How To Eradicate Desire (2.8.2005)

  • Gita Prapann Parivar
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2005
      :Shree Hari:

      Shravan Krishna Trayodashi, Vikram Samvat 2062, Mangalvar
      2nd August, 2005, Tuesday

      Ram Ram

      This is the summary of the pravachan given by Swami Ramsukhdasji on 2.3.1991 at 5 a.m. the cassette of which was played today at Gita Bhavan, Rishikesh, India.

      How To Eradicate Desire

      Q. How to eradicate desire - is it dependant on the grace of God or our efforts?
      A. It is dependant on your aim. God's Grace is always there and we are capable of achieving it by our efforts. We all have the capability to be desireless [because we are desireless] - to renounce attachment and aversion (raag and dvesh). As long as you like and are happy in favourable circumstances and dislike and are sad in unfavourable circumstances, your attachment and aversion will not go and you will not be able to renounce desire. The most important thing is to make your goal. You must want to eradicate the desire within you. Today the goal is to make money, become famous, get praised. The correct aim is not there. Just having the power is of no use if you do not use the power, if you do not want to utilise the power, if there is no aim to use the power.

      Q. How can we make this goal?
      A. The goal is made by thought. Think - why have I come here? How can I attain eternal peace? How can I be free of all sufferings and sorrows forever? How can I attain permanent bliss? Today, millions are spent on education, but most do not know what the aim of education is. Like a dog hankers after a morsel of bread, today's leaders hanker after votes.

      Desire is the root of all sin (Gita 3:37). Even after hearing satsang the thought that is coming to your mind is that desire should be renounced, not that I will renounce desire. You do not have to kill desire - it shall happen itself - once your goal is firm. Just leaving action is not dispassion (vairagya). Once your goal is set and still you find that you have not been able to renounce then the desire shall make you restless, you will not be able to sit comfortably and relax. If desires do not make you restless, then your goal is not set, you do not want to renounce desires.

      Q. Is dispassion necessary for God realisation?
      A. This is like asking do you need eyes to see. Having attachment to the world, you can never realise God.

      Q. What is total dispassion? How to achieve it?
      A. Today we have not even climbed the first step and want to climb four. It is like the person who just talks and does not implement anything. A simple way is by chanting God's name. Chant His name throughout. Have no concern with anything else. There was a gentleman in Calcutta who used to chant 300,000 names a day and also used to do his daily work. If there is a will there is a way. It is not impossible. Set your goal - it will happen.

      Ram Ram

      For full pravachans in Hindi please visit www.swamiramsukhdasji.org

      P.S: Please pass on this message to whomever you think would benefit from the same.
      Email your comments/questions to sadasya@...