[sl] Re: Sacred Geometry Books

  • danw888
    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 21, 2006
      Hi, SaraAnne

      Beginners Guide is one of the best, in my opinion. I't's worth giving
      another try. You might just skim through it looking for topics that
      interest you.

      Skinner and Hemenway I haven't read.

      The Geometry of Art and Life is a good readable intro and The Power of
      Limits has a lot of proportional analysis of leaves and flowers that
      you might be interested in.

      How did you get to Sacred Geometry from bible gardening?

      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 21, 2006
        I agree with Dan. However, the simplest book on the topic is probably
        Nigel Pennick's Sacred Geometry. You have to be careful with his
        numbers--some of his information on Moses' tabernacle is just wrong.
        He also speculates where he shouldn't--but then again, that's why his
        books sell. But he does explain things well and it worked for me as an
        introduction to the topic.

        I have always wanted to try Miranda Lundy's Sacred Geometry too but
        haven't seen it yet.

        What is that you want to know?

        -Chris

        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 21, 2006
          Oh, try David Fideler's "Jesus Christ: Sun of God". That is also an
          excellent introduction to the topic. That is by far the best source
          for follow-up works too--WONDERFUL bibliography.

          Also, Robert Lawlor's Sacred Geometry is also a good starting point.
          http://www.amazon.com/Sacred-Geometry-Philosophy-Practice-Imagination/dp/0500810303

          There is another title I want to recommend but can't think of it at
          this time. Will follow-up later.

          Mean time, try this wonderful bibliography page for ideas (and site
          too, if you haven't already seen it):

          http://www.sacredsites.com/bibliography/bib1/index.html

          -Chris

        • SaraAnneC@AOL.com
          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 21, 2006
            In a message dated 12/21/2006 10:39:55 A.M. Central Standard Time, danw@... writes:
            How did you get to Sacred Geometry from bible gardening?
            Hi Dan -- and thanks for the comments/ideas...

            The answer to your question is convoluted and tied to my habit of over-researching my subjects, no matter what they are and where they lead me.

            I like to refer to Mark Twain who once offered: "I interrupted my education long enough to go to school"
            insofar as my quest for knowledge/understanding is far more universal than it ever was when I was in college (or before).

            Ironically, for my 60-year-old brain, this has a bit more challenging a task than it was when I was, say, 20.

            Part of my book proposal includes garden/landscape designs and an attempt to define "sacred landscapes." And, realistically, I probably need to limit my introduction to this chapter to a mere page or two. I need to offer a brief and succinct "for dummies" introduction to the concept and field (as it were) of study.

            An Internet friend in France suggested the study of Sacred Geometry and, curiously, within a month I attended a lecture by a gentleman at Purdue University on this very subject, related to the labyrinth at new Harmony, Indiana that he designed/engineered to match, down to the last millimeter, the one at Chartres Cathedral in France.
            I knew his subject was labyrinths -- I did not realize the specific topic of sacred geometry was in his agenda that night until he spoke the words.
            Serendipity for sure. And I don't much believe in the randomness of coincidences like that.

            I live about 35 miles from New Harmony and visit that site regularly.

            I'll keep plugging along and will re-approach Beginner's Guide .... today/tonight is Solstice. I generally hunker down in January and February and do a lot of reading.

            Happily, the guy at Purdue, whose name escapes me right now, has offered to help me if I become so stuck I can't find my way out...  =)

            All this for a page or two of manuscript.
            I am nuts.

            SaraAnne

          • SaraAnneC@AOL.com
            Message 5 of 26 , Dec 21, 2006
              In a message dated 12/21/2006 11:05:56 A.M. Central Standard Time, groups@... writes:
              What is that you want to know?
              Well, Chris... I guess I want to be conversant enough to write a page or two intro to people with virtually no interest in pursuing the subject further.
              And I want to know everything.... sigh....
              Thanks for the Nigel Pennick reference....

