Re: [sl] Re: Aachen Cathedral and the 51.1 degree mystery

  • Marc Steurbaut
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 25 8:43 AM
      Some examples of the octagon in religious buildings.

      Labyrinth Amiens cathedral:

      Templar chapel Laon:

      Datum: 08/25/05 16:54:29

      Hi Romaine and Dan

      There's a book by the Dutch author Alberdingk Thijm titled "De Heilige Linie" (1858).
      The 'Holy Line' refers to the fact that churches had to be built on the East-West line with the altar facing the East. It was also recommended to bury the death following this line (feet on the East, head on the West) because it was assumed that Christ will rise in the east on Doomsday. This orientation follows the principles of the Roman religious architecture as seen in the 'Sol Invictus' temples.

      Marc

      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 25 8:52 AM
        Actually Roman and other pagan architecture had their primary opening facing east (with altar in the west) - so that the rising sun would illumine the altar, the temple and the worshipper. The sun-god receive their sacrifice, prayers etc.

        The turn-around in Christian churches was significant and clearly intentional - to use the same idea of light - the altar (where a cross always adorned) became the source of illumination and the focus of worship, not a solar deity.

        John Brian Paprock
        "Sacred Sites of Wisconsin"
        "Sacred Sites of Minnesota"
        available through all major book sellers

        <danw@n...> wrote:
        > Hi, Romaine -
        >
        > What was the "Holy Line" that you refer to.  That sounds
        intriguing.

        > Here is access to pics of aachen cathedral.  Google has a web
        images
        > search that looks like a gold mine for exploring photos of sacred
        sites.

        svnum=10&hl=en&lr=lang_en&q=aachen+cathedral&btnG=Search

        > The baptistry at the cathedral has a carved all-seeing eye.  Since
        the
        > cathedral was built around 790-800, it must have been added later.
        > Surely masonry doesn't go back to the 8th century!
        >

        > Dan
        >

        > Ro wrote:
        >
        > >Hello Dan,
        > >
        > >The situating of sacred places was in the past in the years before
        > >the year 1350 always and a places where leylines cross, a
        powerplace.
        > >The church-builders were obliged to do that, according to
        the "Holy
        > >Line". Most churches of those days are situated on places that
        were
        > >oringinally heathen, were for example a holy tree had been. I
        would
        > >say it is more a coindcidence than that the location is positioned
        > >here for one other of the mentioned reasons.
        > >
        > >Friendly greetings,
        > >Romaine
        > >

        > >--- In sacredlandscapelist@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel N. Washburn"
        > ><danw@n...> wrote:

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Marc Steurbaut
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 25 12:12 PM
          Hm... Look at this, the cross on the altar was added in the 19th century.

          <danw@n...> wrote:
          > Hi, Romaine -
          >
          > What was the "Holy Line" that you refer to.  That sounds
          intriguing.

          > Here is access to pics of aachen cathedral.  Google has a web
          images
          > search that looks like a gold mine for exploring photos of sacred
          sites.

          svnum=10&hl=en&lr=lang_en&q=aachen+cathedral&btnG=Search

          > The baptistry at the cathedral has a carved all-seeing eye.  Since
          the
          > cathedral was built around 790-800, it must have been added later.
          > Surely masonry doesn't go back to the 8th century!
          >

          > Dan
          >

          > Ro wrote:
          >
          > >Hello Dan,
          > >
          > >The situating of sacred places was in the past in the years before
          > >the year 1350 always and a places where leylines cross, a
          powerplace.
          > >The church-builders were obliged to do that, according to
          the "Holy
          > >Line". Most churches of those days are situated on places that
          were
          > >oringinally heathen, were for example a holy tree had been. I
          would
          > >say it is more a coindcidence than that the location is positioned
          > >here for one other of the mentioned reasons.
          > >
          > >Friendly greetings,
          > >Romaine
          > >

          > >--- In sacredlandscapelist@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel N. Washburn"
          > ><danw@n...> wrote:

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Marc Steurbaut
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 25 12:33 PM
            Sorry, had some problems with my mailbox.
            Look at the figure behind the altar. The cross on the altar was added in the 19th century.

