Re: The Twain Prayer

  • jdepompeo
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 31, 2007
      > at a blue state rodeo

      oops! that should be red state rodeo!
    • jdepompeo
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2007

        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqB78xJd3KI

        Here is a new movie by John Pilger, his version of a "War Prayer"

        http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-3739500579629840148&q=The+War+on+Democracy&total=2097&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

        >help us to wring the
        >hearts of their unoffending widows with unavailing grief; help us to
        >turn them out roofless with little children to wander unfriended the
        >wastes of their desolated land in rags and hunger and thirst, >- Mark Twain

        Twain would no doubt have been aghast that in World War II his nation burned alive hundreds of thousands of woman and children in the fire bombings of Dresden and Tokyo and other towns and the nuclear bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

        Another new documentary out this year which had its premiere on the 62nd anniversary of the bombings

        http://www.hbo.com/docs/programs/whitelightblackrain/slideshow.html

        http://www.hbo.com/docs/programs/whitelightblackrain/interview.html

      • Dominick Carlucci
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1, 2007
          Dan,

          Personally, I prefer the famous "Patton Prayer", from the Battle of
          the Bulge:

          "Almighty and most merciful Father, we humbly beseech Thee, of Thy
          great goodness, to restrain these immoderate rains with which we have
          had to contend. Grant us fair weather for Battle. Graciously hearken
          to us as soldiers who call upon Thee that, armed with Thy power, we
          may advance from victory to victory, and crush the oppression and
          wickedness of our enemies and establish Thy justice among men and
          nations."

          The film had it pretty close, but for the true story of how the
          prayer came about, and what went with it, see:

          http://www.pattonhq.com/prayer.html

          Bests,
          Dominick

          --- In sacredlandscapelist@yahoogroups.com, "danw888" <danw@...>