Silent Discipline (6.9.2005)

  • Gita Prapann Parivar
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5, 2005
      :Shree Hari:

      Bhadrapad Shukla Tritiya, Vikram Samvat 2062, Mangalvar
      6th September, 2005, Tuesday

      Ram Ram

      This is the summary of the pravachan given by Swami Ramsukhdasji on 29.4.1991 at 5 a.m. the cassette of which was played today at Gita Bhavan, Rishikesh, India.

      Silent Discipline

      Q. Can we do satsang continuously like we do naam jap (name chanting)?
      A. Satsang can be done more than you can do name chanting. You cannot chant God's name continuously, but you can do mook satsang (silent discipline) continuously.

      Q. Can both be done together?
      A. Yes. Both are complementary. They help each other. You do not have to leave name chanting for silent discipline. If it gets left, it does not matter but you should not leave it.

      Q. Can you explain silent discipline in detail.
      A. Staying silent is natural. It is your natural state. Action is not important. In one rupee 15 annas is the purpose of your action, 3 paise is the feeling behind your action and the action itself is worth 1 paisa. (99% purpose, 0.9% feeling and 0.1% action). Join all your actions with God - they will become exceptional. Like if you put anything in fire, it will start shining. Coal is black but starts shining if you put it in the fire.

      Action will begin and end. You were in inaction in the beginning and after the action ends you will be in inaction. The action is perishable. The inaction is not. The inaction (silence) is always there. Even thinking is action. Silence does not mean keeping quiet only. It means - being situate in the IS. No thought. (Gita 6:25). Slowly and steadily he becomes indifferent to everything else and is situate in God. There is no thought whatsoever. This is silent meditation. Silence means - no thought. Being quiet is not important - no thought is important.You are naturally situate in the IS. The IS is reality. You have no relation with the NOT.

      There is separation from any action in the beginning and in the end. It is a principle that what is not there in the beginning and not there in the end is not there in the middle also. What is there in the beginning and in the end, is there is the middle also. So, there is separation/inaction/silence in the beginning and separation/inaction/silence in the end also - therefore there is separation/inaction/silence in the middle also. Action cannot stay without inaction. Inaction is the basis of action. Even during action - there is no change in the inaction. It stays the way it is. Like a swing has to come to its starting position before going forward or backwards. Who is equanimous, is situate in God. Equanimity is reality - is inaction. Differences cannot effect equanimity.

      Fix your mind in what IS and do not think of anything else. When you do not think of anything a lot of thoughts will come (based on your past actions). At this time remember these three things (i) do not think of the thought as good or bad, (ii) do not try and stop or remove the thought and (iii) decide and accept that the thought has no relation with me and is not mine or in me. The thought comes in the mind which is an inner instrument. It is not our form. When I do not want to write, I am not concerned how good or bad the pen is. I have nothing to do with the mind so I am not concerned whether good or bad thoughts are coming in it. You have no relation with the mind or the thoughts that come in it.

      Ram Ram

      Gist:
      Be silent - means total surrender. No thought. No relation with any thought or action. Being situate in the IS. Having no relation with the NOT.

      For full pravachans in Hindi please visit www.swamiramsukhdasji.org

      P.S: Please pass on this message to whomever you think would benefit from the same.
      Email your comments/questions to sadasya@...