Re: Armageddon, global warming, etc.

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 8, 2006
      Hi there,

      > Now, onto something seemingly off subject: I joined this group
      > because I thought it had something to do with landscaping ... guess
      > it's not quite that, huh?

      Sure it does--just not in the pure physicalist stance. But discussions have veered onto
      cadirnally oriented, labyrinthine patiostone gardens and backyards, proper orientation of
      sundials, and probably much more in the early years than I know about.

      But you are right you have to take the sacred salt with a grain of landscape.

      As Jesus once never said, "it's all about fish net stockings."

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 9, 2006
        Hi, edgetexlady

        I respectfully disagree with your disagreement (and of course will fight
        to the death for your right to disagree).

        From my own reading I think there is a mutual 'use you' going on in
        the republican party - the right wing religious, who are very
        committed to apocalytic second coming scenarios are using the republican
        vehicle to achieve political power, and the social conservative, small
        gov repubs are using the right wing christians to build a coalition to
        achieve political power. The question is, can this be a happy
        farmyard. Who will eat whom first?

        I heard an Israeli general on the radio the other day talking about the
        Russians supplying Syria with rockets, the Syrians in turn supplying
        Hezbollah. This attack Israel via Russia from the North is part of what
        the prophecy christians are expecting. I forget where it is in the old
        testament, but it is definitely big in end-time thought for these
        people. So I can see em jumping up and down saying look, look.

        As to global warming, the science says its happening, we are partly
        responsible, and nobody knows how awful its going to be. That is where
        the debate is going on. Politically its going to be an issue in the
        next election because of energy policy and the price of gas.

        Please feel free to talk about landscaping! We have been in a more
        philosophical mood of late, but welcome more sacred garden oriented
        discussions.

        And Chris - boy do I dig fishnet stocking! I just wish it were that simple.

        Einar - the traditional answer to when the reign of love will be coming
        is, next tuesday -- so you better live your life expecting death, the
        end of the world, and the new beginning right now, cause if you can't
        love, you won't fit into the reign of love (aka the kingdom of god).

        Dan

      • TradTimber@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 9, 2006
          Folks,
          I've been thinking about the various views of what is currently happening
          on the planet and it is easy to follow the threads of fear and looming
          catastrophe.
          A few years ago I found the following statement in a delightful little
          book called "The Barefoot Doctor's Guide to the Tao" which I have included below.
          My sense is we could all spend our waking moments trying to figure which
          prophecy is coming into being and where we are on the Armageddon timeline but
          I wonder if that is what we are truly here for. May we all make the most of
          the day in front of us.

          John

          ++++++++++++++++++
          End of the World Phobia
          Concerning yourself about this world coming to an end and other such
          catastrophes is just another way to distract yourself from the present moment.
          Nobody knows when the world will end. It may end tomorrow, next week or never.
          Everything is in a state of flux. This is nothing new, it has always been
          so. Just because the world, or specifically this planet, is currently dominated
          by humans, there is nothing to say it won't soon be dominated by spiders.
          For you and me this would be uncomfortable and would definitely screw up our
          marketing plans. For the spiders, however, it would be business as usual.
          In fact, with every word you read, a world is coming to an end, as
          someone somewhere hangs up there Earth-boots for good, which is exactly why it is
          silly to waste even a moment worrying about anything, especially the end of the
          world even if it does make for great romantic tragedy.
          End-of-the-world phobia is a form of self-pity and is, as such. a
          procrastination device, used as a way to avoid engagement with the world that's
          happening around you in the present moment. Instead of worrying and lamenting,
          rejoice. Rejoice in supreme gratitude for the magnificent thrill of every
          moment, however strenuous or weird that moment may be.
          This does not mean you should walk around in ignorance of the dangers
          facing you on this planet at this present time, but simply that you don't let
          that prevent you from being fully alert and able to respond effectively,
          appropriately and cheerfully to whatever's happening in the present moment at this
          time.
          At times, fear of the danger, sadness at the needless destruction and
          despair at the suffering will inevitably overwhelm you. At these times, apply
          yourself with redoubled vigor to doing everything you can to preserve and
          nurture life, and as you do that, rejoice, i.e., literally feel joy again. It's the
          only thing for a warrior to do.
        • einar kvaran
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 9, 2006

            > Einar - the traditional answer to when the reign of
            love will be coming is, next tuesday -- so you better
            live your life expecting death, the end of the world,

            Dan:
            Do you think it can hold off until the 27th? That is
            when Saturn & Venus conjunct in firey Leo and it
            promises to be a time not to miss. After that, I'm
            pretty much ready. einar

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • einar kvaran
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 9, 2006
              I'm off to do some weeding, warrior style. Thanks,
              John.

            • SaraAnneC@AOL.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 9, 2006
                In a message dated 8/9/2006 9:59:29 A.M. Central Standard Time, TradTimber@... writes:
                "The Barefoot Doctor's Guide to the Tao"
                Damn! Another Book I'll have to buy!

                Thanks for the heads-up, John....

                SaraAnne