Fwd: eSkeptic: Does Science Make Belief in God Obsolete?

  • mikebispham@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 11, 2008
      Its very quiet here these days.

      I thought I'd try a cat-pigeons exercise by forwarding this excellent missive

      Mike

      Here today, Gone tomorrow
    • Khem Caigan
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 12, 2008
        I see that our Troll is back and up
        to his usual shenanigans, setting his
        pigeons among the cats <yum>.

        While we are on the subject of Michael
        Shermer :

        Pseudoskepticism
        http://tinyurl.com/yojkth

        On Pseudo-Skepticism
        A Commentary by Marcello Truzzi
        http://tinyurl.com/4uerx9

        Cors in Manu Domine,

        ~ Khem Caigan
        <Khem@...>
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 16, 2008
          Hi, Mike!
          Hi, Khem!

          Good to hear from you both. Both posts were interesting. I think that
          science vs religion is a valid debate but that a lot of
          pseudosckepticism creeps in and of course a lot of religious bias. We
          have been over this territory a lot and I have learned a whole bunch, it
          has altered my world view considerable. Epistemologically I think we
          have to accept the scientific method as our gold standard and judge
          paranormal/religious claims on the basis of the same rules we use for
          the various sciences.
          That said I think there is enough evidence to throw out the materialist
          theory of the world.

          Had an interesting thought the other day. It used to be that they said
          god is dead. Now I say that reality is dead. The mathematics is so
          complex that no one can have a valid picture of reality anymore. Since
          it is beyond our ability to understand it, there is no way to tell if
          supernatural entities exist or not. We don't know what is natural so
          how can we say that we know the boundary between the natural and the
          supernatural? Other worlds, parallel dimensions, the astral plane, all
          might appear in the math sometime in the future. (As I understand it
          string theory is already providing a peek into parallel dimensions
          across the branes that separate us.)

          I have to apologize to the list. I haven't been very available or
          involved for two reasons. 1. is my new six year old daughter adopted
          from Russia (6 mo and she is speaking english and even reading and
          writing some!). 2. is a set of fireworks in my brain about the
          historical Jesus. I have written a 7 page preliminary sketch which I am
          going to post to the list soon.

          Meanwhile, chatter away (though we can do without names like Troll).

          Dan

          Khem Caigan wrote:

          >I see that our Troll is back and up
          >to his usual shenanigans, setting his
          >pigeons among the cats <yum>.
          >
          >While we are on the subject of Michael
          >Shermer :
          >
          >Pseudoskepticism
          >http://tinyurl.com/yojkth
          >
          >On Pseudo-Skepticism
          >A Commentary by Marcello Truzzi
          >http://tinyurl.com/4uerx9
          >
          >Cors in Manu Domine,
          >

          >~ Khem Caigan
          ><Khem@...>

        • Dominick Carlucci
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 16, 2008
            With respect to the question of "reality", a very wise sage one spoke
            the following:

            "Reality - wow, what a concept....." (Robin Williams)

            Dominick

            PS - "One man's religion is another man's belly laugh." - Lazarus Long

            --- In sacredlandscapelist@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel N. Washburn"