            <danw@n...> wrote:
            > Hi, Romaine -
            >
            > What was the "Holy Line" that you refer to.  That sounds
            intriguing.

            > Here is access to pics of aachen cathedral.  Google has a web
            images
            > search that looks like a gold mine for exploring photos of sacred
            sites.

            svnum=10&hl=en&lr=lang_en&q=aachen+cathedral&btnG=Search

            > The baptistry at the cathedral has a carved all-seeing eye.  Since
            the
            > cathedral was built around 790-800, it must have been added later.
            > Surely masonry doesn't go back to the 8th century!
            >

            > Dan
            >

            > Ro wrote:
            >
            > >Hello Dan,
            > >
            > >The situating of sacred places was in the past in the years before
            > >the year 1350 always and a places where leylines cross, a
            powerplace.
            > >The church-builders were obliged to do that, according to
            the "Holy
            > >Line". Most churches of those days are situated on places that
            were
            > >oringinally heathen, were for example a holy tree had been. I
            would
            > >say it is more a coindcidence than that the location is positioned
            > >here for one other of the mentioned reasons.
            > >
            > >Friendly greetings,
            > >Romaine
            > >

            > >--- In sacredlandscapelist@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel N. Washburn"
            > ><danw@n...> wrote:

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • John-Brian Paprock
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 25 1:37 PM
              Specific and individual variations are plentiful - I have no idea if that is a replacement cross you are speaking of or not and I admit that I do not very much about the Aachen Cathedral.  I was commenting on the generality of direction and placement of altars and temples, making a distinction that Christians very often had significant changes to temple design and specific theology about the differences - common threads notwithstanding.

              My source is an interesting work: "Architecture: Mysticism and Myth" by William Lethaby, first published in 1891 - Architectural Press re-published it in 1974, the copy I have is a 1975 printing by publisher, George Braziller (NYC).

              <danw@n...> wrote:
              > Hi, Romaine -
              >
              > What was the "Holy Line" that you refer to.  That sounds
              intriguing.

              > Here is access to pics of aachen cathedral.  Google has a web
              images
              > search that looks like a gold mine for exploring photos of sacred
              sites.

              svnum=10&hl=en&lr=lang_en&q=aachen+cathedral&btnG=Search

              > The baptistry at the cathedral has a carved all-seeing eye.  Since
              the
              > cathedral was built around 790-800, it must have been added later.
              > Surely masonry doesn't go back to the 8th century!
              >

              > Dan
              >

              > Ro wrote:
              >
              > >Hello Dan,
              > >
              > >The situating of sacred places was in the past in the years before
              > >the year 1350 always and a places where leylines cross, a
              powerplace.
              > >The church-builders were obliged to do that, according to
              the "Holy
              > >Line". Most churches of those days are situated on places that
              were
              > >oringinally heathen, were for example a holy tree had been. I
              would
              > >say it is more a coindcidence than that the location is positioned
              > >here for one other of the mentioned reasons.
              > >
              > >Friendly greetings,
              > >Romaine
              > >

              > >--- In sacredlandscapelist@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel N. Washburn"
              > ><danw@n...> wrote:

              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Marc Steurbaut
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 25 1:44 PM
                Oh boy! Could you send me a copy lol.

                <danw@n...> wrote:
                > Hi, Romaine -
                >
                > What was the "Holy Line" that you refer to.  That sounds
                intriguing.

