[sacredlandscapelist] Offering to the Local Ground Deity

  • catherine yronwode
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 1999
      This commentary reflects contemporary Tibetan Tantric
      Buddhist practice as taught by a Taiwanese monk of
      Taoist/Buddhist upbringing, especially as it relates
      to the concept of "sacred sites" or "earth energies."

      It is from the Purple Lotus Journal website at
      http://www.tbsn.org/wwc/us/PLS/

      ------------

      Offering to the Local Ground Deity

      Taught by Grand Master Sheng-Yen Lu
      Translated by Tim Tapping

      [This article was first published in the True Buddha
      News, Issue No. 93 November 1-14, 1995.]

          The purpose of this practice is to present
      offerings in exchange for help in one's daily
      life. Grand Master Lu says to ask the Local
      Ground Deities because they are the ones who
      are the closest in the spirit realm to us in our
      daily lives. Make your wish to the Local Ground
      Deity for harmony, good health, fortune,
      prosperity of business, or progressive
      achievement in your Tantric Dharma practice.

      Timing

          Regularity in this practice is important. One
      promises the deity to perform once, twice, four
      times or more a month. Auspicious dates are the
      1st and 15th or 2nd and 16th days of the lunar
      month. The correct time is between noon and
      midnight. Yin increases from noon until midnight
      and, since the Local Ground Deity is ruled by
      yin, these are the appropriate hours for this
      practice.

      Offering Food

          Prepare five dishes for the offering. Offer
      whatever you normally eat for dinner. Meat or
      fish, rice or bread, vegetables, soup, fruit, and
      dessert are fine. Pour three glasses of red
      wine. Face the stove with your back to the
      door.

      Display

          Arrange the offerings in four rows. The row
      closest to you has two dishes. The second row
      has three dishes. The third row has the three
      glasses of red wine. The fourth row has incense
      placed in a small water glass or other suitable
      vessel, and filled with rice or the ashes of
      incense.

      Direction

          With your back to the front door, face
      toward inside the house. In the kitchen, face
      the stove with your back to the front door.

      Procedures

          1. Light five sticks of incense. The lighting
      of five sticks of incense establishes a path of
      communication for the practitioner to make a
      personal call to the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas
      to consecrate and join in the practice.

          2. Recite the Earth Deity Mantra. Close
      palms and recite the Purification Mantra from
      the beginning of our liturgy. Seven times say
      the Earth Deity Mantra ("Namo Sam-man-do
      Moh-Toh-nam Om Doh-lo-doh-lo, De-weh,
      So-ha").

          3. Stamp the ground sharply with the left
      foot.

          4. Visualize the Local Ground Deity as a
      well fed, elderly gentleman, with a gold or
      silver bowl in his left hand and a cane or staff
      in his right. He is a beloved family member
      (Santa Clause is your uncle!). He comes over to
      your offering.

          5. Multiply the offering to fill the Universe.
      Bid the deity to enjoy the wine and the food
      that has been prepared.

          6. Pray. After he has finished, humbly
      entreat the Local Ground Deity to listen to your
      request for his assistance. Make your wish
      clear and detailed.

          7. Visualize Amitabha shining red light on
      the Local Ground Deity, and dedicate to him the
      merits of the seven recitations of the Rebirth
      Mantra that you now perform. Conclude the
      practice with "Om bu lin, Om bu lin, Om bu lin, Om
      mani padme hum."

          8. After all five sticks of incense burn out,
      then you may clean the table.

          Note: The Local Ground Deity rules the
      place where the house is actually standing. The
      Local Earth Deity rules an area roughly the size
      of a block around the house. In this practice, if
      one faces away from the front door, it is for the
      Local Ground Deity. If one faces the front door,
      it is for the Local Earth Deity.

      --------

      posted by

      catherine yronwode
      The Esoteric Archive --------- http://www.luckymojo.com/esoteric.html
      The Sacred Landscape ------- http://www.luckymojo.com/sacredland.html
      news:alt.lucky.w --- discussions on folk magic, luck, amulets, charms
    • Barry Carroll
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 10, 1999
        fung shui watch------

        a recent trip to Border's magazine rack revealed a magazine devoted to fung
        shui.
        the name escapes me now.
        most of all what was interesting was that last spring there was a third
        annual fung shui conference in monterery,ca.
        it included speakers including A.T.Mann, author of Sacered Architecture,
        who i am curious about.
        point is, there was a commentary on various "schools" of the practice.
        in the past i have sneered at the trend toward fung shui becoming a
        interior decorator's fad.

        i learned that folks more interested in the energy flow of Chi thru the
        natural landscape
        are refered to as adhearants to the "FORM SCHOOL".