article on Institute for Metascientific Research in Texas

  • Amy Martin
    Message 1 of 1 , May 4 1:48 PM
      FYI from AMY: I found this interesting happening in my modest burg of Dallas,
      Texas.

      more at: http://www.dallasobserver.com/2007-05-03/news/god-in-the-details/full
      more at: www.ScienceFindsGod.com
      more at: www.thewonderoftheworld.com

      God in the Details
      For a quarter-century Roy Abraham Varghese has been assembling God proofs. Along
      the way he won over the world's most influential atheist.
      By Mark Stuertz
      Published: May 3, 2007

      Roy Abraham Varghese has a God equation. It is self-evident. He sees it in a
      grain of sand. He sees it in bees, especially bees. By rights, bees shouldn't
      fly. The haphazard way in which they beat their wings simply shouldn't haul
      their pot-bellied bodies aloft. But they fly, hovering and reversing over
      bluebonnets and bachelor buttons. Bees flout the laws of physics and
      aerodynamics, a puzzle that perplexed scientists for 70 years. "How is it that
      they can do that?" he asked in a 2005 interview at Perry's Restaurant while
      smacking on bites of filet mignon. "The fact that these insects can do this..."
      Varghese trailed off.

      To Varghese bees are a wonder, and wonder is what fascinates him. In his 2003
      book The Wonder of the World: A Journey From Modern Science to the Mind of God,
      Varghese laments the loss of wonder. "[T]he modern world knows little of
      wonder," he writes. "Some Grinch has stolen the magic that makes us wonder and
      turned the paradise we call the world into a desolate wilderness."

      Varghese blames modern science but not in the way you might think. Varghese
      isn't in the grip of science phobia, sounding a call to have it stripped from
      schools and cut off from federal funding. Varghese revels in science, from the
      weirdness of astrophysics, to the radiating blooms of life embedded in the
      fossil record, to the mind-blowing implications of quantum mechanics. He is
      entranced by the effectiveness of mathematics in the natural world. Eerily,
      everything before our eyes—and far more beyond—follows exacting laws and has
      attributes that can be expressed through numbers and exotic equations. This
      effectiveness presupposes profound thought, he believes. Profound thought
      presupposes infinite mind. Infinite mind presupposes...

      Varghese blames "a band of intellectuals trapped in vacuous abstractions and
      irrational ideologies" for stripping away wonder...

      --
      Please visit http://WWW.MOONLADY.COM to discover:
      <> Moonlady News: holistic/eco/alt/progressive online listserve for N Texas.