Re: [sacredlandscapelist] SacredLandscaping as a Profession

  • Jolly Roberts
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 8, 2000
      Hi Dan,

      I'm a landscape architect and I signed on to this list to see how I might
      use sacred geometry or feng shui in my designs. Do you know of any good
      "landscape" books on either subject. If so, please pass on the info. If
      not, please start writing (include lots of photos too). I have read most of
      the popular books on feng shui and used some aspects in my designs but I
      have yet to find a really good book for landscape design. Most have a "one
      solution" rubber stamp approach. I never ran across any about sacred
      geometry for garden design. When I was in school (late 70's) it was the
      "form follows function," "ecological" era, which does have it's good
      points, but where's the art & magic? On my own I have been making up the
      deficit.

      I'm going to be spending the next 7 months in the Netherlands with frequent
      excursions out to other locales. Trips to Italy, Portugal and France are
      already in the works. I've been making a list (from what I've been reading
      here) of places to visit, but would appreciate suggestions for any exterior
      "landscapes" you or anyone else might know of that are based on sacred
      geometry.

      I found an interesting web site about architectural and landscape
      architectural designs for "harmonious and healthy living" -- Maharishi
      Sthapatya Veda Design. There is a community built entirely according to
      this scheme in the Netherlands which I hope to visit and photograph. The
      design layout shown on the site seems to me related in some ways to feng
      shui. Check it out. And write those books!

      http://www.mgc-vastu.com/index.html

    • Virginia Burt
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 11, 2000
        Dear Jolly
        I too am a landscape architect and have been doing research and finding
        information on landscapes and energy for the past four years. With respect
        to books that cover feng shui in the garden - all of have bits and pieces
        towards finding what you are looking for -
        The Feng Shui Garden, Jill Hale
        Feng Shui in the Garden, Nancilee Wydra
        Feng Shui Handbook, Master Lam Kam Chuen
        As for Sacred Geometry, the one I use is Gyorgy Dorczi, The Power of Limits.
        There are many books on this subject. I wish you all the best on your
        search. Virginia