textbook on archaeoastronomy

  • C G
    Message 1 of 4 , May 12 11:13 PM
      Greetings sacredlandscapers,

      This 2010 textbook does not appear to be listed in our archives: "The Power of Stars: How Celestial Observations Have Shaped Civilization" by Bryan Penprase.

      http://www.amazon.com/The-Power-Stars-Observations-Civilization/dp/1441968024/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368423475&sr=8-1&keywords=power+of+stars+how+celestial

      The author has put together a textbook for university courses on archaeoastronomy, so this may be something close to your hearts, Dan, Barry, et al. It is far from perfect, obviously, but it is a useful starting point. As an example, I found the chapter on Celestial Architecture to be too brief, particularly because we have delved into many of those subtopics in more depth on this list. However, the chapter on the Archaeoastronomy of Modern Civilization was more novel.

      Check it out.

      Hoping you are all experiencing a pleasant transition between seasons. I, for one, am supremely looking forward to summer!

      * * *

      Such a shame to see this landscape list go fallow. Is anyone working on anything at the moment, or has anyone had any recent experiences to share, that might re-fertilize discussion? I recently vacationed in Thailand and was dumbstruck by the spirituality of the population. Very moving and humbling.

      As for me, I got a good start on my final chapter to my book on cubes (the chapter speaks to Hindu and Buddhist traditions) but my life got flipped upside down pretty much as I mentally settled into the chapter. So that's on hold until life gets calmer for me. Likewise, I am still working on my prime number project but haven't made much headway over the past year due to personal experiences.

      How about you? What's the story, morning glory?

      Kind regards,

      Chris
      Message 2 of 4 , May 13 7:03 AM
        Hi, Chris

        Good to hear from you.

        I have finally retired so will have more time to correspond.

        I am currently working on a paper called 'Shi'ur Qomah in the Light of
        Neuropsychological Research'. Shi'ur Qomah is a brief Jewish Mystical text
        dating somewhere from the first century through the 8th. It describes the
        Body of God in detail giving measurements in millions of parasangs (Persian
        miles). Along with the measurements it gives secret divine names for each
        of the limbs. These names are unintelligible, prompting several scholars to
        speculate that they derive from glossolalia.

        I have been trying to get myself up to speed on glossolalia research,
        particularly the research on altered states of consciousness in relation to
        speaking in tongues, since I believe that the Shi'ur Qomah was really a
        method of meditation designed to elicit an altered state.

        I'm having a ball with it and think my paper will be a classic in
        understanding the development of Jewish Mysticism.

        I'm glad you are still working on your valuable cube research. I would
        love to take a look when you are ready.

        Wasn't aware of your prime number project. What are you up to? I have a
        book around somewhere that claims to reveal a message from the eternal in
        the prime number system. It might be helpful.

        Kind Regards,

        Message 3 of 4 , May 14 7:35 AM
          Hi Dan, many belated congratulations on your retirement! When did that happen?

          Your paper sounds fascinating and I applaud your efforts to educate the rest of us about these obscure yet relevant pieces of the mystic puzzle. Can youshare the measurements with us (whether in millions of parasangs or whole units)? I am curious what the correspondences are.

          As for my prime project, I am just utterly fascinated by the way these numbers do not play nice with the human mind. You might be interested to know that I meditate on the gaps between primes. This is one of the few things that holds my focus these days: they defy order but still inspire a sense of underlying pattern -- maybe even a meta-order...they give hint to the order that higher, more conscious, levels of order are founded upon. I guess I overlay our interest in atomism on this list on to these atoms of the natural numbers. In this way, I meditate on the apparent order of prime numbers much as I previously meditated on the order of the cube (though I certainly haven't found any unbroken pattern to the primes!). So my interest in primes is partially an extension of my interest in the cube. The solitude of primes is quite breathtaking. At any rate, I would be grateful to learn the title of the book you mentioned.

          Cheers, Dan. Nice to hear from you again.

          I think there is a bit of magic left in this list yet...so thank you for that!

