Re: metrology

    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 10, 2007
      Hi Dan,

      I just got it today and am very excited to look through it. I'll be sure to make copies of
      anything that might interest you and get them off to you by post. I'm particularly
      interested in what he has to say about the "indus inch". I was also able to order an article
      entitled, "the evolution of weights and measures in india" which I am also particularly
      intersted in reviewing.

      toodles,

      -Chris

      --- In sacredlandscapelist@yahoogroups.com, "danw888" <danw@...> wrote:

      > --- In sacredlandscapelist@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <groups@>
      > wrote:
      >
      > Hi, Chris
      >
      > Congrats on getting hold of Berriman! I didn't know you were such
      > an ancient metrology buff. I'm interested, just have other
      > priorities these days. One person I've noted but not done any
      > follow up on is John Neal. Have you looked at his book 'Its all
      > done with mirrors'? Claims to have some insight into the meaning
      > and interlocking nature of all the old systems of metrology.
      >
      > http://www.secretacademy.com/pages/bookdescription.htm
      >
      > Dan
      >

      > > just thought I'd update:
      > >
      > > I am about to get my hands on the Berriman history of metrology.
      > > finally. it has only taken about three years. talk about hard to
      > get
      > > hold of.
      > >
      > > one item I am interested in following up on is the "indus
      > > inch"--similar to Sumer, archaeologists in India have unearthed at
      > > least two graduated rules in decimal form. The most interesting
      > aspect
      > > is they appear to be close to the Megalithic yard. But that is
      > what I
      > > really want to follow up on.
      > >
      > > I made good progress on Teotihuacan in Mexico thanks to Harleston.
      > He
      > > has a good site online for those that are interested. Think
      > Stecchinni
      > > but for Mexico--and not so nutty. Harleston is the one that
      > discovered
      > > the unit "STU", meaning "standard Teotihuacan Unit. Though he
      > referred
      > > to it as "hunab".
      > >
      > > Finally, god love Excel. After looking all over for a decent
      > > calculator that would help convert form multiple cubit forms, it
      > turns
      > > out that coding it oneself in Excel does the trick. I can now
      > convert
      > > quite seamlessly from Egyptian, Sumero-Babylonian, Greek, Hebrew,
      > and
      > > now Teotihuacan units. So I'm trying to round it out with this
      > Indus
      > > inch. If this keeps up, I may one day even get to add Cambodia,
      > China
      > > and Japan. That would be pure number-heaven for me.
      > >
      > > Bear in mind, this is still all in the name of exploring the square
      > > form at the center of most sacred sites. At this point, to be
      > honest,
      > > I find non-square centers the exception and they kind of interest
      > me
      > > more. Lol. Talk about going full-square. er, circle.
      > >
      > > anyone else on the list have an interest in metrology or the square
      > > these days?
      > >
      > > -Chris

    • jjdepompeo
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 10, 2007
        Chris -

        Although it is out of date, for the sake of completeness you may be
        interested in Sir Isaac Newton's hard to find "Dissertation upon the
        Sacred Cubit of the Hebrews, and the Cubits of several Nations; in
        which from the Dimensions of the greatest Egyptian Pyramid, as taken by
        Mr. John Greaves, the antient Cubit of Memphis is determined" which is
        translated from the Latin and extracted from the works of Mr. John
        Greaves, Professor of Astronomy in the University of Oxford, and
        published as an appendix to Smyth's Life and Work at the Great Pyramid,
        page 341 ( page 362 in the adobe reader ) available free online at
        Google Books

        http://books.google.com/books?vid=OCLC02927000&id=UYaVfDNsxTEC&pg=RA1-
        PR17&lpg=RA1-PR17&dq=life+and+work+at+the+great+pyramid#PRA19-PA367,M1

        - John
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 12, 2007
          Hi John, thanks for mentioning that. I'd love to take a look--however it appears the book
          is no longer available to download. the link you provided is only for purchasing.

          if you have a pdf copy, can i please contact you offline?

          -Chris

          --- In sacredlandscapelist@yahoogroups.com, "jjdepompeo" <jjd4578@...> wrote:

          > Chris -
          >
          > Although it is out of date, for the sake of completeness you may be
          > interested in Sir Isaac Newton's hard to find "Dissertation upon the
          > Sacred Cubit of the Hebrews, and the Cubits of several Nations; in
          > which from the Dimensions of the greatest Egyptian Pyramid, as taken by
          > Mr. John Greaves, the antient Cubit of Memphis is determined" which is
          > translated from the Latin and extracted from the works of Mr. John
          > Greaves, Professor of Astronomy in the University of Oxford, and
          > published as an appendix to Smyth's Life and Work at the Great Pyramid,
          > page 341 ( page 362 in the adobe reader ) available free online at
          > Google Books
          >
          > http://books.google.com/books?vid=OCLC02927000&id=UYaVfDNsxTEC&pg=RA1-
          > PR17&lpg=RA1-PR17&dq=life+and+work+at+the+great+pyramid#PRA19-PA367,M1
          >
          > - John

        • jjdepompeo
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 12, 2007

            Actually, if you look on the upper right hand side of the web page below under Summary, you will see a Download button, which if you right click and select Save As, it will initiate the download ( I just tried it again and it works - many of the books in Google books are in public domain and scanned from early editions contained in various libraries ).  If it still does not work feel free to send me an email and I will send you a copy of the pdf .  In fact send me an email anyway, as I am interested in seeing if Yahoo updated the change I made to my email address, since the From line of the Post Message page still displays my old email.  BTW does Berriman cover the cubit of ancient Egypt in his work?

            - John

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 13, 2007
              Hi John,

              I don't know what is different when I visit the sight but I do not have a "download" option
              there. I even tried two browsers just in case Google didn't support one. But almost
              everyonen suppports Firefox these days.

              I tried contacting you off list but two emails were returned. Mind emailing me instead?

              About Berriman: yes, some interesting summaries of linear lengths. It is soooo much more
              readable than Stecchinni. Still highly mathematically, I liken it to:

              this is Stecchinni;
              this is Stecchinni on drugs

              metrum.org has a lot of the latter. Berriman is more of the former. Include your post
              address and I'll get Egyptian references off to you in the mail.

              Cheers,