Spong's 12 theses

  • danw888
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 15, 2007
      I ask you, if you accept these 12 theses, what is left of
      Christianity? As far as I'm concerned good old Shelby is a
      hypocrite, he should have de-frocked himself years ago. I can't
      understand the Anglican communion. Why is he still a bishop, the
      most famous anglican bishop alive, when the angles can't even
      stomach a little gay marriage among their priesthood. He is
      preaching full-scale heresy.

      What God, the spirit, and the nature of reality are really like I
      find fascinating questions, but I am not at all sure Spong is
      addressing them. He seems to be swallowing scientism whole.

      The 12 Theses

      1. Theism, as a way of defining God, is dead. So most theological
      God-talk is today meaningless. A new way to speak of God must be
      found.

      2. Since God can no longer be conceived in theistic terms, it
      becomes nonsensical to seek to understand Jesus as the incarnation
      of the theistic deity. So the Christology of the ages is bankrupt.

      3. The biblical story of the perfect and finished creation from
      which human beings fell into sin is pre-Darwinian mythology and post-
      Darwinian nonsense.

      4. The virgin birth, understood as literal biology, makes Christ's
      divinity, as traditionally understood, impossible.

      5. The miracle stories of the New Testament can no longer be
      interpreted in a post-Newtonian world as supernatural events
      performed by an incarnate deity.

      6. The view of the cross as the sacrifice for the sins of the world
      is a barbarian idea based on primitive concepts of God and must be
      dismissed.

      7. Resurrection is an action of God. Jesus was raised into the
      meaning of God. It therefore cannot be a physical resuscitation
      occurring inside human history.

      8. The story of the Ascension assumed a three-tiered universe and is
      therefore not capable of being translated into the concepts of a
      post-Copernican space age.

      9. There is no external, objective, revealed standard writ in
      scripture or on tablets of stone that will govern our ethical
      behavior for all time.

      10. Prayer cannot be a request made to a theistic deity to act in
      human history in a particular way.

      11. The hope for life after death must be separated forever from the
      behavior control mentality of reward and punishment. The Church must
      abandon, therefore, its reliance on guilt as a motivator of
      behavior.

      12. All human beings bear God's image and must be respected for what
      each person is. Therefore, no external description of one's being,
      whether based on race, ethnicity, gender or sexual orientation, can
      properly be used as the basis for either rejection or
      discrimination.