Unusual memories after heart transplant

  • danw888
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 10, 2008
      Don't know whether you are aware of it but heart transplant patients
      often have new memories they attribute to their heart donor.

      I thought of an explanation for this. Tell me what you think.

      Long ago Lashely demonstrated that memories are spread throughout the
      brain. He taught rats a routine to get food and then systematically
      burned out different parts of their brains to see where the memory
      was stored. He never found such a site. If the rat was still
      functional it would limp through the routine, no matter what part of
      its brain was missing.

      Lashely's student Karl Pribram put forward the holographic theory of
      memory - memories are stored everywhere in the brain. Like a
      holograph the whole image is in every separate section.

      The heart is a major nerve complex. If I remember correctly
      something like one fifth of the nerve cells of the body are in the
      heart.

      Perhaps memories are stored not only everywhere in the brain but
      everywhere in the entire nervous system. If so, they would also be
      in the heart.

      So make sure that your donor has had a wonderful life and is a
      terrific human being. Otherwise you could find yourself possessed by
      an evil entity.

      Dan
    • TradTimber@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 10, 2008

        One of my teachers told us the following story:

             After her recovery, a woman who had a heart transplant suddenly developed a strong interest in motorcycles and chicken Mcnuggets. After checking into the story of the donor, it had been a young man on a motorcycle who had just bought chicken Mcnuggets at a McD, put them in his pocket over his heart and was hit as he pulled out into traffic.

             The point the teacher was trying to tell us was that we are unaware of the connections we all have on many levels and that putting a part of another's body into our own changes us and perhaps changes our paths. This was also at a time when some were advocating using pig hearts for humans.

             In a perhaps related topic, I read recently that the Electromagnetic Field of the heart is 60 times larger than the Electromagnetic Field of the brain.

        may the balance be restored,
        john

        **************
        Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape.
      • Dominick Carlucci
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 10, 2008
          Dan,

          From my background, a more likely explanation is that "memory" is NOT
          stored in the "brain" but in the "mind." Metaphysical, perhaps, but
          we are not just flesh and blood beings - call it "soul" or "spirit",
          but we are much more than purely mechanical processes. This
          explanation also impacts the question: what is "self-awareness"...?

          As for where "mind" resides, it is perhaps safe to say "everywhere" -
          being non-physical in nature, it cannot be tied down to a physical
          location, but seems to interact with physical reality.
          Apparently, "mind" looks for whatever "conduit" it can find to
          interact with physical reality.

          And in a related question - since this IS a "SACRED" forum - it
          certainly makes one's "mind" boggle to speculate what happened
          roughly 2000 years ago when Christ received a spear thrust in his
          side as he hung on the cross, and his blood flowed freely out of the
          wound. Some early Christian legendary material hints that as his
          blood flowed out, some managed to fall all the way to the ground. If
          the "mind/soul/spirt" that we call Christ was interacting with the
          blood at the time, might THIS be how the Redemption was accomplished -
          the "mind/soul/spirt" of Christ entering the earth/physical plane of
          existence through the medium of his blood falling to the ground?
          Anyone for some theological speculation?

          Bests,
          Dominick

          --- In sacredlandscapelist@yahoogroups.com, "danw888" <danw@...>

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 12, 2008
            Hi, Trad

            I read recently, too, that the heart produces an electro-magnetic field
            around the torso that is much larger than anything coming from the
            brain. I was kinda shocked by the info and wondered whether it had
            anything to do with whether two people attract or repulse eachother.
            Sometimes you just click with someone and sometimes you just don't.
            Maybe there is something here related to whether the electric fields
            blend or conflict?

            Dan