[sacredlandscapelist] Re: Aide-memoires

  • Mark Swaney
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 20, 1999
      > I've long thought of the zodiac as
      > _primarily_ an aide-memoire. For anyone needing to use the stars for
      > practical purposes, whether to navigate or track seasonal changes, a set of
      > stories built around imaginary images is surely the _only_ way to memorise
      > something as large and random as the heavens. I got into this idea while
      > developing my own stories and images to help me navigate the guitar
      > fretboard. Can you suggest any reading around this subject? I've heard of
      > 'memory castles', but know nothing about them.
      >
      > Mike

      > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/sacredlandscapelist

      Mike,

      The excellant work by Francis Amelia Yeats on this subject is surely a
      classic, "The Art of Memory". In it Yeats details the methods of the "art" of
      memory, considered almost a magic art, and shows how architecture in particular
      was used in conjunction with a method of practice to provide sufficient aids to
      the memory to allow scholars to orate for long periods without losing track of
      what they wished to say.
    • Barry Carroll
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 20, 1999
        get a copy of THE ART OF MEMORY by FRANCES YATES.
        you won't be disappointed. especially re uses for the zodiac other than
        astrology.
        my copy is published by univ of chicago press, but there are earlier
        english editions.
        i promote this book every chance i get.
        Yates was a fellow of the Warburg Institute in the 60's. this is, as i
        understand,
        the graduate history division of the University of London. she is dead now.
        you might be interested also in Architectural Principles in the Age of
        Humanism by Rudolph Witkower
        who was director of the Institute when yates was there.
        it is a round up of essays on the title subject including various
        treatments on the subject of uses of harmony and proportion.
        there is a discussion of ad quadrata design. it was the only
        place i ever heard about it til i read your piece.B

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 20, 1999
          yeah its a big and fascinating subject.
          re mithra:
          i know of the ulaney book and an account of their central mystery from
          one of anthony aveni's books and how it gave early christianity a run for
          its money.
          re runes oghams etc:
          i keep trying to write a piece on the tree ogham described in Graves, The
          White Goddess
          and some of the other old celtic mnemonic stuff he refers to.
          treat your self to a visit to the site DanW turned up if you enjoy ciphers
          and word play.
          your cosign explanation was very helpful and sent me off to get a better
          table. thanks. i'm on track now.
          i found a trig mini course too which was very helpful in answering some
          other questions.
          I'll be sure to report on where that leads.

        • J.Vincent Beall
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 20, 1999
            http://www.randomviolins.org/~dwap/academia/theatre.htm

            Explore the links at the url above.

            Vincent

            Mike Bispham wrote:

            > Barry wrote, in connection with rennes-le-chateau:
            >
            > > in chapter 2 ,it seems author simon miles,
            > a former colaborator of henry lincoln's, is trying to
            > develop a glastonbury zodiac concept in connection with the area.
            > the way he is appraching it synchronizes with my own interest in
            > mnemonic structures-ie,things built to work as texts to aid in memorizing
            > large bodies of information. one nice tidbit was the suggestion that the
            > grail in its form as a bejeweled
            > platter is a symbol for a "planisphere of the northern hemisphere"
            > bejeweled
            > by the stars and planets.<
            >
            > This interests me too Barry. I've long thought of the zodiac as
            > _primarily_ an aide-memoire. For anyone needing to use the stars for
            > practical purposes, whether to navigate or track seasonal changes, a set of
            > stories built around imaginary images is surely the _only_ way to memorise
            > something as large and random as the heavens. I got into this idea while
            > developing my own stories and images to help me navigate the guitar
            > fretboard. Can you suggest any reading around this subject? I've heard of
            > 'memory castles', but know nothing about them.
            >
            > Mike

            > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/sacredlandscapelist
          • Pam Giese
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 21, 1999
              Great site, Vincent!

              Parabola's current edition has the theme Number and Symbols. Folks here may
              want to check it out. A list of articles can be found on their web page at
              http://www.parabola.org

              I found the articles a bit shallow (geometrically and mathematically), but
              there were some interesting insights from the cultural and psychological
              perspective. Related to this discussion, most of the authors miss the
              realization that correspondences to number or symbols were pragmatic
              mneumonic devices as well as esoteric symbols. I especially for Rebecca
              Robinson's article on "Five in the Center" enjoyable. There's also an
              article by Lilith Dorsey on Voudoun veves --that's a tradition that seldom
              comes up when we talk about mystical mathematical systems. Yet as a largely
              verbal tradition, it has some interesting geometric and spatial symbology.
              Like other shamanic traditions, maps and sings become gates ways to other
              worlds.....anyway, it's an interesting issue to peruse while at the newstand
              of your local book store.

            • Rolandmont@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 21, 1999
                Hi Barry and List,

                Buckminster Fuller has a marvelous poem in Synergetics in the Numerology
                chapter about this. It talks about how the Polynesians could only count to
                two and how they memorized complicated sailing directions and names of
                strange stars using songs and maybe were the legendary people who
                circumnavigated the globe long before history.

                RM

                you write:

                << Related to this discussion, most of the authors miss the
                realization that correspondences to number or symbols were pragmatic
                mneumonic devices as well as esoteric symbols. >>
              • Virginia
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 24, 1999
                  Wow and thank you both! An intriguing visit to both. Virginia