worry, I shall look after you and give you sustenance.. These were the selfsame words He had spoken 16 years before! … That was the authentic voice.

      Who but an Avatar could  give such an assurance and honor it, as Sathya Said Baba does?

      --N. Kasturi

      Source: sanathana Sarathi, July 1958

      .

      Ram Chugani
      Kobe, Japan
      rgcjp@...

    • Ramchand Chugani
      Message 2 of 2 , May 10, 2010
        Bhagawan has often said that He was endeavouring hard to postpone the announcement of His Avatarhood, until, at last the call became irresistible in His fourteenth year. Even during His childhood, His Divine powers broke through and astounded all who experienced them. He could see forward into the future and back into the past. He could read people’s minds like the pages of a book. He could create anything out of nothing. Above all, words of profound wisdom—the Authentic Voice—itself fell from those lips, when He cared to advise or admonish anyone.
        Nothing more clearly illustrates this aspect of His Avatarhood than the advice He gave to different Sanyasis, at two different times, one, while He was a ‘young lad of fifteen’ and the other sixteen years later. Strangely enough, the advice He gave them both are identical. These two instances reveal that only an Avatar can penetrate so deeply into personality, admonish with such love and compassion, and grant boons with such assurance and authority.
        In 1967, Bhagawan had an occasion to meet a Sanyasi. He was a profound scholar in Eastern and Western philosophy, and a noted practitioner of Raja Yoga. He was more than seventy years old, and engaged in establishing and fostering centres of a certain religious organisation. After his interview with Baba, this Sanyasi spoke about it at a meeting at Puttaparthi itself, and so, it is best to give here a summary of what he himself said then. “It is wonderful! Baba told me about a rare and elevating Yogic experience I had, years before He (Baba) was ‘born’! He rebuked me mildly for running about with the delusion, that I am doing great good to the world by my activities. He said that, if only I continued my Yogic Sadhanas, from the stage to which that early experience has elevated me, I would, from whatever retreat I was in, do more good to the world than by my present efforts. This was an advice no one had so far blessed me with; and, it struck me as most correct and timely, for my spiritual development. And, turning to me, while I was leaving His Presence, He said, “Wherever you are, do not have any worry! I shall look after you and give you sustenance!” The self-same words He spoke sixteen years back to Digambara Swami, the naked saint who had come to Bukkapattanam! He had advised him then: “If you have cut off all relationships with society and social decencies and I do not say it is wrong, then, your place is in some forest or mountain cave.” “On the other hand, if you have the craving for the comforts of social life do not have this show of non-attachment.” These were the words that fell from the lips of the ‘teenage boy’ and, He continued, “I know your problem. You are afraid that you won’t get food regularly, if you retire from the company of men, isn’t it?” asked Baba and, mark these words “Well! I assure you that I shall give you food, regularly wherever you are, in the Himalayas or in Dandakaranya!” The Authentic Voice. Who else, but only an Avatar could give that assurance and honour it as Bhagawan Sri Sathya Sai Baba does?

        Ram Chugani
        Kobe, Japan