Cabbala Speculativa Cabbala Practica

  • Rolandmont@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5 8:32 AM
      Hi list,

      One last thing JS Bach codified and proved the equal spaced temperament of
      our 12 tone system of western music. A huge scholarly undertaking and one
      that eluded musicians for 100s of years. I won't go into the mathematics but
      he also reconciled the imperfection of the physical science of Pythagorean
      tuning.

      More on Bach's numerological symbols:
      <<The Lutherans were very clear on this point. Johann Muller's Judaismus, a
      copy of which Bach owned, identifies two types of numerological symbols of
      which only the first was permissible. Cabbala Speculativa involved the use of
      numbers to allude to Scripture in an ingenious manner, while Cabbala Practica
      used numbers to interpret Scripture. Bach could not possibly have had in mind
      a defense of Lutheran belief and practice (he would have been preaching to
      the converted), but, rather, an expression of it by means of mathematical,
      and musical, processes. >>

      I found this really interesting has any one read or know of Translations of
      "Johann Muller's Judaismus" ?
      This is the first time I hear of two types of Cabala
      Cabbala Speculativa
      Cabbala Practica

      Very Interesting analysis of Ancient Greek By Luther. George Hersey has done
      similar things with his analysis of classical architecture by paying close
      attention to the meaning of ancient Greek words. Also Hersey speaks about
      troping in classical architecture. Troping also played a role in Bachs music
      and the Lutheran Church where the tropes dealt mostly with the entertainment
      of opposites, and the teachings of Biblical paradoxes:

      After this it came about that, by the grace of the learned men
      who dutifully teach us Greek and Hebrew, I learned that this
      word is in Greek metanoia and is derived from meta and noun,
      i.e., post and mentem, so that poenitentia or metanoia is a
      "coming to one's senses," and is a knowledge of one's own
      evil, gained after punishment has been accepted and error
      acknowledged; and this cannot possibly happen without a change
      in our heart and our love. All this answers so aptly to the
      theology of Paul, that nothing, at least in my judgment, can
      so aptly illustrate St. Paul.
      Then I went on and saw that metanoia can be derived, though
      not without violence, not only from post and mentem, but also
      from trans and mentem, so that metanoia signifies a changing
      of the mind and heart, because it seemed to indicate not only
      a change of the heart, but also a manner of changing it, i.e.,
      the grace of God. For that "passing over of the mind," which
      is true repentance, is of very frequent mention in the
      Scriptures. Christ has displayed the true significance of that
      old word "Passover"; and long before the Passover, Abraham was
      a type of it, when he was called a "pilgrim,"] i.e., a
      "Hebrew," that is to say, one who "passed over" into
      Mesopotamia, as the Doctor of Bourgos learnedly explains. With
      this accords, too, the title of the Psalm in which Jeduthun,
      i.e., "the pilgrim," is introduced as the singer.
      Depending on these things, I ventured to think those men false
      teachers who ascribed so much to works of penitence that they
      left us scarcely anything of penitence itself except trivial
      satisfactions and laborious confession, because, forsooth,
      they had derived their idea from the Latin words poenitentiam
      agere, which indicate an action, rather than a change of
      heart, and are in no way an equivalent for the Greek metanoia.