26 - value of the tetragrammaton

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2007
      I was reading an article on the calandar they used at Qumran and had a
      thought re the origin of the number of the tetragrammaton.

      Apparently prior to about 170 bc the priesthood at the jerusalem temple
      had a solar calendar based on 364 days.

      This was divided into 4 seasons of 91 days each.

      Each season had 3 months of 30, 30 , and 31 days each.

      so there were 13 weeks in each season (7 x 13 = 91)

      Half the year then is 26 weeks. Maybe this relates somehow to the 26 of
      the tetra.

      When the Seleucid emperor Antiochus Epiphanes conquered the Jews and
      desecrated the temple, he imposed a lunar calandar and sold the high
      priesthood.

      The Macabees, when they drove out the Seleucids, kept the calandar and
      the high priesthood.

      The Zadokite priesthood, the rightful high priests by lineage, withdrew
      from Jerusalem, some settling at Qumran.

      Anyone know more about the history of Jewish calandar variations?