author suggestion

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30 7:14 PM
      This looks interesting:

      "Motel of the Mysteries" by David Macaulay

      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0395284252/sr=8-1/qid=1151719523/
      ref=pd_bbs_1/102-8374361-6304125?ie=UTF8

      blurb from review:

      "If you are a fan of David Macaulay's books about the contruction of such wonders as a
      Cathedral, Pyramid, City, Mill, etc ... then you will really enjoy this book about future
      archaeologists / explorers "discovering" the burried ruins of an American motel room in
      the 41st century ... and the miss-identification of just about every item found.
      I think that this is a book that every archaeologist / historian should read because it
      perfectly explains the traps that we may fall into when trying to explain the past using
      present day knowledge and sensibilities.

      The events portrayed in this book show the reader just how easy it is to make a mistake ...
      even when one's best intentions are at stake."

      some of Macaulay's other stuff appears in the children/young adult section of the library
      (building big series on dams, domes, skyscrapers, etc.). but don't be fooled: it is soooo
      suitable for all ages--high quality stuff that explain things superbly.