Cannabis and Alchemy

  • solomonstinktoe
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8, 2008
      One last hint....

      These blear'd eyes
      Have wak'd to read your several colours, sir,
      Of the pale citron, the green lion, the crow,
      The peacock's tail, the plumed swan.

      Thou hast descry'd the flower, the sanguis agni?

      Ben Jonson
      The Alchemist

      Three things suffice for the work: a white smoke, which is water; a
      green Lion, which is the ore of Hermes, and a fetid water… the stone,
      known from the chapters of books, is white smoke and water.

      Michael Maier
      Atalanta Fugiens

      Of this self-same body, which is the matter of the Stone, three things
      are chiefly said; that it is a green Lion, a stinking Gum, and a white
      Having twelve pounds of Green Lion thus brought into gum, thou
      mayst believe…

      St. Dunstan (pseudo)
      Philosophia Maturata

      A green Gum called our green Lyon, which Gum dry well, yet beware thou
      not burn his Flowers nor destroy his greenness.

      Sir George Ripley
      The Bosome-Book of Sir George Ripley

      You will see marvelous signs of this Green Lion, such as could be
      bought by no treasures of the Roman Leo.

      The Treasure of Treasures

      Beware therefore of many, and hold thee to one thing. This one thing
      is naught else but the lyon greene..

      Bloomfield's Blossoms

      I know well this Lyon Greene…

      Hunting of the Greene Lyon

      Upon the delicate leaves thereof it retaineth for our use that sweet
      heavenly honey which is called the manna, and, although it be of a
      gummy, oily, fat, and greasy substance, it is, notwithstanding,
      unconsumable by any fire.

      Gargantua and Pantagruel

      This is called the blessed stone; this earth is white and foliated,
      wherein the Philosophers do sow their gold…
      The fourth color is Ruddy and Sanguine, which is extracted from the
      white fire only.

      Jean d'Espagnet
      The Hermetic Arcanum

      O how many are the seekers after this gum, and how few there are who
      find it! Know ye that our gum is stronger than gold, and all those who
      know it do hold it more honorable than gold… Our gum, therefore, is
      for Philosophers more precious and more sublime than pearls…

      Turba Philosophorum

      Therefore I affirm that the Universal Medicine for bodies is the
      philosophic gold, after it has been separated and drawn to the highest
      state of perfection. Our common gold has absolutely nothing in common
      with the philosophic gold we use to begin our task. In that respect
      common gold is dead and clearly useless.

      Philip a Gabella
      Consideratio Brevis

      By gold I mean our green gold- not the adored lump, which is dead and

      Thomas Vaughan
      Aula Lucis

      Take the fire, or quicklime, of which the philosophers speak, which
      grows on trees, for in that God himself burns with divine love.

      Gloria Mundi

      It appears then that this Stone is a Vegetable, as it were, the sweet
      Spirit that proceeds from the Bud of the Vine…

      Count Bernard Trevisan
      Verbum Dismissum

      Trust my word, seek the grass that is trefiol. Thou knowest the name,
      and art wise and cunning if thou findest it.

      The Sophic Hydrolith

      You ought to know concerning the Quintessence, that it is a matter
      little and small, lodged and harbored in some Tree, Herb, Stone, or
      the like…

      The Tomb of Semiramis

      It contains the fire of Nature, or the Universal Spirit; with Air as
      its vehicle it contains Water, which must be separated in the
      beginning of the work, and also earth which remains behind in the form
      of caput mortuum, where the fire has left it, and is the true Red
      Earth wherein the fire dwelt for a while. The subject, duly collected,
      should not be less than eight nor more than sixteen ounces: place it
      in a china or glazed basin and cover it loosely to keep the dust out.

      Sigismond Bacstrom
      Rosicrucian Aphorisms and Process

      Long have I had in my nostrils the scent of the herb moly which became
      so celebrated thanks to the poets of old… this herb is entirely
      chemical. It is said that Odysseus used it to protect himself against
      the poisons of Circe and the perilous singing of the Sirens. It is
      also related that Mercury himself found it and that it is an effective
      antidote to all poisons. It grows plentifully on Mount Cyllene in Arcadia…

      Michael Maier
      Septimana Philosophica

      Our secret fire, that is, our fiery and sulfurous water, which is
      called Balneum Mariae… this water is a white vapor.

      The Secret Book of Artephius

      Know the secret fire of the wise, which is the one and sole agent
      efficient for the opening, subliming, purifying, and disposing of the

      Letter to the True Disciples of Hermes

      Study, then, this fire, for had I myself found it at the first, I
      should not have erred two hundred times upon the veritable material.

      John Pontanus
      The Secret Fire

      No philosopher has ever openly Revealed this secret fire, and this
      powerful Agent, which works all the Wonders of the Art.

      The Hermetic Triumph

      Mercury, i.e. the white flower, can be used and applied to the
      tinctures of all planets.

      The Little Peasant

      Our true and real Matter is only a vapor…
      This Green Dragon is the natural Gold of the Philosophers,
      exceedingly different from the vulgar, which is corporeal and dead…
      but ours is spiritual, and living…
      Our Gold is called Natural, because it is not to be made by Art,
      and since it is known to none, but the true Disciples of Hermes, who
      understand how to separate it from its original Lump, `tis also called
      Philosophical; and if God had not been so gracious, as to create this
      first Chaos to our hand, all our Skill and Art in the Construction of
      the great Elixir would be in vain.

      Baron Urbigerus
      Aphorismi Urbigerani

      "This stone is of delicate touch, and there is more mildness in its
      touch than in its substance…. Of sweet taste, and its proper nature is
      Khalid said: "Tell me of its odor, before and after its confection."
      Morienus answered: "Before confectioning, its odor is very heavy
      and foul.
      "I know of no other stone like it nor having its powers. While the
      four elements are contained in this stone, it being thus like the
      world in composition, yet no other stone like it in power or nature is
      to be found in the world, nor has any of the authorities ever
      performed the operation other than by means of it. And the
      compositions attempted by those using anything else in this
      composition will fail utterly and come to nothing.
      "The thing in which the entire accomplishment of this operation
      consists of the red vapor, the yellow vapor, the white vapor, the
      green lion, ocher, the impurities of the dead and of the stones,
      blood, eudica, and foul earth.
      "Begin in the Creator's name, and with his vapor take the whiteness
      from the white vapor.
      "The whole key to accomplishment of this operation is in the fire,
      with which the minerals are prepared and the bad spirits held back,
      and with which the spirit and body are joined.
      "In answer to you question about the white vapor, or virgin's milk,
      you may know that it is a tincture and spirit of those bodies already
      dissolved and dead, from which the spirits have been withdrawn. It is
      the white vapor that flows in the body and removes its darkness, or
      earthiness, and impurity, uniting the bodies into one and augmenting
      their waters.
      "Without the white vapor, there could have been no pure gold nor
      any profit in it."

      The Book of Morienus

      Let it be sublimed in an high body and head…

      Search of Perfection

      Our Subject cannot be called the fiery Serpent of the Philosophers,
      nor have the power of overcoming any created thing, before it has
      received such Virtue and Quality from our Green-Dragon…

      Baron Urbigerus