          Chris

          Message 4 of 4 , May 14 3:31 PM
            I just retired Mar 16th

            The book is called
            God's Secret Formula: Deciphering the Riddle of the Universe and the Prime
            Number Code by Peter Plichta (May 1997)

            He is very enamored of his own brilliance and spends half the book telling
            you about it. On the other hand if you weren't impressed with him, you
            would probably ignore his prime number theory, so the ego involvement is
            functional.

            The numbers don't make a well-proportioned body and are not related to
            anything as far as I can tell maybe derived from gematria or some other
            number mystery source. They function to instill awe, a sense of Mysterium
            Tremendum. A parasang is about 3-4 miles.

            Table of parts

            Length of sole of the right foot 30 million parasangs Parsamiah
            Atrakat Shamah
            Length of sole of the left foot 30 million parasangs Agomatz
            Length of the right sole to the ankle 150 million parasangs Tzagmiah
            Length of the left sole to the ankle 150 million parasangs Astamatz
            Length from the right ankle to the knee 190,005,200 parasangs Kangago
            Mahadiyah Tasaskam
            Length from the left ankle to the knee 190,005,200 parasangs
            Mangahovaziyah...zaziyah
            Length from right knee to the top of the thigh 120,001,200 parasangs The
            right knee is called Satmagatz Yehamiyi
            The right thigh is called Shashtastafarnisiyi
            Length from left knee to the top of the thigh 120,001,200 parasangs
            The left knee is called Maghanuriyah
            The left thigh is called Tafganichaziza
            Length from the thighs to the neck 240 million parasangs
            'Astanah...dadiyah
            Heart Seventy Names
            The length of God's neck 130,000,800 parasangs Sangihu Yavah Tikatz
            The circumference of God's head (of which the tongue cannot speak nor the
            ear hear) 3,000,000,033 and a third parasangs 'Atar Hodariya'
            'Atasya
            Length of God's beard 11,500 parasangs Hadrak Samiya'
            Length of God's nose not given Lagbagtziya' also called Gagtafiya'
            Length of God's tongue stretches from one end of the world to the other
            'Asasgichu'ya'
            The width of God's forehead 130,000,800 parasangs Masasgihu Na'yaya'
            On the forehead there are written seventy-two letters
            The black of God's right eye 11,500 parasangs 'Urik 'At Tisum. The
            name of its prince is Rechavi'el
            The black of God's left eye 11,500 parasangs 'Asasagychu'ya'
            The white of God's right eye 20,000 parasangs not given
            The white of God's left eye 20,000 parasangs not given
            Right teeth Padranpasiya
            Left teeth ...uktzatia'
            From God's right shoulder to the left 160,000,000 parasangs
            right shoulder Matatgi'a' 'Angatz. Left shoulder Tatmahnagia'. Also called
            Shalmahingya'
            From God's right arm to the left. (The arms are folded) 120,000,000
            parasangs
            The right arm is called Gavarhazazya'tachsi and the left Metataghagtziku.
            The fingers of God's right hand 100,000,000 parasangs each From thumb:
            Tatmah, Tatzmatz, Gagmavah, Gagshamash, Gagshas
            The fingers of God's left hand 100,000,000 parasangs each From thumb:
            Tatzmatz, Tatmah, 'Agagmatz, 'Ugmatz, Veshoshnas
            The palm of God's right hand 40,000,000 parasangs ...zaziya' 'Atgariyi
            The palm of God's left hand 40,000,000 parasangs Shakizaziya'
            The toes on the right foot 2,000,000 parasangs each 'Adomatz,
            'Asumat, Darmanat, Kavta...,...ramon
            The toes on the left foot 2,000,000 parasangs each Yeshnayan,
            Baznayan, Hatzmat, 'Ahuz, Vtahamum
            The crown worn on God's head 500,000 by 500,000 parasangs Israel
            The total measure 100,000,000,000 parasangs high
            10,000,000,000 parasangs wide