A little dolmen on the French-Belgian border

  • Marc
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 15, 2009
      This little dolmen has a strange property: its radioactivity (9) is lower than the background radiation of its environment (17). The figures are the ones given on the Geiger counter. The legend says the capstone is a meteorite.

      http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/6637/dolmengomry.jpg

      It's not the first time I observe something like this, and it remains a mystery.
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 15, 2009
        Hi, Marc

        I'm not surprised that a meteorite was used as a dolmen. The capsones
        on pyramids were meteorites. Iron from the sky captured the
        imagination. Can't tell you why the radiation hasn't evened out.
        chemical content, age of formation?

        Dan

        Marc wrote:

        >This little dolmen has a strange property: its radioactivity (9) is lower than the background radiation of its environment (17). The figures are the ones given on the Geiger counter. The legend says the capstone is a meteorite.
        >
        >http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/6637/dolmengomry.jpg
        >
        >It's not the first time I observe something like this, and it remains a mystery.

      • Marc Steurbaut
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 16, 2009
          Hi Dan,
          An explanation could be:
          Meteorites aren't radioactive, it could be that the stone sowly loaded up some from the environment during the ages.