OH: Pipeline plan concerns residents

  • Hacksaw
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 13, 2012
      A 90 foot wide ROW for a 16 inch pipeline? A little overkill there?

      http://www.zanesvilletimesrecorder.com/article/20120413/NEWS01/204130301/Pipeline-plan-concerns-residents-Tri-Valley-area

      Pipeline plan concerns residents in Tri-Valley area

      Apr. 13, 2012

      Written by
      Brian Gadd
      Staff Writer

      FRAZEYSBURG -- Dave Bonifant has enlisted the help of Columbus attorneys to fight a proposed natural gas pipeline he says could damage his Nashport-area property.

      He's asking neighboring property owners to do the same.

      Bonifant, who lives on Evans Road, said the proposed route for Enterprise Products' Appalachia to Texas Express Pipeline doesn't make good business sense and could damage property values as it winds its way through Coshocton, Muskingum and Licking counties.

      He has asked attorneys Bill Goldman and Mike Braunstein, who specialize in eminent domain cases, to go to bat for him and other residents, ahead of signing over any easement rights.

      Houston-based Enterprise Products announced in late 2011 its intention to use existing pipeline right-of-way through 13 Ohio counties to install pipeline to carry natural gas products such as ethane from the Marcellus and Utica shale formations play west to Missouri and then south to Texas.

      The company already has secured Chesapeake Energy, a major player in the area's shale development, as a client and would transport up to 75,000 barrels per day of Chesapeake's natural gas recoveries.

      "They want a 50-foot easement forever, and a 40-foot easement for the time they are under construction," Bonifant said. "I've got 83 acres, a tree farm, and they would take out about 3.2 acres. That's not in the scheme of my plans."

      Ed Lewis of Granville, who owns 200 acres in Muskingum County and 100 acres in Licking County near Bonifant's property, is also worried about the pipeline.

      "It's going to cut down a lot of my trees," Lewis said. "A 90-foot easement, that seems pretty extreme to put in a 16-inch pipeline."

      Goldman said if the pipeline goes through -- and there's every indication that the 1,230-mile project will be under construction next year and operational in 2014 -- the only recourse property owners have "is to alter its path if it's going to do more damage to property than it should."

      "To the extent that we can't stop it, we want to make sure people get fair compensation for their easements and the damage it may cause," he said.

      He said some residents have already been visited by surveyors and given preliminary offers of between $3,000 to $9,000 an acre.

      "That's great, but how much will their property be reduced in value because of having a pipeline running through their property?" Goldman said.

      April Eskins, who lives on Brushy Fork Road, said she is worried she won't be able to sell her home if the pipeline passes through her property.

      "I am not happy about it," she said. "I've only got one-third of an acre. That would be too close."

      Marne Road resident Jason Black said although only a small portion of the pipeline would cross his property, the line would pass through an adjacent property within about 100-feet of his water well.

      "I just bought my house, and I'm afraid of losing equity in my home," Black said.

      Brandy Tilton of Coshocton said while the big fear in the whole area is the affect of future fracking into the Utica Shale, the pipeline project appears to be a little more immediate.

      "If we want to build out here past Frazeysburg, who would want to? This pipeline is basically telling people where they can't build," she said. "I'm glad people are starting to talk about this, before we get trapped into an easement."