[sacredlandscapelist] Nexus Network Journal, April Issue

  • Mike Bispham
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2000
      A great new issue of the Nexus Network Journal is now online. The April
      2000 issue contains five Featured Articles, three book reviews, a
      conference report by Orietta Pedemonte, and an innovative geometry project
      for high school students by Michael Serra, along with the regular Bulletin
      Board and Submission Guidelines pages. The Virtual Library has been
      completely renewed for the April 2000 issue.

      The NNJ homepage is located on the Internet at the URL:

      http://www.leonet.it/culture/nexus/network_journal

      The Featured Articles this issue are:

      "Under Siege: The Golden Mean in Architecture" by Michael Ostwald;

      "Pavements as Embodiments of Meaning for a Fractal Mind" by Terry M.
      Mikiten, Nikos A. Salingaros and Hing-Sing Yu;

      "How to Construct a Logarithmic Rosette (Without Even Knowing It)" by Paul
      Calter;

      "Pythagorean Triangles and Musical Proportions" by Martin Euser;

      "Pisa baptistry is giant musical instrument, computers show" by Rory
      Carroll.

      Book reviewed in this issue are:

      "Architectonics of Humanism" by Lionel March, reviewed by Mark Peterson;

      "On Alberti and the Art of Building" by Robert Tavernor, reviewed by Kim
      Williams;

      "Canon of the Five Orders of Architecture" by Giacomo Barozzi da Vignola,
      Branko Mitrovic, trans., reviewed by Stephen R. Wassell.
    • Barry Carroll
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 5, 2000
        Mike--
        what a treat this link was! great to learn about Nexus.
        This seems like the serious forum you have been searching for.
        I hope you will submit your Ad Quad paper for some future edition.

        i enjoyed reading, Under Siege: The Golden Mean in Architecture.
        I laughed right out loud when the two dissenters said that sloppy,
        unreliable measurements of buildings have been
        carried out for years by the "Phi-thful" in such a way as to support
        their theories--
        even by serious folks with big reputations like Rudolf Witkower , editor of
        Architectural Principles in the Age of Humanism and head of the Warburg
        Institute.

        I do agree that any text evidence supporting the interest of an architect
        in the subject of the Golden Mean or similar geometric scheme makes for a
        better case
        than suggesting that the building alone proves the interest was there.
        especially when the measurements are not really exact
        unless consistant repetition
        from building to building proves it out.

        I know from personal experience that almost no house is straight and few
        corners are square.
        my position is that, for religious structures at least, when the dedication
        of a building and its geometry are in sync, an intention likely exists--
        even in the absence of text support
        maybe that makes me a "Phi-natic"!

        anyhow, i look forward to reading all the on-line issues!