GOD EXISTS

  • a_i_s_h2000
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 10, 2004
      ||SHRI HARI||
      HOW TO CONVINCE OTHERS THAT GOD EXISTS?
    • Kaura, Madan (M.L.)
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 11, 2004
        ||SHRI HARI||

        Even the fact that God exists, we can come to know only because of the awarenes He provides. The awareness that all consciousness comes from Him. What makes this whole place tick in the world and us too! without this Chetna aspect only the ignorance is left behind. Just because we do not see Him, does not mean that God does not exist bacause He is much bigger than the finite senses and intellect can perceive.

        Is there butter in the milk? Can we say with certainty, just bacause we do not see the butter in the milk, the butter does not exist! Only after making the curd and churning the butter comes out. So the process of making curd (Contemplation) and churning (taking the worldiness out of us), we can see God!

        || Ram Ram ||

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 11, 2004
          Whatever you see in this world has to have a creator, because nothing gets created without a creator. Similarly, the oceans, land, moon, sun, stars, etc. that we see in this world has to have a creator. These things cannot be created by us humans. Only 'God' (a supernatural force) can create them. Also, there are laws which nature follows. The person who ensures that the laws of nature (rising and setting of the sun, tides of the ocean, etc.) are followed is God.

          We cannot say that nature has created the above and nature takes care of the above because we have to agree that nature does not have an intellect of its own. If you say that nature has an intellect, that intellect is what we call God. That strength is what we call God. So there is only a difference of words between what we say - we mean the same thing. Nature is insentient (Jad) and being insentient, it cannot create lives, it cannot give results (reward or punish) of actions, because these actions need intellect and cannot be done without creatures (including humans). There is certainly change in nature but there is no use of intellect. The change just happens. That is why we have to accept that there is God.

          One side says that God exists and the other says that God does not exist. If God does not exist - both sides will be equal because there will be no loss to the persons who believe in God. But however, if God exists, people who believe in God will attain Him and those who do not believe in God will be at a loss. That is why we all should believe that God exists.

          Only if something exists do we say that it does not exist. We do not use the negative tense for something that does not exist. For example - we will not say that the egg of a mare does not exist. Similarly, if God did not exist, then we would not say that he does not exist. It would be an accepted fact. We can only say this when in fact He exists. You will use the negative only if there is a positive - else not. Thus saying that God does not exist, proves that He exists, otherwise the statement does not make sense.

          A person who believes that the English language exists, he shall make an attempt to learn the same. A person who does not believe in the existence of the language, he shall not even try to learn the same. A person who knows English can read a letter written in English and give the information written in the letter to the person who does not believe in English. When the person who gets the information finds it to be true, then he understands that yes, English does exist, that is why the person could read the letter.

          Humans experience some incompleteness in them. Therefore, there is certainly something which exists which will complete this incompleteness. For example, if we feel hungry, that means food exists, we feel thirsty, that means drink exists. Therefore, if we experience some incompleteness, there is certainly something that exists which will complete this incompleteness and that is God.

          You can want only a thing which exists. You cannot want a thing that does not exist. Like nobody would want to pick fruits from the sky or smell flowers in the sky - because they do not exist. Each person wants to live (not to die), to know everything and to be happy. The want of living is truth (Sat), to know everything is Consciousness (Chit) and to be always happy is bliss (anand). This means that there is some element of truth, consciousness and bliss that a man wants to attain. This element is what is called God (Satchitanand).

          To summarise, God is not a topic which you can know. He is a topic that you have to believe. You want to know only a topic which you know part of and do not know a part of. We do not and cannot know anything about God. He is beyond reasoning. It is our belief and choice whether we want to believe in Him or not. We can accept his existence by reading the holy scriptures and accepting as true the words of saints who have experienced the existence of God. Some people will believe that saints are also normal people where as others believe that they are special.

          When a human cannot 'know' his worldly creator (parents), how does he expect to know God, who is the creator of the world? God can be known only by believing in Him, believing that he exists.

          Based on Gita Darpan (Gita A Mirror), by Swami Ramsukhdasji
          Published by Gita Press, Gorakhpur