[sacredlandscapelist] Hancock

  • catherine yronwode
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30 9:46 AM
      Thanks very much for the Hancock refutation summary.

      Of all the pages at my site, my critical review of Hancock's rhetorical
      methods generates the most heat -- i get almost weekly hate-mail from
      folks who think i am picking on him. I don't know why it is so, but he
      has generated a very loyal following, and they seem to look to
      "conspiracy theories" behind every attempt to treat his "ancient
      civilization" theories with critical dispassion.

      As far as i am concerned, Hancock is a journalist who saw an opening and
      ran with it, in a cynical way and not as a believer (which only means
      that he is more intelligent than he is ethical) -- but now the reaction
      against him has set in and he's in the same boat with T. Lobsang Rampa
      (the British fake Tibetan lama), Churchward (the Mu guy), Von Daniken
      (the ancient astronauts guy), Carlos Castaneda (the Yaqui super-powered
      Indian guy), Tompkins (the Atlantis in the Bahamas guy) and all the rest
      of the writers who made a splash with their "incredible tales" books
      about archaeology and anthropology and then ran out of steam half-way
      through their journalistic careers because the scientific community woke
      up to their shennanigans, rolled over, and summarily debunked their
      hypotheses.

      He'll linger on for a while, but like many people who build their houses
      on sand, his has just about been washed oput from under him.

      I hope everyone had a happy Thanksgiving -- i sure did.

      The best news from around these parts (albeit off-toipic) is that we
      have expanded the Lucky Mojo Curio Co. space and set up a showroom of
      sorts. I tried to have some nicely proportioned wooden showcases made by
      the man who just opened up a custom-made country-style "farm" furniture
      shop in downtown Forestville -- even designed them myself and gave the
      man a deposit -- but he has flaked on me, and after three months and a
      refusal to give me my money back, i've been reduced to buying cheap
      particle-board showroom furniture. What is it with these furniture guys,
      anyway? This one is a born-again Christian, so i know he's got a place
      in heaven -- but what a waste of my earthly time!!!

      In more exciting news, Peter Green, the former lead guitarist with
      Fleetwood Mac, plans to use my Lucky Mojo label artwork for the cover of
      his next album, to be titled "Hot Foot Powder: The Robert Johnson
      Songbook Volume Two." Pretty wild, eh? I mean, the idea that he'd be
      making records again was a long shot until the invention of the new SSRI
      drugs -- and that he'd want MY ARTWORK for his album cover is, well,
      pretty amazing. He saw it on the web. Well, it's a small world after
      all, or has been since the invention of the internet.

      cat yronwode

      The Sacred Landscape ------- http://www.luckymojo.com/sacredland.html
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 2, 1999
        catherine yronwode wrote:

        > Thanks very much for the Hancock refutation summary.
        >
        > As far as i am concerned, Hancock is a journalist who saw an opening and
        > ran with it, in a cynical way and not as a believer (which only means
        > that he is more intelligent than he is ethical) -- but now the reaction
        > against him has set in and he's in the same boat with T. Lobsang Rampa
        > (the British fake Tibetan lama), Churchward (the Mu guy), Von Daniken
        > (the ancient astronauts guy), Carlos Castaneda (the Yaqui super-powered
        > Indian guy), Tompkins (the Atlantis in the Bahamas guy) and all the rest
        > of the writers who made a splash with their "incredible tales" books
        > about archaeology and anthropology and then ran out of steam half-way
        > through their journalistic careers because the scientific community woke
        > up to their shennanigans, rolled over, and summarily debunked their
        > hypotheses.

        I think you underrate the contributions that Tompkins has made. The Secrets
        of the Great Pyramid will live for a long while and Magic of the Obelisks is
        a wonderful work of history. However unsavory his attempt to set up a
        menage a trois in the self-decieving two-faced name of free love, I gotta
        say I met the popsie he was playing with and she was a stunner. I'd be
        tempted myself, but unlike his wife, my wife would kill me.

        > In more exciting news, Peter Green, the former lead guitarist with
        > Fleetwood Mac, plans to use my Lucky Mojo label artwork for the cover of
        > his next album, to be titled "Hot Foot Powder: The Robert Johnson
        > Songbook Volume Two." Pretty wild, eh? I mean, the idea that he'd be
        > making records again was a long shot until the invention of the new SSRI
        > drugs -- and that he'd want MY ARTWORK for his album cover is, well,
        > pretty amazing. He saw it on the web. Well, it's a small world after
        > all, or has been since the invention of the internet.

        Speaking of my wife, who used to sing with a band, she's wondering about
        Peter Green. Who is he and what are SSRI drugs? Fleetwood Mac consisted
        of Lindsey Buckingham, Stevie Nicks, John MacVie, Christine MacVie, and Mick
        Fleetwood. She doesn't remember Peter Green.

        BTW she owns her own business and she says she coulda told ya -- never do
        business with a born-again Christian.

        Dan W.