Re: 07-07-07

    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 1, 2007
      The larger issue surrounding repeating numbers is the subject of "signs". If you are not
      looking, the numbers are not speaking. In the field of plans and layouts, I love the
      symbolism that numbers afford since they are code for certain ideas. But in the world of
      dates and calendars I am much more sceptical.

      Time, numbers and events do tend to collide and become fused into one meaningful
      whole: witness the power of this date, 9/11.

      We owe the chronology of calendars dating back to 1 AD to Bede. Up until his
      Ecclesiastical History of England, time was reckoned according to the years of Roman
      emperors -- just as Japan still reckons time today (it uses both the western and traditional
      emperor dating systetms).

      As for repetition, this is a basic feature of ritual itself (which is where drama comes from,
      btw). Why do we "reenact" events such as New Year's every year? The older civilizations
      would perform their dramatic rituals thereby establishing the connection between the
      event and the date all over again. Re-creating the world in a fusion of literal (advance of
      spring), metaphorical (re-creation of the universe) and symbolic (re-establishing the order
      of the king) sense.

      In business today, I suspect the same trend is occuring: minutes capture what is done
      more than what is said. it is about the action more than the individual. You are the ritual
      you perform.

      It all hearkens back to basic Pythagoreanism and the fasciation with the decad. I doubt the
      following number would interest us:
      351465465141861465168435146546514186146516843514654651418614651684 (int
      his number 3514654651418614651684 is repeating three times). But if we find simple
      numbers repeating -- and we have an interest in looking for signs more generally -- then
      we might try to ascribe meaning to it.

      Question: what time do you notice on digital clocks the most?

      Chris

      --- In sacredlandscapelist@yahoogroups.com, "Dominick Carlucci"
      <scorpio_eagle2002@...> wrote:

      > Dan,
      >
      > I don't think the 'dev' isn't winning anything - a very wise lady once
      > shared this concept with me:
      >
      > "If God is the Creator of all there is, and everything is under
      > His/Her/Its Divine Direction, then it stands to reason that Satan is
      > as well." Is she's right, then only God is real, and all else is
      > illusion. Indeed, as another wise woman likes to remind me:
      >
      > "Only Love exists - all else is illusion. Remember, wherever you are,
      > God is."
      >
      > Thoughts to ponder......
      >
      > Dominick
      >

      > --- In sacredlandscapelist@yahoogroups.com, "danw888" <danw@> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In sacredlandscapelist@yahoogroups.com, "Dominick Carlucci"
      > > <scorpio_eagle2002@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Dan,
      > > >
      > > > You wrote:
      > > >
      > > > "I'm waiting for 08-08-08, 888 being the number of Jesus by
      > > Gematria.
      > > > Is this the date of the SECOND COMING!!!??? Enquiring minds want
      > > to know!"
      > > >
      > > > This may very well be a possibility, but is it not written
      > > somewhere
      > > > that "No man knows the day nor the hour - not even the Son of man
      > > > knows. Only the Father in heaven..."
      > >
      > > Ahh, but that was said then, nobody knows at this point in time, but
      > > does that say that nobody will know? Maybe as the end times
      > > approach there will be a new revelation?
      > >

      > > > *G* Frankly, how many of us expected the "Second Coming" on
      > > > 12/31/1999? And what did we get? The Y2K fiasco! Maybe that was
      > > Divine
      > > > Retribution?
      > > >
      > > Wow, great concept. Y2K was retribution for our believing in the
      > > end of the millenium as the time of the 2nd comming. Love it.
      > >
      > > > And BTW - what happened (if anything) on 06-06-06? Isn't 666 the
      > > > Number of the Beast?
      > > >
      > > Yes, and you know, I can't remember that anything noteworthy
      > > happened. Probably a plot by the Beast to fool us into thinking
      > > that there is nothing going on.
      > >
      > > By the way, I am just kidding about all of this stuff!
      > >
      > > Saw Roman Polanski's occult thriller the Ninth Gate on TV the other
      > > night. Pretty awful movie -- boring. How can you have a movie
      > > where the devil is real but god isn't? I think the dev is winning
      > > the final battle these days.
      > >
      > > Dan
      > >
      > > > Dominick

    • Dominick Carlucci
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 1, 2007
        --- In sacredlandscapelist@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <groups@...> wrote:
        >snip<
        > Question: what time do you notice on digital clocks the most?

