Re: [sl] educating our children

  • SaraAnneC@AOL.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 8 3:27 PM
      In a message dated 8/8/2006 5:10:27 P.M. Central Standard Time, eeklon@... writes:
      it underscores the
      reality that we [Americans] have given up teaching our
      children ethics and morality and the sacredness of the
      landscape [to try and get back on track] ourselves and
      expect/hope/DEMAND that the government [public schools
      being an aspect of our government] do it for us.  So
      when you then look at the morality of our government
      [including the local school boards etc] you see, or
      rather, i see, that this might not be such a good
      idea.
      Well ... an excellent point, Einar... and one that harks back to the whole muddled mess of how trapped we are by language and context.
      I was actually thinking about this a little earlier (after my last post) and realizing that my personal definition of what constitutes ethical behavior is based entirely on my own Judeo-Christian upbringing and all that "Golden Rule" stuff and taking care of God's creation including "the least among us."

      We do live in interesting times.... and I truly do believe in the axiom of those who don't know their history are doomed to repeat it.... and it is this history (culture, et al) that is not longer being taught.... at least not effectively.

      SaraAnne (heading for the garden to collect some herbs for dinner)

    • einar kvaran
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 9 7:40 AM
        the axiom of those who don't know their history are
        doomed to repeat it....

        After almost half century or so of believing this to
        be "true," I have done a 180 on it and am now an
        adherent of the opposite - those that dwell on the
        past, those who vibrate "what has been," they are the
        ones who will repeat it. If I might use a crass
        current analogy, we are not mired down in Iraq because
        we "forgot" about Viet Nam, but rather because we
        remember it so well and so often.

        Something like that.

        Einar

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • SaraAnneC@AOL.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 9 7:53 AM
          In a message dated 8/9/2006 9:42:51 A.M. Central Standard Time, eeklon@... writes:
          we are not mired down in Iraq because
          we "forgot" about Viet Nam, but rather because we
          remember it so well and so often.

          I'm not on the same page as you regarding this one; yes, we have certainly not forgotten Vietnam but I don't see where remembering it well and often has been a factor in the current "mess" in the Middle East. (Ever since we got The History Channel" on Cable TV we have been inundated with explorations in to the hows whys and wherefores of Vietnam, Korea and, especially WWII)
          I think the current mess in the Middle East is about oil. And about a bunch of guys suffering the toxic side effects of testosterone.

          SaraAnne
        • jkott333@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 9 8:10 AM

            In a message dated 8/9/06 10:55:44 AM, SaraAnneC@... writes:

            I think the current mess in the Middle East is about oil.>>>>>SA

            From my point of view, anything build on a lie with never bring forth anything good whether it is in a marriage, a relationship, a business agreement that was created with toxic energy. The main reason I like being in the Garden is that I am surrounded by Truth and Truth brings comfort and Peace and it is easier to be in the Now.

            Nature doesn't lie.

            Another day In Paradise

            Jerry
          • einar kvaran
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 9 8:42 AM
              So where are the examples of folks reliving the past
              because they forgot it? My view is that the most
              troubled spots on the Earth, the Middle East, Ireland,
              the Balkans, central Africa, are all aflame because
              everyone there is fully aware of the past, of what has
              happened to their ancestors and that this is a large
              part of why therse fires can not be put out. eeeeeek

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • SaraAnneC@AOL.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 9 9:16 AM
                In a message dated 8/9/2006 11:08:09 A.M. Central Standard Time, eeklon@... writes:
                So where are the examples of folks reliving the past
                because they forgot it?
                I liken it to picking up a hot skillet without a towel or other heat barrier twixt your hand and the handle.

                We remember what "impact" the "bomb" had on Japan
                and that memory serves as the basis of desires to rid the globe of the proliferation of more bombs just like.

                we tend to remember that kind of  catastrophic stuff.... although globally, yes, it's a lot more convoluted and complex.

                SaraAnne
              • einar kvaran
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 10 7:50 AM
                  I guess it is all in how i look at it.

                  > We remember what "impact" the "bomb" had on Japan
                  and that memory serves as the basis of desires to rid
                  the globe of the proliferation of more bombs just
                  like.

                  My understanding of the world today, [and I don't try
                  very hard] is that there are more people intersted in
                  getting atomic bombs than there are ones trying to get
                  rid of them. eeeeek

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • SaraAnneC@AOL.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 10 7:56 AM
                    In a message dated 8/10/2006 9:53:43 A.M. Central Standard Time, eeklon@... writes:
                    My understanding of the world today, [and I don't try
                    very hard] is that there are more people interested in
                    getting atomic bombs than there are ones trying to get
                    rid of them.  eeeeek
                    yes, and it is very, very disturbing. If you are ever up for a "heavy" read... try Sam Harris's "The End of Faith." It helps explain the current "Muslim state of mind" but essentially, um, "carves a new one" for all three Old Testament religions....

                    SaraAnne
                  • einar kvaran
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 10 8:25 AM
                      I have largely given up "heavy reads" because they
                      tend to make me feel worse after reading them. I feel
                      that I already have all the insights into the minds of
                      the 'People of the Book" that i am likely to need in
                      this lifetime.

                      However I did recently pick up a book that I think I
                      heard about here and that is Sig Lonegren's "Spiritual
                      Dowsing" and recomend it as a book to make one feel
                      better, happier, lighter, -- just all sorts of good
                      things. eeeeeeeek

                      http://mail.yahoo.com