              SaraAnne
            • Marc Steurbaut
              Message 6 of 26 , Dec 21, 2006
                I have "Le Symbolisme Hermétique" by Oswald Wirth, published in 1931 and with a dedication from the author. I inherited it from my grandfather. Very interesting. It's still published I think.

                Message 7 of 26 , Dec 21, 2006
                  okay.

                  btw, have you looked at this website?

                  http://www.dartmouth.edu/~matc/math5.geometry/unit1/INTRO.html

                  I am going to dig around tonight to see if my summary from mircea
                  eliade's encylcopedia is worth sending you or not.

                  more later,

                  -Chris

                  --- In sacredlandscapelist@yahoogroups.com, SaraAnneC@... wrote:

                  > In a message dated 12/21/2006 11:05:56 A.M. Central Standard Time,
                  > groups@... writes:
                  >
                  > What is that you want to know?
                  >

                  > Well, Chris... I guess I want to be conversant enough to write a
                  page or two
                  > intro to people with virtually no interest in pursuing the subject
                  further.
                  > And I want to know everything.... sigh....
                  > Thanks for the Nigel Pennick reference....
                  >
                  > SaraAnne

                • einar kvaran
                  Message 8 of 26 , Dec 21, 2006
                    SaraAnne, If, or better yet, WHEN, the name comes to
                    you do you mind passing it on. My daughter is a Ph.
                    D. student in the history department at Purdue, and .
                    . . .... like you I don't really believe in the
                    randomness of coincidences like this. Einar

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • SaraAnneC@AOL.com
                    Message 9 of 26 , Dec 22, 2006
                      In a message dated 12/21/2006 5:08:01 P.M. Central Standard Time, eeklon@... writes:
                      If, or better yet, WHEN, the name comes to
                      you do you mind passing it on.  My daughter is a Ph.
                      D. student in the history department at Purdue,
                      Good morning Einar;

                      It has been something like three, possibly four years since I attended that lecture. It will be a coincidence of epic proportion if I ever recall that gentleman's name, LOL

                      In the meantime, I suspect that he can be found out, as it were, if your daughter were to make inquiries specific to the labyrinth at New Harmony, Indiana, as he was instrumental in getting it mapped out for the people who then actually built the thing... I recall him being probably in his 50s or early 60s... Caucasian.... short brown hair (Sounds like an episode of Law and Order, eh?).

                      Type "New Harmony Labyrinth" in the Google search engine and you'll get several hits; you want one with the granite structure, not the Harmonist structure made with shrubbery (although it is a much more practical application from a monetary standpoint). There will be pictures of both.

                      And yes, that little tiny town sports TWO labyrinths! An embarrassment of riches, for sure...

                      SaraAnne
                      Message 10 of 26 , Dec 22, 2006
                        I think this is your Purdue Professor:

                        Kent Schuette: The head architect for the magnificent Cathedral
                        Labyrinth and Sacred Garden in New Harmony, Indiana, Kent Schuette went
                        to chartres and measured the labyrinth in person. he and his team then
                        constructed a full-scale replica in granite, in a setting which reflects
                        the dimensions of the nave of Chartres Cathedral. This is arguable the
                        most beautiful labyrinth in the United States. Kent Schuette has used
                        his interest in sacred geometry to study the original design for New
                        Harmony, founded in 1814 by Harmonists who also included a labyrinth as
                        part of their community. He is approaching retirement from Purdue
                        University where he is adjunct professor of landscape architecture.

                      • SaraAnneC@AOL.com
                        Message 11 of 26 , Dec 23, 2006
                          In a message dated 12/22/2006 8:55:44 P.M. Central Standard Time, danw@... writes:
                          This is arguable the
                          most beautiful labyrinth in the United States
                          That's nice to hear... and it truly is spectacular. Walking barefoot and feeling the change in temperature in the stone as one moves from shaded to sunlit areas is also pretty wonderful.

                          That IS the guy at Purdue, by the way; now Einar can sick his daughter on him....