        *G* 12:34

        Dominick
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 2, 2007
          Theresa wrote:

          >Good morning!
          >
          >I need some advice, please. We are going on a two week trip,
          >starting Monday, to Phoenix/Scottsdale AZ from SW MO. Dad and Mom
          >are going with me, and Dad's driving. He likes taking back roads
          >:-). I only know two other places where we're stopping - somewhere
          >around Amarillo TX, where he was stationed years ago when in the
          >Army, and possibly the Grand Canyon. I think Amarillo's as far south
          >as we're going, and then west from there - but one never knows with
          >my Father! :-D.

          Sorry, you are probably on your trip already. If not, google these
          items and see if you can persude Dad to stop to take a look:

          Canyon de Chelly National Monument in Arizona. Navajo think this is
          where the Holy Beings taught their people how to live.
          Antelope Canyon, Page, Arizona. Also in Page are Navajo Mountain and
          Lake Powell.

          In Texas try the Enchanted Rock State National Area.

          >Thousands of miles in a car equals good reading and writing time. I
          >can't really afford to get a book,

          Library?

          >and I likely won't have computer
          >and Internet access during the trip. I am trying to find some good
          >basic sites/pages that I can print off now and read later, preferably
          >in b&w. I've been to the lists main page, and printed the
          >explanation page, but I'm not sure where to go from there.
          >
          >The plans are to get up early and stop around 5-6 each night for
          >dinner and a place to sleep. I figured I could check the local phone
          >book to find any places of interest, but I don't know what to look under.
          >
          >I wish I could be more specific, but that's not possible, and I can't
          >promise to actually go anywhere I find. Ideas and suggestions would
          >be appreciated though!
          >
          >Thanks :-).
          >Theresa
          >
          >(headed back to lurking and learning now)

          Have fun, Theresa

          Dan

          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 2, 2007

            Chris wrote:
[...]

            I see repetitions on the digital clock  1:11 2:22 3:33 4:44 5:55 10:10 etc.

            I really like the insight that calendar time is repetiton and ritual.    Every year the same structuring of the year occurs with holidays, festivals, saints days, and holy celebrations.  This week we have the 4th of July where we celebrate the birth of the US with fireworks, reminiscent of the rockets red glare from the National Anthem, the US was born in revolutionary blood.

            This whole structuring of time is fading, I think, though.   Labor day, Memorial Day, Presidents day are becoming just time off from work, not ritual markers for what is important to our values.  Christmas is about commercialization and gifts.   Halloween is becoming more important -- marking an increase in horror fantasy in our lives -- what is all that about.   Valentines day, mothers day, fathers day -- celebrate our close personal relations.   Earth day is going to get bigger but has nearly faded from consciousness in the past few years.

            Dan

            <scorpio_eagle2002@...> wrote:

            Dan,

            I don't think the 'dev' isn't winning anything - a very wise lady once
            shared this concept with me:

            "If God is the Creator of all there is, and everything is under
            His/Her/Its Divine Direction, then it stands to reason that Satan is
            as well."  Is she's right, then only God is real, and all else is
            illusion. Indeed, as another wise woman likes to remind me:

            "Only Love exists - all else is illusion. Remember, wherever you are,
            God is."

            Thoughts to ponder......

            Dominick

            --- In sacredlandscapelist@yahoogroups.com, "danw888" <danw@> wrote:

            --- In sacredlandscapelist@yahoogroups.com, "Dominick Carlucci"
            <scorpio_eagle2002@> wrote:

            Dan,

            You wrote:

[...]

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                mailto:sacredlandscapelist-digest@yahoogroups.com
                mailto:sacredlandscapelist-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 3, 2007
              believe it or not, I have always had an affinity for 11:17. :)

              I need to make one editorial revision to my last post. I can almost
              hear Ambrose as he makes his way to the keyboard to type in "...a few
              quibbles..." <joke Ambrose!! just shows you folks force me to stay
              on my toes>

              I said we have Bede to thank for the Anno Domini system which is true.
              But it wasn't his "Ecclesiastical History of England" that did so --
              that was just the first work to employ the new dating system. Rather,
              and obviously, it was his "On the Reckoning of Time" that proposed the
              new system.

              Personally, I wish New Year started with the Spring Equinox. And if
              you track back "Mary's pregnancy" from December 25, it takes you to
              pretty darn close to the Vernal Equinox. So I think I shall reckon
              time from that holy gate.

