Selfish Gene

  • Eugene Johnson
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2005
      A question just came to me, perhaps you can answer it Mike, I notice
      that all western industrialized nations are experiencing negative
      replacement birth rates for its native populations. Among the European
      countries only Albania has a positive replacement birth rate. In the
      US population increases are solely the result of immigration, legal and
      illegal.

      If our genes are 'selfish' and desire to reproduce themselves, at all
      costs, why are we seeing these declining birth rates? I know you can't
      speak for Mr. Dawkins, but why do you think this is happening? Do you
      think this lack of reproductive activity suggests perhaps that the
      genes are lying down on the job, aren't cutting the mustard? If they
      aren't doesn't this situation call into question the notion that the
      genes control us and suggest that the human mind and will may actually
      be more powerful than the desires of the genes?

      Best regards, Gene J