                > Here is access to pics of aachen cathedral.  Google has a web
                images
                > search that looks like a gold mine for exploring photos of sacred
                sites.

                svnum=10&hl=en&lr=lang_en&q=aachen+cathedral&btnG=Search

                > The baptistry at the cathedral has a carved all-seeing eye.  Since
                the
                > cathedral was built around 790-800, it must have been added later.
                > Surely masonry doesn't go back to the 8th century!
                >

                > Dan
                >

                > Ro wrote:
                >
                > >Hello Dan,
                > >
                > >The situating of sacred places was in the past in the years before
                > >the year 1350 always and a places where leylines cross, a
                powerplace.
                > >The church-builders were obliged to do that, according to
                the "Holy
                > >Line". Most churches of those days are situated on places that
                were
                > >oringinally heathen, were for example a holy tree had been. I
                would
                > >say it is more a coindcidence than that the location is positioned
                > >here for one other of the mentioned reasons.
                > >
                > >Friendly greetings,
                > >Romaine
                > >

                > >--- In sacredlandscapelist@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel N. Washburn"
                > ><danw@n...> wrote:

                Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Marc Steurbaut
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 25 2:09 PM
                  The photo I sent wasn't Aachen cathedral but the altar of a cathedral-like church in a little village where the Black Madonna is venerated (for bringing deathborn children to life just for the time needed to be baptised). A very strange place.
                  BTW I did mean it about the book.

                  Marc

                  <danw@n...> wrote:
                  > Hi, Romaine -
                  >
                  > What was the "Holy Line" that you refer to.  That sounds
                  intriguing.

                  > Here is access to pics of aachen cathedral.  Google has a web
                  images
                  > search that looks like a gold mine for exploring photos of sacred
                  sites.

                  svnum=10&hl=en&lr=lang_en&q=aachen+cathedral&btnG=Search

                  > The baptistry at the cathedral has a carved all-seeing eye.  Since
                  the
                  > cathedral was built around 790-800, it must have been added later.
                  > Surely masonry doesn't go back to the 8th century!
                  >

                  > Dan
                  >

                  > Ro wrote:
                  >
                  > >Hello Dan,
                  > >
                  > >The situating of sacred places was in the past in the years before
                  > >the year 1350 always and a places where leylines cross, a
                  powerplace.
                  > >The church-builders were obliged to do that, according to
                  the "Holy
                  > >Line". Most churches of those days are situated on places that
                  were
                  > >oringinally heathen, were for example a holy tree had been. I
                  would
                  > >say it is more a coindcidence than that the location is positioned
                  > >here for one other of the mentioned reasons.
                  > >
                  > >Friendly greetings,
                  > >Romaine
                  > >

                  > >--- In sacredlandscapelist@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel N. Washburn"
                  > ><danw@n...> wrote:

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                • John-Brian Paprock
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 25 2:12 PM
                    literally found my copy at half price books.... sorry only have one copy and I am currently using it for a research project

                    <danw@n...> wrote:
                    > Hi, Romaine -
                    >
                    > What was the "Holy Line" that you refer to.  That sounds
                    intriguing.

                    > Here is access to pics of aachen cathedral.  Google has a web
                    images
                    > search that looks like a gold mine for exploring photos of sacred
                    sites.

                    svnum=10&hl=en&lr=lang_en&q=aachen+cathedral&btnG=Search

                    > The baptistry at the cathedral has a carved all-seeing eye.  Since
                    the
                    > cathedral was built around 790-800, it must have been added later.
                    > Surely masonry doesn't go back to the 8th century!
                    >

                    > Dan
                    >

                    > Ro wrote:
                    >
                    > >Hello Dan,
                    > >
                    > >The situating of sacred places was in the past in the years before
                    > >the year 1350 always and a places where leylines cross, a
                    powerplace.
                    > >The church-builders were obliged to do that, according to
                    the "Holy
                    > >Line". Most churches of those days are situated on places that
                    were
                    > >oringinally heathen, were for example a holy tree had been. I
                    would
                    > >say it is more a coindcidence than that the location is positioned
                    > >here for one other of the mentioned reasons.
                    > >
                    > >Friendly greetings,
                    > >Romaine
                    > >

                    > >--- In sacredlandscapelist@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel N. Washburn"
                    > ><danw@n...> wrote:

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Marc Steurbaut
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 25 2:17 PM
                      Could you give a brief description of it?
                      Thanks.