              I'm all about Christmas trees with their light in the darkest time of
              the year. But I especially want to celebrate the start of Spring
              (either Babylonian or Chinese reckoning) since it coincides with the
              visible New Year. Winter Solstice may mark the start of the year when
              daylight begins to outlast night. But it doesn't make itself
              appreciably noticeable until at least March-ish.

              * * *

              Time, number and events -- I agree with you Dan. It is a powerful
              motif in the minds of humans.

              I also object to birthdays. Good for kids, of course, but I am tired
              of marking my progress in so-many laps around the sun. This year,
              Father's day was more fun than my birthday.

              So if those holidays are all arbitrary and losing their connection
              with meaning for us, what days/events do still hold meaning? Are there
              any? What would a truly "modern calendar" look like -- would it have
              days that set aside for reflection? or outward attention-giving? or
              rejoicing?

              do we even feel connected with the progress of time, i.e. the year? or
              has that too become superfluous and disconnected?

              for myself, I wish Christmas-to-New Year's was one long holiday. Six
              or so days of reflection, emphasizing peace more than partying.

              and spring, as I say, is very important to me.

              otherwise, I think a modern calendar should at least have one
              three-day weekend a month. it is something to look forward to! is that
              a democratic calendar in a work-a-day world?

              PS -- Dan, many congratulations on your success while overseas! Is
              everything progressing well? When will you be united with your children?

              wow, now THAT is reason to rejoice!!!

              Chris

              --- In sacredlandscapelist@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel N. Washburn"
              <danw@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > faded from consciousness in the past few years.
              >
              > Dan
              >

              > >--- In sacredlandscapelist@yahoogroups.com, "Dominick Carlucci"
              > ><scorpio_eagle2002@> wrote:
              > >

              > >>Dan,
              > >>
              > >>I don't think the 'dev' isn't winning anything - a very wise lady once
              > >>shared this concept with me:
              > >>
              > >>"If God is the Creator of all there is, and everything is under
              > >>His/Her/Its Divine Direction, then it stands to reason that Satan is
              > >>as well." Is she's right, then only God is real, and all else is
              > >>illusion. Indeed, as another wise woman likes to remind me:
              > >>
              > >>"Only Love exists - all else is illusion. Remember, wherever you are,
              > >>God is."
              > >>
              > >>Thoughts to ponder......
              > >>
              > >>Dominick

              > >Topics suitable for discussion in this e-list can be found at:

            • Ambrose Hawk
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 4, 2007
                Well, I forget when 1 January became the "New Year" ... it used to be
                the Feast of Circumcision .... I forget where they've moved that to
                these degenerate days :)
                Anyway, this did not happen until after the calendar reforms of Gregory
                the Great.
                But ... the "new year" used to be 1 March, which several folks think
                used to be the Spring Equinox before the Calendar Reforms by Julius
                Caesar.
                So, the solar points have moved 25 days, it seems since the foundation
                of the calendar system we use now.
                You must remember that Any Terran who lives in the Temperate Zones and
                doesn't spend his/her life indoors would soon notice the solar cycle ...
                so those and lunar timed events are world wide phenomenon ... nobody has
                to borrow, steal, or whatever from anybody else to get there! Moreover,
                everybody's celebration of these events will be analogous to everybody
                else's as similar events are occurring.

                Quibble, Quibble ...
                :)
                Ambrose

                --
                IN HOC MODO, MILLIS FRANGITVR!
              • Dominick Carlucci
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 4, 2007
                  Listmates,

                  Perhaps there is indeed something to the 07-07-07 phenomenon after
                  all....

                  I received an email this evening from a friend whose son's birthday was
                  some 2 weeks ago. However, due to the various schedules of his extended
                  family members, he has been trying to co-ordinate a date where everyone
                  could get together to celebrate, and only now has been able to set the
                  date for Saturday, 07-07-07.

                  This would mean nothing, of course, if it weren't for the fact that
                  it's his son's SEVENTH birthday.......

                  Dominick
                • danw888
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 5, 2007
                    Here is an article from the Washington Post. Apparently Lucky 7 has
                    alot of soon to be married couples and gamblers in hot pursuit of
                    the goddess fortuna.

                    Lucky in Love? Couples Book 7/7/07 Weddings
                    Reservations Are Up For Auspicious Day

                    By Kendra Marr
                    Washington Post Staff Writer
                    Saturday, June 30, 2007; Page A01

                    It's unclear whether July 7, 2007, will be the luckiest wedding day
                    of the century, but it will certainly be one of the busiest this
                    year.

