[sacredlandscapelist] Wedding and Ring Sun Dial

  • catherine yronwode
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2000
      Hi, folks --

      Two things:

      1) The ceremonial text of my recent wedding to nagasiva -- along with
      some spiffy little pictures of us, my daughter Althaea, his dog Eris, my
      step-sister Holly, his brother Ken, his ex-wife June (currently his
      adoptive sister), her wife Valerie, our assortment of in-laws (Ariel,
      Carla, Tate, Ken, etc.) -- can be viewed at
      http://www.luckymojo.com/wedding.html

      2) The following article is forwarded from alt.lucky.w because it
      concerns ring sun-dials:

      ------

      Life before Bulova?

      You don't know what to get him or her for his or her birthday. Or
      perhaps you want to get your significant other a little trinket
      to show you understand the trials and tribulations he/she had
      undergone over the years on your behalf. Or perhaps you want
      to give your mate a little doo-dad for that incredible little
      stint last night which defied all laws of acrobatic physics.
      Whatever the reason...you decide...after much pondering...to
      get the very special person a watch. It makes for a rather nice
      piece of jewelry...and you can get one in gold or in platinum.
      With diamonds and without. In silver or in base metal. In short...
      there's one for every pocketbook. And that's how it is...and
      that's how it always was...right? Well....

      Today...as we rush for our transports...we check our watches. Seventeen
      and a half minutes till the train comes in. It's the commuter
      ballet. Run to the deli...coffee...light...sweet and low. Gotta
      watch the tummy...heh heh. Check again. Twelve more minutes left.
      Time enough for a buttered roll? Sure. As long as that timepiece
      is correct...and it better well be. You adjusted it last night.
      According to your computer calculations...your recently calibrated
      time-telling machine drifts thirty four and a half seconds every
      six hundred years. Not as accurate as you'd like it to be...but
      in these trying time...we do what little we can with what we
      have. You swallow that last piece of roll and swish it all down
      with one last gulp of coffee. The train's pulling it. You jump
      on. The day begins.

      But when watches and clocks were first invented...around the
      fourteenth century...they were a tad less than accurate. Depending
      on the time-piece you owned...the length of an hour could
      vary considerably. So how did one calibrate...or at least check
      on one's timepiece in order to ensure that it was indeed the hour
      of the day it said it was. Why...one used a sundial...of course.
      Now...there might be some of you who might say...yeah yeah
      Benjamin...that's all well and good if you're the Incredible
      Hulk and you can carry a sundial mounted on a marble stand around
      with you all day. But what about the average mortal...what about
      him? Well...I have the answer for that my friends. And here it
      is.

      Provided the sun was shining...an intrinsic necessity for the
      operation of your everyday sundial...provided the sun was
      shining...you could check your watch with your pocket sundial.
      Yessiree folks. Step right up while the supply lasts. Get your
      pocket sundial. Huzzah huzzah huzzah. Guaranteed to last while
      the sun doth shine.

      During the seventeenth and eighteenth century...pocket sundials
      were sold as a more accurate way of telling time than the new
      and cheaper line of watches. Of the pocket sundial...there were
      two that were quite popular. One was called the Diptych. An
      Englishman by the name of Michael Butterfield created one in
      silver...circa 1700. It was housed in a case with silk-velvet
      lining and was whipped out periodically and held up toward the
      sun in order to check to see if they were late for the public
      hangings today. Never could count on government to be on time.

      And then there was something called a Ring Dial. It folded
      up and fit into one's pocket. When in use...it was opened...and
      held up to the sun...which shone through a pinhole in the center
      strut on the hour ring. They were made of brass or silver and
      were surprisingly accurate. Also...if you're a gizmo freak like
      me...you will note that they were a beautiful sight indeed to
      behold.

      Should any of you want to behold a Ring Dial sundial of the
      late 17th century...you have but to go to my home page...you
      have but to scroll down the table menu till you get to Tidbit
      Graphics...and then you have but to click on the link that says
      "Sundial". And there ain't no more buts about it.

      (The picture is at http://www.tyler-adam.com/tbimages.html -- cat)

      And there ya have it.
      That's it for this week folks.
      Catch you all next week.
      Benjamin Mark

      All issues of Tidbits are copyrighted and available from our home page.
      All rights reserved.

      cat yronwode