                      <danw@n...> wrote:
                      > Hi, Romaine -
                      >
                      > What was the "Holy Line" that you refer to.  That sounds
                      intriguing.

                      > Here is access to pics of aachen cathedral.  Google has a web
                      images
                      > search that looks like a gold mine for exploring photos of sacred
                      sites.

                      svnum=10&hl=en&lr=lang_en&q=aachen+cathedral&btnG=Search

                      > The baptistry at the cathedral has a carved all-seeing eye.  Since
                      the
                      > cathedral was built around 790-800, it must have been added later.
                      > Surely masonry doesn't go back to the 8th century!
                      >

                      > Dan
                      >

                      > Ro wrote:
                      >
                      > >Hello Dan,
                      > >
                      > >The situating of sacred places was in the past in the years before
                      > >the year 1350 always and a places where leylines cross, a
                      powerplace.
                      > >The church-builders were obliged to do that, according to
                      the "Holy
                      > >Line". Most churches of those days are situated on places that
                      were
                      > >oringinally heathen, were for example a holy tree had been. I
                      would
                      > >say it is more a coindcidence than that the location is positioned
                      > >here for one other of the mentioned reasons.
                      > >
                      > >Friendly greetings,
                      > >Romaine
                      > >

                      > >--- In sacredlandscapelist@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel N. Washburn"
                      > ><danw@n...> wrote:

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 26 4:12 AM
                        The Octagon was used as the shape for the baptismal font in early
                        christianity. This generalized over into baptistry buildings -- for
                        example the baptistry attached to the Duomo Cathedral in Florence is an
                        octagon. And in to church architecture in general. For example the
                        Baptist church near where I live is an octagon.

                        I suspect that the source for the number 8 here is the fact that
                        christians are baptized into the name of Jesus and that the letters of
                        that name in Greek sum to 888 via gematria.

                        Another explanation that you will find in books on early christianity is
                        that Jesus was crucified on friday, was in the tomb on Saturday, the
                        sabbath, the end of the week, and rose on Sunday, the first day of the
                        new week. Except that the first day was interpreted as the eighth day
                        of the old week. The eighth day thus became a symbol for the
                        resurrection and the new beginning, the end of history and the beginning
                        of the reign of god.

                        This fit with comtemporary Jewish ideas that saw history in the light of
                        'one day of the Lord is a thousand years'. History would end after the
                        seventh thousand year cycle and the world would be born anew into god.

                        There were also Jewish and gnostic ideas about the 7 heavens, with the
                        eighth being the dwelling place of God.

                        In Sufism the interlaced squares that form an octagon are an important
                        part of esoteric symbolism , but I don't know the meaning. The Octagon
                        Press publishes Idries Shah's books on Sufism. Anyone know the meaning
                        of the symbolic geometry of the interlaced squares?

                        Dan

                      • Ro
                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 27 9:35 AM
                          Hello Marc & Dan,

                          The Holy Line is in later ages the east-west-drection, but this was
                          ordered by the church. The direction of churches und chapels was
                          exactly east, but roughly east. In the years before 1350 it was
                          important to use the sacred line. It was important to build churches
                          on crosspoints of leylines. These energylines are multiple used with
                          the building of a church. It happens that the leylines are more
                          important than the east-direction, there churches have been placed in
                          a northern or southern direction. In Spanish books is written that
                          the churches are East-west, but in the north of Spain many of the
                          churches are north-south (all of them built by Templars). So the
                          exact position to the east wasn't as important as building on
                          leylines. This I would like the call the "Holy Line". And this holy
                          line was forbidden to be on the ("heathen") powerplaces, churches
                          should be built to the eastern direction, that is it (they said). It
                          was heathen to locate a church on such places as where the heathen
                          people had their sacred sites, they said.

                          Friendly greetings,
                          Romaine

                          --- In sacredlandscapelist@yahoogroups.com, "Marc Steurbaut"