                          SaraAnne
                          Message 12 of 26 , Dec 23, 2006
                            Hi, SaraAnne

                            Looks like there is some interesting stuff going on out your way re
                            sacred gemetry.

                            http://www.newharmonysymposium.com/4436.html

                            Dan

                            SaraAnneC@... wrote:

                            > In a message dated 12/22/2006 8:55:44 P.M. Central Standard Time,
                            > danw@... writes:
                            >
                            > This is arguable the
                            > most beautiful labyrinth in the United States
                            >
                            > That's nice to hear... and it truly is spectacular. Walking barefoot
                            > and feeling the change in temperature in the stone as one moves from
                            > shaded to sunlit areas is also pretty wonderful.
                            >
                            > That IS the guy at Purdue, by the way; now Einar can sick his daughter
                            > on him....
                            >
                            > SaraAnne

                          • einar kvaran
                            Message 13 of 26 , Dec 23, 2006
                              Thanks, I'll track him down. Einar

                              Message 14 of 26 , Dec 23, 2006
                                Thanks Daniel. You da man! eeeeeeeeek
                                --- "Daniel N. Washburn" <danw@...>

                                Message 15 of 26 , Dec 23, 2006

                                  > That IS the guy at Purdue, by the way; now Einar can
                                  > sick his daughter on
                                  > him.... SaraAnne

                                  Have no fear. Our Prof. is into landscaping. I shall
                                  arm my daughter with a mint copy of Charles Greening's
                                  "The Greening Pictorial System of Landscape Gardening"
                                  and she'll have the fellow eating out of the palm of
                                  her hand.

                                  Thanks, all. eeeeeeeek

                                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                                • SaraAnneC@AOL.com
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Dec 24, 2006
                                    In a message dated 12/23/2006 9:03:53 P.M. Central Standard Time, eeklon@... writes:
                                    "The Greening Pictorial System of Landscape Gardening"
                                    Shoot, Einar.... now I have ANOTHER book to add to my wish list!

                                    Can you tell me more about this title/author?

                                    If your daughter somehow finds herself down here during that symposium, or whenever -- let me know and perhaps I can take her to lunch somewhere?

                                    SaraAnne

                                  • SaraAnneC@AOL.com
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Dec 24, 2006
                                      "The Greening Pictorial System of Landscape Gardening"
                                      I just tried to find that book at Amazon and it is apparently unavailable,even as a used volume....

                                      Just as well, I suppose, as I have nearly exhausted my "discretionary income" budget for the next few months....

                                      SaraAnne

                                    • einar kvaran
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Dec 30, 2006
                                        Hi SaraAnne:

                                        Sorry about the delay. We are having apretty major
                                        winter storm here and have been without electricy for
                                        a couple of days. It returned this am. Fortunately
                                        we have a wood burning stove, so there was some heat
                                        and Violet's orchids survived [us and the dogs too],
                                        but we have an electric pomp on the well, so the only
                                        water around was at a nearby house that had a backup
                                        hand pump on their well. It was very Biblical [except
                                        for the foot of snow on the ground] with the whole
                                        neighborhood meeting at the well.

                                        On Monday I'm driving into Santa Fe to dig out two
                                        sets of friends who are snowed in with up to 36 inches
                                        drifted against the doors. Should be a fun day. One
                                        of them, Lyall Watson, [who can be found on wikipedia]
                                        is a pretty sacred landscape in himself.

                                        I did discover one copy of the Greening book at
                                        http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=112359136&searchurl=bx%3Doff%26sts%3Dt%26ds%3D30%26bi%3D0%26an%3Dgreening%26y%3D10%26tn%3Dgreening%26x%3D59%26sortby%3D2

                                        I almost always USE ABE.com over Amazon because they
                                        have been at it longer and are not trying to take over
                                        the book industry. Anyway the book is fairly
                                        expensive.

                                        Hmmmmm. Hopefully this is not too off topic - as the
                                        snow continues to fall. eeeeeeeeeeeeeeek

                                        http://mail.yahoo.com