                    Hotels, wedding planners, caterers, florists and bakers are
                    scrambling to accommodate the flood of couples rushing to the altar
                    on 7/7/07. They're juggling more events than usual. Some are hiring
                    extra help. Old hands say the crush will exceed the number of
                    millennium marriages or those celebrated on a typical Valentine's
                    Day.

                    There are no official numbers for this day. But one indicator is
                    TheKnot.com, a popular wedding Web site. More than 38,000 couples in
                    TheKnot.com's registry are planning to wed next Saturday -- more
                    than triple the average number of couples that signed up to marry on
                    Saturdays in July 2006, said Christa Vagnozzi, a senior editor.

                    The date is popular for many reasons, as seven is considered an
                    auspicious number in a variety of cultures.

                    "It's a little extra luck for a happy, long marriage. Any little bit
                    helps," said Deepak Baskaran, 30, of Baltimore, who will be getting
                    married next Saturday in the District. "Plus I'll never forget that
                    anniversary date, or I'll be in big trouble."

                    In the Orthodox Jewish tradition, the bride circles the groom seven
                    times when she arrives at the chuppah, a canopy used in weddings,
                    symbolizing in part the seven days of creation. Seven candles are
                    lit during Kwanzaa. There are seven wonders of the world. The Big
                    Dipper is formed from seven stars. Buddha is said to have walked
                    seven steps upon his birth. The Islamic tradition involves seven
                    levels of heaven. The ancient city of Rome was said to be built on
                    seven hills. There are seven deadly sins, as well as virtues, in
                    some Christian traditions. And gamblers hit the jackpot with the
                    slot machine combination 7-7-7.

                    Triple sevens simply amplify the numerological meaning for those
                    tying the knot.

                    Brides and grooms snatched up wedding venues more than a year in
                    advance. Richard Markel, director of the Association for Wedding
                    Professionals International, did a survey of 2,000 hotels and
                    wedding facilities and discovered that 75 percent were already
                    reserved by December for 7/7/07.

                    "The good news is that nobody raised their prices," Markel
                    said. "They really didn't expect it."

                    One wedding planner managed to persuade a bride to get married seven
                    minutes after midnight when she couldn't book the triple sevens.

                    "There were a lot of brides who actually started looking to buy the
                    date from other brides," Markel said.

                    Las Vegas, the land of economical and impromptu weddings, is
                    particularly hectic. Travel Web site Vegas.com is booking about six
                    times as many hotel rooms as normal for that weekend. Some hotels
                    and casinos are touting "lucky" deals, such as a chance to win a
                    $777 meal and a mass wedding at 7 p.m.

                    <scorpio_eagle2002@...> wrote:

                    > Listmates,
                    >
                    > Perhaps there is indeed something to the 07-07-07 phenomenon after
                    > all....
                    >
                    > I received an email this evening from a friend whose son's
                    birthday was
                    > some 2 weeks ago. However, due to the various schedules of his
                    extended
                    > family members, he has been trying to co-ordinate a date where
                    everyone
                    > could get together to celebrate, and only now has been able to set
                    the
                    > date for Saturday, 07-07-07.
                    >
                    > This would mean nothing, of course, if it weren't for the fact
                    that
                    > it's his son's SEVENTH birthday.......
                    >
                    > Dominick

                  • Ambrose Hawk
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 5, 2007
                      Dominick wrote:
                      This would mean nothing, of course, if it weren't for the fact that
                      it's his son's SEVENTH birthday.......
                      ---
                      He wouldn't be the seventh son would he?
                      :)
                      Art

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 6, 2007
                        *G* Naw, not so lucky!

                        D.

                        --- In sacredlandscapelist@yahoogroups.com, Ambrose Hawk <ahawk@...>

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 6, 2007
                          Sorta makes one wonder how many got married on 6-6-06 (666)? *EG*

                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 6, 2007
                            well i for one would like to take this opportunity to wish every one an asymmetrical
                            07/06/07.

                            kind of like those arabic carpets that make sure the symmetry is never perfect -- they
                            don't want to compete with the perfection of their deity.

                            my whisky infused state assures me such belief is far fetched.

                            but i like the asymmetry.

                            goes with my apolitics.

                            well, here's to you, my friends. on the eve of a poker-perfect day.