[sacredlandscapelist] Mark Swaney's "roots"

  • catherine yronwode
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 1999
      Mark,

      I enjoyed the mathematical exegesis on your Stuart / Stewart ancestors.
      The idea that you are descendined from Every European who ever lived
      made me chuckle. See the October 1999 issue of The National Geographic
      (with a baby white piglet on the cover) for more on this topic. In an
      article on genetics, the author's mitochondrial DNA is tested to
      determine which of the several known ancient sub-strains of European
      ancestry he comes from. You might enjoy the article.

      I have gotten a similar uplift from my own genealogical research. My
      mother's immediate family is Kohn (Cohen), that is, of the priestly
      caste. The link that unites the Cohens is not "family myth;" it's
      confirmable through DNA. (There's lots about the genetics of the Cohens
      in the National Geographic article too.) Essentially, what this means --
      for the benefit of non-Jews who may be reading this -- is that i am a
      direct descendent and/or a collateral relative of a lot of famous guys
      in the Bible, including Aaron, King Solomon, King David, and Jesus
      Christ. That's always good for the ego -- but under Jewish patriarchal
      law, it avails me nothing, because although "Jewishness" itself is
      determined through the female line (mitochondrial DNA), the
      socio-religious benefits of being a Cohen only redound to the *males* in
      the Cohen lineage.

      cat yronwode

      The Sacred Landscape ------- http://www.luckymojo.com/sacredland.html