Re: [sl] Japanese garden experience

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 27, 2009
      Hi Dan, thanks for the well wishes -- and the funny story. lol. I had no idea what I was
      getting myself into. I shall repent for my bon-sigh ways. haha.

      Mentally, I am preparing myself for the great landscape. Trees must come down (poplars
      bent by a freakish October snow before the trunks had time to harden). Shed must fly like
      Mary Poppins. I'll have to build a wooden veranda to sit on and meditate. Buy gravel. Rake
      gravel. Possibly add water -- I'm still thinking about that. And at some point I have to
      shape small pines. I'm not sure if the Japanese pine is a distinct breed or not. Come to
      think of it, there will have to be some deciduous trees to add color in the fall. The final
      touch will only come after my son grows up: I'd like put a huge circular window in what is
      now his room in order to view the garden from inside the house. I really like the idea of a
      great big round window. My own, ahem, space portal. Sacred space portal.

      I am also digging into the roots of prime numbers. Riemann. Gauss. The order that is not
      order. The pattern that defies patterns.

      "God does not play dice -- but there is something about prime numbers."

      The interesting feature is that prime numbers do not increase arithmetically or even
      geometrically. So we are out of the realm of the perfect shapes. Gauss was able to create a
      perfect 17-sided shape thanks to prime numbers (17 is of course prime). But we cannot
      generate the sequence of prime numbers from these shapes. Although superimposing a
      pentagon on to a clock face does describe the first five odd primes. If you continue in this
      manner all the prime numbers arrange themselves in the same place around the clock.

      Good visualization of the Riemann hypothesis: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?
      v=zfoVTY9OnA4&feature=related

      As I say, the progression doesn't grow sequentially as we would expect it to if it could be
      generated by, say, inscribing a sacred form. But that does not mean that the ratios of
      some sacred structures might not take the form of prime numbers. I'm looking into that
      now. And at the back of my head is the idea that this series behaves more like an irregular
      heart beat -- but definitely something living.

      It is not rational; it is not irrational; but maybe transrational. At any rate, I'm now following
      the trail of bread crumb primes to see where it leads.

      Wish me luck,

      Chris