Re: [sl] Spong's 12 theses

  • SaraAnneC@AOL.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 15, 2007
      In a message dated 3/15/2007 3:37:58 P.M. Central Standard Time, danw@... writes:
      I ask you, if you accept these 12 theses, what is left of
      Christianity?
      Hi Dan;

      I am not ready to address these theses, pro of con ... I've just made it past chapter four (the apostles/disciples) .... what I am getting so far is a deconstruction of dogma. He promises a new construct before the book is done.

      I have been reading Spong's Internet Q&A column for a couple of years and find him generally refreshing...

      My greatest issue with traditional Christianity is the damned dogma ... mumbo-jumbo "it's a mystery" crap.
      Well, that and the perverted versions of it that are so rampant in my part of the country.

      I may end up critical of Spong, as you already are, but I guess I am maybe not as far along the path as you are?

      He's not the first Episcopal bishop to become controversial; I am just old enough to remember Bishop James Pike ... in fact, I inherited a copy of the book about his life and strange death in the desert back in the mid-1960s. Haven't read that one yet either. (You REALLY think you have more yet to read than me? LOL)

      SaraAnne

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 16, 2007
        SaraAnneC@... wrote:

        > In a message dated 3/15/2007 3:37:58 P.M. Central Standard Time,
        > danw@... writes:
        >
        > I ask you, if you accept these 12 theses, what is left of
        > Christianity?
        >
        > Hi Dan;
        >
        > I am not ready to address these theses, pro of con ... I've just made
        > it past chapter four (the apostles/disciples) .... what I am getting
        > so far is a deconstruction of dogma. He promises a new construct
        > before the book is done.

        > I have been reading Spong's Internet Q&A column for a couple of years
        > and find him generally refreshing...

        You obviously have been playing Spong alot more intensely than I have.
        If he has constructive things to say, I'm open. I just think he
        swallows scientific materialism hook and line.

        > My greatest issue with traditional Christianity is the damned dogma
        > ... mumbo-jumbo "it's a mystery" crap.
        > Well, that and the perverted versions of it that are so rampant in my
        > part of the country.
        >
        > I may end up critical of Spong, as you already are, but I guess I am
        > maybe not as far along the path as you are?
        >
        > He's not the first Episcopal bishop to become controversial; I am just
        > old enough to remember Bishop James Pike ... in fact, I inherited a
        > copy of the book about his life and strange death in the desert back
        > in the mid-1960s. Haven't read that one yet either. (You REALLY think
        > you have more yet to read than me? LOL)

        Yes, a blast from the past. I read it years ago and can barely remember
        the story. He lost is son, I believe, and became convinced that he
        could communicate via mediums across the great divide. When he began
        writing books that sounded spiritualist the episcopal church sidelined
        him.

        Odd that Spong who is a materialist heretic is still among the
        anglicans, but Pike who believed in an afterlife was disowned.

        Shows that many people who are religious in name don't take their
        beliefs seriously, I guess.

        Dan